How to get a Cable Line Activated?

There probably isn't an answer to this question I'm going to like, but I can only ask...and see where we go with it.

I moved into a new place that has VM Cable. However I didnt' really want any of VM's crappy packaged deals so I've not ordered anything. There are cables and stuff coming into the property, but I can't tell if any of them are active.

I've tried hooking one up to the DVB-C combo tuner on my Xtrend ET10k and sticking in the relevant settings, but a scan instantly returns with Zero channels found. I expect this means the coax coming in isn't live, disconnected somewhere, but it could just be that I've got the tuner settings wrong.

Is there a way to test if the feed coming in is live somehow, and secondly, is there any way you can surreptitiously reconnect it (perhaps outside the house or something) without being a VM engineer and going to a cabinet?

Basically, unless I order either CableTV or Cable Internet, am I screwed, or is there another way?

have you entered the correct net id on the box to scan? I would bet the feed coming in is live...

As i understand it you will need VM internet to make the feed live. you dont need to sign up for the tv package as far a i am aware.

So I was double checking the settings when I came across the rather useful Signal Finder feature in the OpenViX menu, probably normally intended to help people align their dishes, but on this occasion in came in damn useful.

At first it appeared to show I had zero signal coming in on the cable at all, so I'd mostly given up when I saw that occasionally a signal was detected, just on for a fraction of a second, relatively weakly, detected every 3-4 seconds, but good enough for a little box called "Lock" to light up...

This intrigued me so I tried changing a few things and thought to look at the cable itself...it was a bad link from the F-Plug to RF Coax adapter thing, not mating properly, basically just a loose connection, of all bloody things.

Got that sorted and whoosh, 550 channels found after a scan (and the standard SD BBC, ITV, C4 stuff clears with no softcam needed either)

So I was double checking the settings when I came across the rather useful Signal Finder feature in the OpenViX menu, probably normally intended to help people align their dishes, but on this occasion in came in damn useful.

At first it appeared to show I had zero signal coming in on the cable at all, so I'd mostly given up when I saw that occasionally a signal was detected, just on for a fraction of a second, relatively weakly, detected every 3-4 seconds, but good enough for a little box called "Lock" to light up...

This intrigued me so I tried changing a few things and thought to look at the cable itself...it was a bad link from the F-Plug to RF Coax adapter thing, not mating properly, basically just a loose connection, of all bloody things.

Got that sorted and whoosh, 550 channels found after a scan (and the standard SD BBC, ITV, C4 stuff clears with no softcam needed either)

I had a funny feeling that it would be live, I'm pretty sure they stay live when folk cancel their services

Its a long time since I've worked for cable but from what I recall the engineers leave feeds connected unless they have run out of taps & need to remove a dead supply to setup a new customer so often the feed is still connected at the box even though its not being used.

your correct only if they need extra ports they will disco if they keep doing it cut the tags off all the cable then they dont know whos whos

As i understand it you will need VM internet to make the feed live. you dont need to sign up for the tv package as far a i am aware.

I am looking at moving to VM. Is it true that I only need to get internet then and don't need to get the basic TV package?

I am moving into a new property soon and just thinking of my options. Oh that's great then. I'll just get internet and buy a cable line seperately

unless you've been inside the property and seen the socket box is one way or even outside you may see the brown box on the wall. no guarantee it's live.

Out of interests does a vm internet connection carry the tv signal too? As I have no way of testing just buy a box and hope. Xtrend 8500 or vu se v2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi djkross yes it does carry the signal, I too am considering the Xtrend ET8500 or the Vu+ box for a friend. The ET8500 represents great value at the current price.

tv signal same as internet signal same wire plus most times live if cables there will only cut off if need more space if dead go to cab screw yourself back on normally tag with address on it screw back on and 75% of them unlocked

Back