Information Required

mark_htfc

Hi everyone,

I thought I would make a new thread, rather than posting in the stickied threads at the top, as my question covers a few of those, so I was wondering if somebody would be able to answer a few questions that I have before I decide to commit to anything.

I first found out about Satellite receivers and gifts a short while a go from my mate, so this is an all new ball game for me, and I thought for the price he pays it seemed really good. He directed me to the person he uses, and I was quoted £34 a year for a gift and my mate doesn't have any issues with his service. The person mentioned that I would need a satellite port in the room that the box would be used in (which is fine, because I can get a engineer to sort that out).

So on to my questions,

Firstly, which box would you recommend? My mate has a Zgemma S2 box, and I have looked into those boxes, but before I committed to buying anything, I would like some advice on various boxes first (I know this depends on what I am after, this will follow in my other question),

After getting my box, in regards to 'lines', what do these lines mean etc? I have had a browse around the forum and have read Nline, Cline etc, but I have no idea what any of these represent (satellite/cable etc), would somebody be able to break this down for me please? I can't currently get virgin (I think that's cable) in my house, so I assume I wouldn't be able to get that, but I am mainly looking at satellite anyway. Ideally I would it to work through Wifi, but if I need to use wall plugs to help the signal then that is a route I can go down. If you need any more info in regards to what would help you recommend a box, just give us a shout.

When reading peoples threads, I have been reading a quite a few threads from people, and one thing that seems to be replied with a lot is something called cccam, what is this? and is this something that is needed for this to all work?

My final question is, say for example I decide to get one, I'm not daft enough to know that something is 100% fool proof, but what is the likelyhood that Sky could see that I am using something like this through their satellite dish? and if they did, where would I stand in being able to hide that I was doing so?

I probably have a few more questions that will no doubt crop up, but as a start, that is all I can think off.

Thanks in advance, and if some of the information can not be discussed openly in the forum, feel free to PM me.

all depends in how much you want to spend on boxes be it a single tuner or twin tuner to allow recording and viewing together = twin cables needed like on sky + hd box.
a line is like a credit card numbers and letters that is given to you via server provider=other wise known as a gift/paid service.

cccam is one type of softcam used on boxes to help open servers line info to work

card sharing has been going on for 20+ years lol and still trying to stop it:p

nothing to do with sky having your own dish but its the internet that leaves a trail,but we still use it lol

hard wired lan connections are better than wifi or as you said home plugs.

clines are used for cccam
nlines are used for mgcamd.

server can offer either clines or nlines so you need to know what he gives you and correct cam to open/work on box.

this good guide may be of help.

http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/65283-guide-how-set-up-e2-combo-box-vix-image.html

Last edited:
Cheers catikid,

That clears up a few things for me, it sounds like a twin tuner is the sort of box I'd be after then, would this box also give me the ability to run cable/satellite together as well? As for pricing, I'm ideally not wanting to spend a fortune on one, probably no more than £100 but more towards £80 I think, which brands are the best on the market? I don't need the best out there but I also don't want the cheapest or basic either.

So I am guessing that all the separate line names are in theory the exact same thing, and that the different name is only referenced when knowing which line you need for your box? Or have a miss understood that? I was under the assumption they all represented different platforms, I.e cable, satellite.

cccam is just a price of software then that you use to run lines, I wasn't sure if that was an additional cost on top or not.

A hard wired lan setup would be a bit tricky for me, as my box would be positioned away from an available port for the modem, so with that in mind, would I be better in not getting myself set up?

I will have a read of that guide.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back