Hard Drive Help Needed

Spyke

How do you initialise a drive bigger than 32GB?
I'm using Wooshbuild V4 with a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer which is working but too small for my needs.
I bought two 62Gb USB's and both failed to initialise with the standard exfat file system. Windows7 only has the option of converting to NTFS so I used HPUSBDisk to convert to FAT32. Doing this reduced the volume size to 32GB, although clicking on the drives properties shows that it is 62GB. Plugged back into box and still failing to initialise.
I have run both the USB's through HDDGURU low level format on the quick format setting a couple of times and still no luck, running a full format at the mo .. 1hr in and at 45%.
I can transfer files to and from my laptop/USB so I'm guessing they are not duffers.
Any ideas?
Ta

Should be in the H2s section!

Last edited:
Sounds like they are duff mate I got 2 128gb works fine on the pc then onto the zgemma and won't initialise and if does doesn't record just a black screen then when it goes back to the pc it says write protected and now initial can't use them, yet my 8gb works fine going to buy some from andros and see if they work just too make sure

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had the write protected issue too but using HPUSBDisk sorted it so I can still use them on the laptop.

Both new drives still not working and I can't get my last working USB to initialise again. Anyone point me in the right direction .. nothing I found on the forums has worked yet.
Also box won't reflash frommy back up either!

Ta

Last edited by a moderator:
Have reformatted many times .. going back to my 16GB San Disk which has been reformatted to Fat32. It won't initialise again.

New drives are unknown brands from a company called Gear Best .. I'm giving up on them!
This is what I did from a post on here -

OK changing storage device should be a fair simple process.

Leave your existing drive in the USB ports. Insert the new USB device in the free port and follow the steps to initialise the drive. Make sure you select the correct drive from the list you will see.
Shut down the box (Deep sleep) and then turn it off via the switch.
Remove original USB and put new usb in the back of box (or wherever you want it)
Turn on the box.

Use the instructions to create a swap file on the new usb.
Open plugins and select AutoBouquet E2 and press the green button to scn followed by Yes
When complete, return to plugins and select CrossEPG.

I never got to the end of the instructions before the new drive failed .. tried going back to San Disk but it wouldn't pause/rewind/record now stuck trying to get it to work.
If I put my San Disk into my computer I have no choice but to format.

Ok been there tried cheapies dont work email them tell them want refund what build are u using

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ok been there tried cheapies dont work email them tell them want refund what build are u using

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Wooshbuild V4 ... on an H2s .. realised I was on the wrong forum after I put up first post but 2s and H2s are the same..

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ----------

Ah .. moved to the correct forum.. ta

Format your drives on a pc, it's much easier. If you use mini partition wizard you can delete the existing partition and create a new primary partition in whatever format you want. (I always use Ext4 for the HDD) There's a link to the free version in my sig. You don't have to initialise the drive on the box once it's done on the pc.

It needs formatting to Ext for timeshift as per my previous post. The error message is telling you that the hdd is not ext format so it can't work.

It needs formatting to Ext for timeshift as per my previous post. The error message is telling you that the hdd is not ext format so it can't work.

I d/loaded your prog .. deleted partitions then formatted to ext4 .. took about 10-15 mins.
Thinking it would be easier to just do a factory reset and start again!!

Thinking it would be easier to just do a factory reset and start again!!

It's much faster than a low level format and a factory reset won't format the drive for you.

Definitely .. llf took me 4 hours!!!!
Bloody thing was perfect before I tried to swap over the drive .. I'm guessing that the swap file will need redoing and EPG has gone too.

Yes, just setup the swap file and make sure your timeshift, epg and recording paths are right and the job's a good un!

reformatted usb to fat 32 on laptop .. plugged into back of box .. initilised usb and it went back to TV on completion so assuming initialisation is working OK.
Went to set timeshift setting to - automatically start timeshift after 2 secs and got the same error as post #10.
Could the problem be elsewhere?

No!

If you're trying to run timeshift on the USB it needs to be formatted to Ext4. Have you got a microsd in the side of the box as well or just the usb?

Edit: You can format to Fat32 as often as you like, as soon as you initialise it on the box it will convert it to Ext3 or Ext4 but the ZG sometimes struggles with older or cheaper drives.
So what I am saying is:
Plug it in your PC - delete the Fat32 partition or whatever it is now - Create a shiny new primary ext4 partition (with minitool partition wizard) - plug it in the zg and power it up and it will just work without initialising.
Then you just need to set up a swap partition etc, etc.

Last edited:
Just the USB

---------- Post Merged at 11:26 PM ----------

No!

If you're trying to run timeshift on the USB it needs to be formatted to Ext4. Have you got a microsd in the side of the box as well or just the usb?

Edit: You can format to Fat32 as often as you like, as soon as you initialise it on the box it will convert it to Ext3 or Ext4 but the ZG sometimes struggles with older or cheaper drives.
So what I am saying is:
Plug it in your PC - delete the Fat32 partition or whatever it is now - Create a shiny new primary ext4 partition (with minitool partition wizard) - plug it in the zg and power it up and it will just work without initialising.
Then you just need to set up a swap partition etc, etc.

Will have to come back to this tomorrow .. time and the alcohol is catching up on me .. Thx for the help so far.

Yeah mate I'm using 128 gb Sandisk cruzer blade and not having any issues too. Maybe you should buy one of them if your having issues with your current stick

Did you just plug it in or did you have to change the format from exfat?

Back