is there really any difference between zgemma and Vu Solo2

danlou

hi All

Can someone explain to me if there is any really justification in purchasing a , say, Vu 2 Solo as compared to similar Zgemma which is considerably less cost?
I currently own a zgemma star S and happy with it. Irrespective of the tuner count is there any other benefit that I would get upgrading?

As they take similar images will there be any difference in picture quality? Also, as now we have majority of channels in SD is there reason to spend the extra money.
Functionality will be the same presumably?

I suppose those with both boxes will be best qualified to answer but I'm curious as to what the benefit would be.

Thanks,

Dan

Really good question.

I've splashed out on the Vu Solo2 and am really happy with it but anyone thats seen my setup has baulked at the price I paid.

I wonder is it really worth the extra cash over the zgemma?

There are a few differences, the VU is officially supported by Vix
so if you are running that image,

updates can be done over the net direct to the box, very convenient.

This can't be done on a Zgemma for the Vix image.

Then there is build quality, in general the more expensive boxes are built with better components, such as better boards and tuners, have quicker processors,
have the option to swap tuners between cable and sat or have extra slots to add tuners, they can also take internal HDD's.

I tend to go for slightly cheaper models than the VU range such as the LX2 or Miraclebox, these have reasonably good specs, are officially supported by Vix

So I pay a bit extra for good support and a 2 yr warranty.

From what I have read Zgemma where also behind the Cloud Ibox which is no longer supported, so you may find
the same thing happens and the Zgemma gets replaced by another model.

But who knows. :whistling:

For most people it's a case of budget which makes the choice of box for them.

I would say, generally you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I

I have read a bit about the Zgemma and there are other forums that say it's a clone rather than an official box - whatever that means.

Is the reason the zgemma can't be updated over the air a technical or political reason?
Also what I have read from the zgemma 'camp' is that they are committed to supporting the boxes and will be releasing further receivers very soon.

I purely went for the zgemma to get back into satellite scene have previously owned an AZbox and Spiderbox 2007 - look what happened to them...

Lets put it this way. there are more posts on this forum with people having problems with there Zgemma boxes and openboxes, than VU boxes, Miracleboxes and LX2. I agree with Bee you only get what you pay for. You buy a problem box, them expect it to be a problem, plus who do you send the box back too if it breaks down. I know where to send mine.

Is the reason the zgemma can't be updated over the air a technical or political reason?

Vix has a list of sat boxes it supports officially. If you are on the list then your box comes with a warranty and they are established and have a good track record for support.

Zgemma have taken their image and modified it to run on their box. Obviously Vix aren't impressed.

From what I have read they said they will never support a box made by the manufacturer of the Zgemma which is Air Digital.

This means when Vix updates their image you have the facility to download it direct to the box. But Zgemma users could well brick their box
by doing this as they need a modded version.

The Zgemma is an E2 type box so they can all run different "images" which are fully supported such as the openATV image.

This gives Zgemma the online update facility.

Finally, and this is only my opinion, why buy a box which has this support issue already built in ?

I don't think they would sell half as many boxes if it didn't run Vix.

OK you could change image, you don't have to run Vix but I think people with E2 type boxes generally see the Vix image as the best out there.

So something will have to give at some point.

Look at the Openbox - Skybox - Libertview - Back to Openbox, saga people putting wrong versions of firmware on boxes, bricks everywhere.

They have already binned off Cloud Ibox, are we going to see something similar ? Who knows ?

But that it why I pay the extra.

Last edited:
Lets put it this way. there are more posts on this forum with people having problems with there Zgemma boxes and openboxes, than VU boxes, Miracleboxes and LX2. I agree with Bee you only get what you pay for. You buy a problem box, them expect it to be a problem, plus who do you send the box back too if it breaks down. I know where to send mine.

Where would you send yours if you flashed over the original image and then find it didn't work?
More importantly which supplier would replace or reimburse you if you flashed the box (overwrote the original image) and it didn't work?

With the zgemma boxes from what I understand the OpenATV team do support it, the Openvix team don't?

Let me ask another question to anyone who owns both a zgemma and Vu solo2:
With the same image on both boxes, is there a difference in picture quality?

---------- Post Merged at 05:07 PM ----------

Vix has a list of sat boxes it supports officially. If you are on the list then your box comes with a warranty and they are established and have a good track record for support.

Zgemma have taken their image and modified it to run on their box. Obviously Vix aren't impressed.

From what I have read they said they will never support a box made by the manufacturer of the Zgemma which is Air Digital.

This means when Vix updates their image you have the facility to download it direct to the box. But Zgemma users could well brick their box
by doing this as they need a modded version.

The Zgemma is an E2 type box so they can all run different "images" which are fully supported such as the openATV image.

This gives Zgemma the online update facility.

Finally, and this is only my opinion, why buy a box which has this support issue already built in ?

I don't think they would sell half as many boxes if it didn't run Vix.

OK you could change image, you don't have to run Vix but I think people with E2 type boxes generally see the Vix image as the best out there.

So something will have to give at some point.

Look at the Openbox - Skybox - Libertview - Back to Openbox, saga people putting wrong versions of firmware on boxes, bricks everywhere.

They have already binned off Cloud Ibox, are we going to see something similar ? Who knows ?

But that it why I pay the extra.

I published my post whilst you was typing yours..
Having read the above why do OpenATV team support the box then? Are they not part of the Alliance group which Openvix team are part of?

The only issue I'm aware of with zgemma boxes are that some USB sticks are not compatible with it.

I have 2 vu solo'2, an ET10000, ibox3 and a Zgemma H2, the solo2's are by far my favourite box, but I will get told I'm wrong as to what I like, I have to add some delay on the audio time on my TV to get the sound in sync with the zgemma, the other boxes don't need it, also the pic quality on SD channels seems a little grainer and football seems fuzzier if that makes sense on the zgemma sat side.

I am not getting involved whats the best as the best for you is usually dependant on what you want to pay and are happy with.

As for sending it back, I thought I bricked my first solo2 as made a noob mistake and my supplier tried to sort it out over the phone, I sent it back and got it back working spot on again, as for the Cloud Ibox series I have many here with failed hardware that are not worth sending back and get no support from the manufacturer. I like the 2 year warranty with the officially supported boxes, buts thats me and others will disagree but the LX2 is not really that much more expensive for peace of mind, as you will tinker.

If the image i flashed didn't work, I would re-flash it with another working image which i would create before starting. If the box had a hardware fault as it as a 2 yr warranty I would send it back to WOS where i purchased it from. Where would you send a Zgemma back to, your guess is as good as mine. If like the Skybox trying to return one of then was great fun as the ebay seller just ignores your message request for return and most zgemma boxes or sold on ebay. Happy days.

Lots of E2 boxes have problems with some types of USB stick.

I don't know the reason for not supporting the box, you know as much as I do now.

I guess it's probably a mix of a lot of things in my two posts but you would have to go and ask them.

One thing is for sure, a member of Vix came on here and posted that they will not support Air Digital boxes

Did they make the openbox and skybox ? lol

Back