Help baffled

Hi, new to this, so if I'm in the wrong forum, sorry

Anyway just cancelled sky after years of being charged sky high chages, thought right get a humax freesat box and away I go, I will need 2 as we have multiroom, but wow a bit expensive as I will want WiFi and to be recordable,

So here' the question, I've seen openboxes, zegemma boxes, and others much cheaper than humax, but what the hell is the difference, im not quite a nerd, i like my gadgets and can connect things internety, n that, so please help.

Basically I want 2 boxes that can record 2 channels ie twin tuners, built in drive, although I suppose I could plug an external one if need be, WiFi enabled, not Ethernet as I hate cables, and an epg, and to receive all 200 Freesat channels, it has to be simple to use as my wife reluctantly let me cancel sky, I know we won' get sky channels but the unit has to be simple to record as my wife isn' exactly techo, I have a kodi stick so can watch films on that, so could someone please advise what to get instead of a pricy humax, openbox, zegemma or what, thank you

what sort of budget do you have,?
loads of choice, and, you can put a sky lookalike image on them too,
prices from £50 to the skies the limit almost,
not all boxes have internal HDD, but you can use a USB drive on the ones that dont, thats what I do,
but, I'm going to set up a network drive for my boxes to share, so anything recorded on one box can be viewed on the other

oh, and there is a method of getting quite a lot of the sky supplied channels, just not the actual sky branded ones, ;)

What are they charging for a Humax with the features you describe. There are a stack of enigma 2 receivers that can do what you want and much more besides. They are also wife friendly when configured properly, mine is a complete technophobe and recently asked me to buy another E2 receiver just for her to use as she loves the one in the lounge so much.

What are they charging for a Humax with the features you describe. There are a stack of enigma 2 receivers that can do what you want and much more besides. They are also wife friendly when configured properly, mine is a complete technophobe and recently asked me to buy another E2 receiver just for her to use as she loves the one in the lounge so much.
Humax box with twin tuners, WiFi, peg, around £180 each would need 2

The most expensive box I have is an Edision osmega which can take an internal hdd I use one out of an old laptop I scrapped. It has wifi, triple tuner the third tuner can use satellite, cable or terrestial. For your purposes connect two sat cables and an ordinary aerial and have freeview and freesat with full epg plus record at least 2 channels watch a third. You can make it look exactly like sky or nothing like it entirely your preference. If you have certain sections of channels you never watch they can be hidden, Install IPTV player free and once you set it up with one click on your remote you have access to all the movies and tvshows you can get on kodi but easier to understand. Cost of this was £159 and it does everything we need. Our second box is the Formuler F1 mentioned by steptoe which can do everything the Osmega can do but needs an external hdd again a triple tuner 2 satellite one cable or terrestrial. and is currently £89 including the optional 3rd tuner £79 without.
Bit of a learning curve to set them up first time but I managed and I am an oldy with not the greatest IT skills

Thaks, really appreciate the fast responses of hep on here,

I would like something as similar as possible to a sky box, not really bothered about hdd space as my wife only copies soaps n a few films, but if its complicated for her to use, boy am I in for it, as she didn't want to cancel sky, in fact I thought go buy a couple of humaxes, sorted except didn' realise the price, and completey baffled with openblxes, closedboxes, zgemmas and the rest, just want to watch Freesat and record,

actually,
I've just had a check,
I dont see any wifi option for the Edision range,
could you confirm if this is correct @1999gtv ?
they do offer a wifi option on the formuler tho

Yes a sub stick would be ok, how many emmerdales would my financial advisor get on that, just been looking at a zegemma, what is a Linux system

pc world toshiba canvio ready 500gb £39.99 or the 1TB version for £45.99 so for the extra few quid worth going 1tb

Linux system is the type of operating system the box is based on, it is opensource software unlike windows which is closed source. Both windows and linux would be derived from unix/posix (derivatives of anyway). Windows morphed into a bloated monster whereas linux remained closer to its roots and is capable of running on devices with far less overheads in things like memory usage. I use linux exclusively and will not have windows anywhere near our pcs and electronics devices. I prefer the reliability and the fact it is free and opensource.

Yes a sub stick would be ok, how many emmerdales would my financial advisor get on that, just been looking at a zegemma, what is a Linux system

a 64G stick holds about 12 hours of HD video,, so say 11 to be on the safe side,
thats a fair few episodes of corrie, or emmerdale, :)
if they are both on every evening thats 2 weeks worth,

If you are happy with using usb sticks to record on I would go for two formuler F1 boxes they seem well made and are a lot cheaper than the Humax. If you do opt for the 3rd tuner which will pull in freeview as well you will have a few different channels to the ones on freesat. Best of both worlds really, if you just want freesat skip the third tuner. The only reason I am not overly keen on the zgemma range is the quality is not quite as good on one of a similar price to the F1. The zgemma is not a bad box one of my sons has the h2s and is happy enough with it. You can buy 2 F1 receivers including third tuner on each for £178 or £158 for two without the third tuner delivery is about £6,99. As an added bonus with all the receivers mentioned in this thread you can enable the vu+ enigma client in any kodi box in the house and import your channels and epg to the kodi box to view from there. The only prerequisite is you need good wifi connection and be on same network

Back