How does VM line work exactly?

keilo

Hi guys,

funny story, Im running 2 boxes, edision and zgemma from my old cable and wireless box outside my house, everything works perfect. Until an hour ago, when my neighbour who was having virgin installed, the engineer couldnt get her line to work, it must be damaged underground. So he knocked on mine and asked if he could use my box to get a feed from for my neighbour, tempory for a couple of weeks, until the ground engineers can get to my neighbours. He asked if i used it (which i replied no) and so he took off the splitter that was feeding mine, and went straight to next doors.
Im sat waiting for him to leave so i can put my splitter back on to get my feed back.

But how does the VM actually work? I had every channel, but if my neighbour has only the basic package, how does virgin give their box just the basics? He has tapped into the 2nd virgin cable, which is their own phone line also. Will it effect my feed once ive tapped back into it?

You should have told him no - they tried that when installing at my mums house last year because they couldn't be arsed running a new cable so I just said to them to cancel it altogether... there was another 2 vans there within half an hour fitting a new cable.

With a genuine vm box, they send a signal down the line and it registers on the box - it's the box's unique mac address that gets activated... once activated, I believe you can then take that box to another property and use it there too.

Classic vm piggyback connection because they dont wanna pay for new underground cables etc happened to a neighbour and the engineer trod allover her flowers and damaged them so she put a claim in for damages and tried to file for trespassing but the judge said the equiptment belongs to them and they have the rights to maintain it lol

They are booked to come back a week on thursday my neighbour has just informed me. and im back up running again now :(y):

Back