Lennon backing skipper Brown

noelyf

VIP Member
78.jpg
Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has refused to wade into a war of words with Rangers' El-Hadji Diouf but is more than happy for captain Scott Brown to continue hitting his Old Firm rival with verbal barbs.

Diouf yesterday accused Brown of trying to get him sent off during Sunday's 2-2 Scottish Cup fifth-round draw.

Diouf's comments continued today when he claimed Lennon goaded him in the tunnel at Ibrox.

Brown today hit back and Lennon is happy for his captain to do the talking.

Lennon said: 'I look forward to seeing what he has to say tomorrow - he seems to have a daily column in the paper now.

'He seemed to have a lot to say for himself after the game but I'll leave the taunts out of it. I'll leave Scott to sort that out because he seems to be coping with it very well.

'He can say what he likes about me - I'm not going to get into a war of words with him. I never made any specific plans for him either. I had enough to concentrate on with my own team.'

Lennon believes Brown, on duty with Scotland this week, has responded well to Diouf's comments.

The Celtic boss added: 'This guy's made things public and Scott's just defended himself. There's a lot that went on on the pitch and it wasn't just one-way traffic.

'I think Scott's handled the situation absolutely brilliantly and with a bit of humour.'

Brown has described the yellow card he received for celebrating in Diouf's face when he netted Celtic's second equaliser on Sunday as the 'best booking I've had in my life'.

Lennon, who today was named Clydesdale Bank Premier League manager of the month for January following an unbeaten run of four wins and a draw, saw no reason for his captain to be cautioned.

Back