Inconsistent 4K Quality

neenja

I've a Sony xg9505 which is brilliant for 4k hdr, but I find the image quality of 4k feeds on iptv to be inconsistent. For example, sky sports uhd is always darker than the full HD versions, whereas tnt (bt) or astro have been quite a bit brighter.

I'm not sure whether it's the feed itself, the app I'm using (tivimate) or android TV. I've tried using a firestick too with no success. Others have told me they don't have the same issue as they put their TV in sports mode which mine doesn't have.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

I've a Sony xg9505 which is brilliant for 4k hdr, but I find the image quality of 4k feeds on iptv to be inconsistent. For example, sky sports uhd is always darker than the full HD versions, whereas tnt (bt) or astro have been quite a bit brighter.

I'm not sure whether it's the feed itself, the app I'm using (tivimate) or android TV. I've tried using a firestick too with no success. Others have told me they don't have the same issue as they put their TV in sports mode which mine doesn't have.

I'm not sure what to make of this.
You won't get a better 4k feed than BT/TNT 4k HDR feed ...especially if your 4k tv does HDR. The rest Sky UHD etc are all none HDR feeds and though some compression on IPTV affects it ...you need to change picture mode...eg on my Samsung BT HDR I change to Standard/dynamic otherwise its dark..and for Sky UHD or others am on Natural ..

You won't get a better 4k feed than BT/TNT 4k HDR feed ...especially if your 4k tv does HDR. The rest Sky UHD etc are all none HDR feeds and though some compression on IPTV affects it ...you need to change picture mode...eg on my Samsung BT HDR I change to Standard/dynamic otherwise its dark..and for Sky UHD or others am on Natural ..
The picture mode is on custom by default as recommended by rtings, otherwise it goes to game mode when playing consoles.

I'm not sure if the TV has a dynamic mode, but I personally hate using it. Completely distorts colours.

It's odd given that I don't have this problem with streaming movies and series.

The picture mode is on custom by default as recommended by rtings, otherwise it goes to game mode when playing consoles.

I'm not sure if the TV has a dynamic mode, but I personally hate using it. Completely distorts colours.

It's odd given that I don't have this problem with streaming movies and series.
I wouldn't go by rtings for all your viewing...each device or streams sometimes requires slight adjustments to get best picture...not sure what TV u have but mine the change of picture works wonders....no distorting of colours ..picture stands out with right mode.

Sky main and f1 are just upscaled bt uhd, hk sports,premire sports are 4k etc. So becareful what you fall for.

50fps now is pretty much main stream now on sky sports and bt sports.

You can also Normally get BBC for events in 4k.

There are a couple of genuine 4k European and premire sports aswell. But genuine sk UK no

Sky main and f1 are just upscaled bt uhd, hk sports,premire sports are 4k etc. So becareful what you fall for.

50fps now is pretty much main stream now on sky sports and bt sports.

You can also Normally get BBC for events in 4k.

There are a couple of genuine 4k European and premire sports aswell. But genuine sk UK no
So Sky are genuinely charging their customers more for upscaled content?

I thought 50fps is only through the online streams and not sat feeds?

try these settings ... worked for me uhd and hd should view fine on standard

standard settings

max brightness
contrast 90
gamma 1
black level 65
black adjust low
contrasr enhancer off
colour temp expert 1
live colour low
sharpness 0
film mode low
everything else auto

There are a couple of suppliers claim they are 4k I can probably name your supplier obviously I won't publicly.

The providers of the said sky 4k streams advertise them as upscaled there are only a couple.

Sky don't use upscaled content never said they did. The trouble is sky main and f1 pretty much run 24 hours a day it would be very expensive just to run those 2 channels

There are a couple of suppliers claim they are 4k I can probably name your supplier obviously I won't publicly.

The providers of the said sky 4k streams advertise them as upscaled there are only a couple.
I mean the streams I have show the uhd logos too, so is there still a possibility that they're upscaled?

I mean the streams I have show the uhd logos too, so is there still a possibility that they're upscaled?
Yes I am watching cricket on one now has the logo. A stream source or server owner can add any logo they want.

As @bazcfc1 has said in the past the best pic quality is probably hevc streams because they use less server resources and more of the processor on the device.

My sly Sports news is 50fps
Main event/cricket are 25fps

Can you change this manually?

Cricket is awful to watch at 25fps. Might be worth looking for a provider who has better streams, even if it's just a short sub to see you through the ashes.

Back