How can I see if my VM line still works

adep78

Hi guys

1st post so go easy on me.
I'm upgrading my tired H2s for a mutant hd51.
I want to run a vm line (I know about what's happening at end of Jan)
I used to have VM and still have the wall socket behind the TV.
A while ago I got a 1m coax connected it to the wall and borrowed a TiVo box to test if there was a signal, low and behold I got all terrestrial playing.
I've had a new 2m cable delivered today and connected it to my LG TV with an RF adapter.
I've scanned for channels from the vm feed and nothings shown up.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal for the TV not to pick up a signal but was able to with the TiVo box.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

you need a cable box, if the mutant has a cable tuner then you'll get all the VM channels, the smart tv can't decode the channels even though you know thanks to the Tivo that the cable is live

What's happening at the end of January?
from the sound of things VM have said all customers who have HD channels need to upgrade to their new cardless boxes to continue to receive HD channels.
so it looks like cheap cable HD will end for us then because it will be the end of card sharing for HD channels, although SD will still be available.

You need a DVB-C tuner to pick up the cable channels, so basically a cable box.

TV's have DVB-T tuners so won't pick up the 5 basic SD channels.

What's happening at the end of January?

February

so it looks like cheap cable HD will end for us then because it will be the end of card sharing for HD channels, although SD will still be available.

Been waiting for this, so here it goes, I spoke to a VM engineer down the pub the other day, he is well in the know,
he told me that anyone who hasn't upgraded to the Superhub 3 by the end of Jan will have all their TV and internet services cut off, it's a free upgrade.

He said once that is in place they are rolling out cardless boxes to stop c/s for HD channels.

Also with the sky sports, bt sports merger, they will force VM to update the encryption of the SD channels if they want buy sports packages from Sky in order to stamp out c/s.

Sky already have encryption in place for SD channels and the BT channels on sat will also be moved over in the near future.

This should all be in place by April.

Look, it's that time of year, we always have a good c/s is coming to an end thread over Christmas,

The other year was the Footy is all going off on new years day, we just like to see if we can keep it going
till April these days.

I have simply combined all the latest rumours I have read into one post

There will be a few good ones in the coming weeks. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

firstly,
they are NOT engineers FFS
all they are is a bloke down the pub with half a day training on how to crimp an F connector, a H&S course, and a couple of company supplied tools.
and how would any cable monkey know wtf is happening.?

Look, it's that time of year, we always have a good c/s is coming to an end thread over Christmas,

The other year was the Footy is all going off on new years day, we just like to see if we can keep it going
till April these days.

I have simply combined all the latest rumours I have read into one post

There will be a few good ones in the coming weeks. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Click and bait lol

firstly,
they are NOT engineers FFS
all they are is a bloke down the pub with half a day training on how to crimp an F connector, a H&S course, and a couple of company supplied tools.
and how would any cable monkey know wtf is happening.?

You need a DVB-C tuner to pick up the cable channels, so basically a cable box.

TV's have DVB-T tuners so won't pick up the 5 basic SD channels.

February

Been waiting for this, so here it goes, I spoke to a VM engineer down the pub the other day, he is well in the know,
he told me that anyone who hasn't upgraded to the Superhub 3 by the end of Jan will have all their TV and internet services cut off, it's a free upgrade.

He said once that is in place they are rolling out cardless boxes to stop c/s for HD channels.

Also with the sky sports, bt sports merger, they will force VM to update the encryption of the SD channels if they want buy sports packages from Sky in order to stamp out c/s.

Sky already have encryption in place for SD channels and the BT channels on sat will also be moved over in the near future.

This should all be in place by April.

The most important bit here is this:
''they will force VM to update the encryption of the SD channels if they want buy sports packages from Sky in order to stamp out c/s.''

Virgin carry TV packages to almost 4 million customers, I don't think Sky can 'force' them to do anything, unless they want to lose 4 million subs

Back