Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days

Due to the extensive damage in Japan caused by the massive earthquake and resultant tsunami on March 11, many have questioned if the island nation can recover in a year, much less a few months. If the swiftness with which the Japanese can repair roads is any indication, we wouldn't bet against the country cleaning up this catastrophe in short order.

As a result of the quake, a 150-meter section of the Great Kanto Highway in Naka was absolutely obliterated, with massive chasms running right through the middle of the road. Work crews at the NEXCO road repair company sprang into action on March 17, working at a fevered pitch to help get their country on the road to recovery, literally. Amazingly, after only six days of labour, the road is silky smooth and ready for travel. Look at the the before and after photos below to see just how amazing this feat is.

Given the fact that road crews in the U.S. can spend three or more months repairing a single lane of concrete, only to leave the orange barrels on the road for another two weeks, I'm blown away by this feat of engineering. Simply amazing.

43294616.jpg

72159376.jpg

WOW that is some going!!!, you got to hand it to them.

Unlike the road repairs round here where you have a six man team repairing gas or water pipes with 1 man working (usually the lacky) 1 man doing a risk assessment for insurance purposes and 4 looking down the hole with a cup of tea in hands.

see it in the paper today shows our feckless kids wot to do. nice to see them starting to rebuid.

Unlike the road repairs round here where you have a six man team repairing gas or water pipes with 1 man working (usually the lacky) 1 man doing a risk assessment for insurance purposes and 4 looking down the hole with a cup of tea in hands.

Like Dublin City Council aka wedigholes.ie

5 blokes looking into a hole which takes a month to fill & fix :eyebrow:

Last edited:
amazing job they have done, makes most road workers in the UK look like unqualified waste of spacers lol

I"m not convinced.. there seems to be a few discrepancies in the photos... jm2¢

If it's actually true, then a great feat for sure. (y)

wow amazing - does seem rather quick!
H is that all it takes is 5-6 men there! IM sure we havea lot more round here that get out of the truck - dunno where they go tho,never see them - oh yes i think i remember ive seen them in the cafe having a builders breekie!! Holes here get filled up 1 day and then for the next 6 weeks they are digging them up again - same roads. Im sure they must loose their fags or summit down the hole and have to dig it back up to find em.
Maybe we should get these Japs over here to teach the people that build our roads or dig em up!

(mmmmmmmmmmmm i see a new thread about to start :) )

It really is amazing to see the pride and care the Japanese take in getting their country up and running again.

I remember driving to work about 3 years ago, was stopped at the lights and to my right was a crew of 7 city workers standing there chatting and drinking coffee and one poor bugger down in the ditch digging, I shouted out the car window "it's nice to see one of you earning my tax dollars", their response was not very polite LOL!!!!!

Back