High response time

narl

Just looking at the panel my line subscriber has activated.

I have a reported time of
Channel VM HISTORY (961ms) OK

Average time is 1524 ms

Are these unusually high?

I have tried several line suppliers and have had freezing issues for a time.

Everything from the cab to the home has been swapped out with new cables, splitters etc but still have the issue.

The only thing I can think of is changing ISP providers.

I haven’t tried a power splitter but I will say my SNR never moves from 100%.

New splitters were installed when all cables etc were replaced by VM.

I’ve rolled back to 1.45of mgcamd but the same issue remains. I’ve also tried oscam which was the most unstable.

Not sure what you mean snr at 100%? - if you mean the little snr in the right hand corner of the screen, this shouldn't be so high all the time unless there's something not right, mine very rarely glitches and it's rarely above 73%
Having too strong a signal is just as bad as having a weak one. I don't think changing ISP would solve anything neither.
Have VM supplied those nasty white plastic splitters?

the EMC time you have is not high for cable, I've seen higher. at the moment I'm floating between 500 to 1000 without any issues but have seen it higher before. It doesn't appear to be as important on cable unlike on satellite

Not sure what you mean snr at 100%? - if you mean the little snr in the right hand corner of the screen, this shouldn't be so high all the time unless there's something not right, mine very rarely glitches and it's rarely above 73%
Having too strong a signal is just as bad as having a weak one. I don't think changing ISP would solve anything neither.
Have VM supplied those nasty white plastic splitters?

I'm literally a few feet away from the cab in the street the signal sits at 100%, it rarely moves.
The splitters VM installed were the metal ones technetics I believe they are.

the EMC time you have is not high for cable, I've seen higher. at the moment I'm floating between 500 to 1000 without any issues but have seen it higher before. It doesn't appear to be as important on cable unlike on satellite

Ah that's ok, it can freeze quite a bit, the only thing I cant seem to do is get a stable connection.
Here is the line stats from the panel.

Total ECM requests 3738
Accepted ECM requests 3658
Good ECM answer 2990
Average Time 1165 ms
Total Freeze 668

I am just wondering do I need to an a 20db attenuator as the signal may be to high for the VU + Duo2 tuner and that could be making it freeze.

One lesson i learned is a new splitter is not 100% sure guaranteed to work as it should and i have had 3 fitted in the last 2yrs and as mentioned earlier in the thread sometimes a high signal level can be just as bas as a low level :(y):

Yeah, I have swapped the splitters over, the techs that came out left a few new ones here.
I don't know what else I can try, everything I have tried has been the same outcome, unless there is an issue with the mg_cfg file, but I don't think that is the problem.

there's a new mg-cfg file in the Downloads section, there have been lots of reports in recent months of mgcamd softcam being responsible for lots of problems.
delete the mg-cfg softcam from your box and download and install the new softcam to try that first, but I'm wary of the fact the VM dudes left any splitters there.
Never heard of this before, unless you asked for them? - or they thought you needed them?
I'm beginning to suspect a duff tuner/box after so many lines/tests and the amount of work VM have done, is there anyone lives nearby you know where could try your box at? and loan their box overnight to see if it works? - if their box works at yours and yours doesn't work at theirs, there's a problem with your box.
Not the first BTW

there's a new mg-cfg file in the Downloads section, there have been lots of reports in recent months of mgcamd softcam being responsible for lots of problems.
delete the mg-cfg softcam from your box and download and install the new softcam to try that first, but I'm wary of the fact the VM dudes left any splitters there.
Never heard of this before, unless you asked for them? - or they thought you needed them?
I'm beginning to suspect a duff tuner/box after so many lines/tests and the amount of work VM have done, is there anyone lives nearby you know where could try your box at? and loan their box overnight to see if it works? - if their box works at yours and yours doesn't work at theirs, there's a problem with your box.
Not the first BTW

The guy had several, he got a fry up and tea which he was more than thankful for, he left 3 brand new ones which I have swapped out today, in relation to the box, I also have a ZGemma here that also appears to suffer the same problem, but then again I heard the tuners in the ZGemma are relatively shit.
There is no one else that I know in the area that uses CS most people keep it very hush hush.

Below is the mg_cfg file I use.

Code:
# EMM messages
#    00 don't show any EMMs (default)
#    01 show only valid EMMs
#    02 show valid and bad EMMs with complete data display
M: { 02 }

# ECM messages
#    00 don't show anything about ecm
#    01 normal mode, show pids processed, decoded ecm and cw
#    02 verbose mode, show valid and bad ECMs with data
C: { 01 }

# AU
#    00 disable, no emm pids processed
#    01 enable, emm pids always processed for soft-au and shared cards
#    02 auto, emm started only if channel cant be decoded
#    03 process emm pids for network cards update only
A: { 02 }

# key update (sum 01 or 02 with 04)
#    01 update only new keys, default setting
#    02 update all keys (used for valid PMK checking)
#    04 enable TPS au
#    + tps SID, which pmt pid contains au pid
U: { 02 } 0x12c0

