H5.2TC Opinions

esm

Hi all,

I have done some research but come up a little short with general opinions of this box compared to others.

I personally use a VU+ Solo SE V2 twin cable tuner and cannot fault it.

My parents are still on a Amiko Alien 2 but with the sly channels disappearing I am trying to push them down the Cable route (they already have VM BB).

They are looking for a cheaper alternative to the VU+ and I wondered if anyone can comment on most importantly the picture quality of the H5.2TC box, but secondly overall performance compared to other boxes?

I have bought a H2S for a friend and was pleasantly surprised how snappy it was for a budget box, so am guessing the H5.2TC would be very close in performance.

Any help appreciated!

Jimmy

in comparison to your hs2 it will be a faster box with better specs, but as always zgemma`s are not without there problems which is why so many people need help with them. hence the amount of posts on this site. cos there cheap?? sorry to sound dull but thats the truth.

There`s a few good cable boxes out there m8, so have a good look around before you buy...Zgemma are ok, but can be a bit problematic now and then..

Because they're cheap, that makes them a popular box... just because there's a lot of people have issues, that's not to say it's an issue with the box but more of an indication of how popular the boxes are. For example, If Vu only sell 100 boxes and 5 people have issues so that's only 5% and Zgemma sell 1000 boxes and 50 people have issues but that's still only 5%.

The "problems" that people may have with the boxes are 99% down to the user not knowing how to set up and operate the box too let's not forget that.

I've personally owned my H5.2TC for a good few months now and it's still running as troublesome free as it was on day 1.

Thanks for the speedy responses chaps!

Can you guys who own a box comment on how the HD quality compares to a genuine VM or SLY box?

Not owned a genuine box for a few years so hard to compare but it's a really good sharp picture.

I have had my h5. 2tc for a couple of months too..... I also own a official tivo from vm in a different room...... Absolutely no difference in my opinion..... Can't speak for the newer v6 box that vm do now as I don't own one.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys that is enough to sell me, I'm technically sound so can fix any little issues my parents run into (can't imagine it being any worse than the Amiko) :grin:

In terms of picture quality I would have to say my H2H is superior to the H5.2TC, I would put it at a 5% difference . My feeling is the internal splitting of the cable feed in the H5.2TC is responsible. Have played with all the builds and interchanged cables, setups and the variance is roughly the same. Anyone else noticed this?

I have just purchased my first of these boxes. Previously I used TVHeadend ("TVH") installed on my home "server" PC, but there seem to be numerous picture freezes, glitches and tearing. It was also difficult to get support from my cable provider as his customers all typically use these Enigma-style boxes. A friend also indicated fewer freezes & glitches when using his older VU+ box (don't know the model...)

So, I purchased the H5.2TC. Setup was pretty simple, following guides, forum posts, etc. However, I have moved towards the iPab image as this had a means to do an automated scan of the Virgin Media channels. The standard OpenATV image doesn't seem to include the "autobouquetmaker" package anymore and wasn't able to find an appropriate download in resulting searches either (before finding Ipab and trying that instead). The setup is complete, I have a nice Sky-style skin on, and the picture does not seem to freeze, glitch or tear as much as it would on TVH, though there has been the odd short freeze. Currently it only has a USB stick inserted as the local HDD, which may be affecting performance.

My home network has many Kodi installs, on different hardware (Pi's through to Zotac STB devices) that all used to be able to plug into the TVH with a PVR client install. This is an absolute must for the house! So trying to migrate this using H5.2TC box instead.

Steps taken (on networked Kodi box) were:
1. Disable TVH PVR Client
2. Enable VU+ PVR Client
3. Settings > Live TV > Clear data (to reset the stored channels. this can be done regularly)
4. On confirming the above, the PVR client is rescanned. With VU+, this took AGES to import the EPG data, but eventually completed
5. Play a channel on the Kodi box. It does not start... Switching back to the H5.2TC, playback has completely frozen.

On Ipad's forum, he indicates it shouldn't be used for this purpose, but it is essential for me. What are the opinions of different images, as well??

What are people's opinions and experiences of the H5.2TC box for the above purpose, using Kodi's "VU+" PVR client? Have I done something wrong? Is this Zgemma box up to the task? Is the USB stick likely to be causing any issues? Device is listed as "10/100mbps interface", could this be the problem? Do I need to create multiple bouquets and only import a smaller set of channels using the VU+ PVR client? Which image should be used?Or would a different brand be more suitable, expecting due to better specs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Have your router give ur zgemma a static ip address, as this can cause headaches down the line if not done, as router may reboot in future and give zgemma a differnet ip address, causing ur vu+ clients searching for a non existent vu ip address.

Secondly, i find instead of having all channels, its best to create a favourites bouquet, that way ur only importing that instead of 1000's of channels etc.

Back