Knock at the door

Hi all

I have a colleague who purchased, I believe, a VU+Solo 2 Twin Tuner box and configured it with OpenVix. It worked well and all was good....... that was of course until today when he got a phone call from his wife to say that a man from Virgin Media had been to the door and informed them that they had an issue with something at his address that was causing issues for approx 600 Virgin customers in the area (not sure I believe this bit) and asked to see the cables. Unfortunately, she let him in and he looked at the box and said "I don't know what that is but I'm going to have to unplug it" then proceeded to disconnect the box. He didn't take it away and said nothing more.

Has anyone else experienced this? He's only been using the box for a week or 2 maximum.

aye could be running a bad cfg file if using a nline.
it ddos ones box.

was box sat or cable as cable would show coaxial feeds:grimacing:

Box was Cable.

Just been informed that I have the wrong Box in the above post so this thread may need to be moved.

The box in question is Xtrend ET7500 HD

Last edited by a moderator:
so no sat in use which would mean a cable in use,did he look behind box i wonder to see where it went or just unplugged unit?

im not sure but will find out, I'm off shift now but will find out on Monday when I'm back at work

Thanks for the help provided so far

Does the op use a Signal booster? The box itself wouldn't cause an issue when connected to the virmin network as it doesn't have any talkback facility. If the op is using a booster with the tv and bb then it's possible that the booster being bi-directional could be sending noise back onto the network, which could cause issues with other people nearby connected to the same street cab. The virmin engineer sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about, and doesn't seem to know how the Network functions. Theres no way a box connected at a given address could cause problems for roughly 600 customers. The problem is more likely to be at the local node, if that many people are affected.

Last edited:
Does the op use a Signal booster? The box itself wouldn't cause an issue when connected to the virmin network as it doesn't have any talkback facility. If the op is using a booster with the tv and bb then it's possible that the booster being bi-directional could be sending noise back onto the network, which could cause issues with other people nearby connected to the same street cab. The virmin engineer sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about, and doesn't seem to know how the Network functions. Theres no way a box connected at a given address could cause problems for roughly 600 customers. The problem is more likely to be at the local node, if that many people are affected.

I thought the same but they managed to trace it back to his address.

I have spoken to him this morning and he can't remember which line he configured it with (mgcamd etc).

I thought the same but they managed to trace it back to his address.

I have spoken to him this morning and he can't remember which line he configured it with (mgcamd etc).
Did the person use a signal booster? I'd be interested to know how they managed to trace it back to his address if he didn't use a booster or a hdu. I don't think the line is the problem, unless they had been monitoring his internet traffic. You sure that no-one may of tipped them off. maybe a jealous neighbour?

Sorry to awaken this thread, however, I have been offered this box for £30 and was wondering if it was worth it, I know that compared to the new price it is a bargain but my worry is whether or not the above situation could have been caused by a faulty box, if so then it's a wasted £30, or do you think it is worth the gamble?

I'd say its well worth it.
I had a bad .cfg file on my box and every so often it would flood my internet, so that may have been the same issue as your friend,
A new .cfg file and my box has been fine since.

Back