# config files folder (softcam, autoroll, ignore/priority)
#    00 files in /var/keys
#    01 files in /tmp
T: { 00 }

# network mode, use summ for several clients
#    00 no network (default)
#    01 newcamd netclient
#    02 radegast netclient
#    04 camd3 netclient
#    08 gbox netclient
#    32    cccamd netclient, card list saved as /tmp/cccamd.info
#        (ECM only, supported server version up to 2.1.1, later not work)
G: { 33 }

# network retry, use summ for several options
#    00 disable
#    01 retry every new ecm
#    02 try to connect to offline shares every Q: seconds
#    04 try to detect and fast reconnect to lost (and not used atm) server
#    + XX messages number and YY seconds to reconnect
#    mg will reconnect to server, if no answer to last XX ecm/keepalive or
#    if no answer for last ecm or keepalive sent for YY seconds
#    set to 0 to disable
N: { 07 } 5 30

# network ecm timeout in seconds
K: { 10 }

# newcamd dead routes connect retry, sec
Q: { 600 }

# network shares priority
# 00 gbox, newcamd, cccamd, radegast, camd3 (default)
# 01 camd3, radegast, cccamd, gbox, newcamd
# 02 cccamd, newcamd, camd3, gbox, radegast
P: { 00 }

# on screen display type
#    00 No OSD (default)
#    01 neutrino
#    02 enigma
#    03 relook
#    + user password for http auth
O: { 00 } username password

# on screen display Options, summ of:
#    01 show emu ecm
#    02 show network shares messages
#    04 show decoding failed / fta
#    08 show emm keys update
#    + web port to use for osd
S: { 03 } 80

# Log option, summ of:
#    00 off
#    01 network udp log
#    02 log to console
#    04 file, appended ! delete it by yourself, before it eat all your hdd
#    + IP udp-port log-file-name
L: { 00 } 172.16.1.1 28007 /tmp/mgcamd.log

# keep ecm cache, seconds
# every cache entry takes 28 bytes, so 24h cache will take *only* 240-400kb of memory,
# for openbox/elanvision users with remote shares make sense to set it higher than default value,
# to not hammer cards while timeshifting or playing crypted recordings.
E: { 15 }

# cache option, summ of:
#    00 Off (default)
#    01 Ecm pids cache, store pids used to decode in /tmp/ca_cache.list at exit, load at startup, same syntax as restore.list
#    02 Ecm data cache, remember CW for (E:) time
#    04 Emm cache for network cards, do not resend the same emm twice, cache not cleared until restart
H: { 07 }

# reread files, summ of:
#    00 No (default)
#    01 reread config file on channel change (including priority and ignore, but not replace/cache)
#    02 reread SoftCam.Key on channel change
#    04 reread SoftCam.Key if file changed
R: { 00 }

# debug, summ of
# 00 off (default)
# 01 debug ecm
# 02 debug emm
# 04 debug network ecm
# 08 debug network emm
# 16 debug network login
# 32 show mem/cpu stats every 1 min
# 64 add timestamp to log messages
D: { 00 }

# box type
# 00 autodetect, change only if you think wrong type detected.
# 01 dbox2
# 02 dreambox
# 03 triple-dragon
# 04 relook
# 05 openbox
# 06 dreambox/mips
# 08 stapi/kathrein
# 09 stapi/ipbox
# 11 stapi/openbox
B: { 06 }

# map all 180x nagra caids to 1801
# default is 01
F: { 00 }

the ZG tuners are fine, I'm using one, although that means nothing really but it's highly unlikely you've got 2 different makes of cable box with a duff tuner in both - this removes one thing from the suspect list.
The different splitters removes a second from the suspect list.
You've removed a supplier problem yourself by taking extra tests etc which largely eliminates a third thing.
What cables are you using between the router and cable box? - have you tried any different ones?
Have you swapped the cables over from the splitter - so that the coax that was going to box goes to router and the cable that was going to router now goes to the box?

Also, having just read your mg-cfg file, Have you tried the working one from Downloads?

The only one in the downloads section is from May of last year, there isn't really anything there.

In relation to setup, when I say everything has been changed I really do mean everything.
  • Coax cable changed.
  • splitters changed.
  • connection from the cab to the home has been changed.
  • Rj45 has been changed.
  • Firmware has been updated.
  • Fly cables replaced by VM a few weeks ago.
  • Connection at amp at the cab was put on to a new section.
The only thing that has not been replaced is the superhub - that may well be the issue, or the connection to the home is far to strong causing the problems, that being said the engineer did say the signal was quite strong but wouldn't cause any issues.
Power levels etc on the modem and now at the cab are within spec.

famous last words.
The mgcamd softcam in downloads is a known working softcam - there's every chance you've got a duffer - even if it's a brand new one flashed today - people are flashing new boxes bought today with softcams that do not work
the VM eng said the strong signal is ok for VM equipment, he couldn't give a monkey's muff about unsupported equipment - check the levels (after you've tried the downloaded softcam) and post the snr/dbmv data here

Not supported on vuimages version of vix.
I did download the newest mgcamd, installed using Menu -> Setup -> Vix -> Install local extension
It installed correctly, but it has not shown up on the soft cam menu to enable it.

Back