Light at the end of the tunnel????

teedof

Hi, just joined tonight cos zgemma star 2s was driving me mental er. However as a bit of encouragement to the other noobs like me I have to report that it seems to be working. I had loads of probs trying to get it to work at first and suspected a tuner fault as it got various numbers of channels from 0 to 420, on 28deg, when my other boxes (official Sky HD, openbox V8 and my Samsung tele with sat connection) had no probs at all. I upgraded to a zone 2 dish and all the probs went away (I'm near Liverpool and a zone 1 dish should be fine). Either mines "special" or they have weak tuners. The next prob was getting it to accept an n line.. I've spent days. I tried the recommended settings on here to no avail. I tried all images, Italysat, openatv, opendroid and am now using openvix Hades. I read somewhere that it doesn't like TSpanel and I tend to agree. I have now got my n line to work after uninstalling tspanel and all softcam plugins, then reinstalling only mgcamd 1.35. I just hope it keeps working. I hope this post gives encouragement to those poor demented souls like me who have struggled and are struggling with what I think of as the rubiks cube of receivers.

If you don't have a linux or enigma 2 background setting up the box does take plenty of reading and learning for a noob - this is why Sucmnsee and I post configured backup images here to save you the work and lots on here provide fellow members with support based on experience.

I've never heard of the tuners in these receivers being weak - is there any chance something had grown/been built that was obstructing the line of sight of your dish or that it had been blown/knocked out of alignment or that your cables from the lnb to the box were old and perished? A zone 2 dish will do no harm though - you could even set up a second LNB on the dish if you want to receive more channels (y) (My zgemma shows a stronger signal than my original Sly provided STB BTW.)

Don't get me wrong the'yre not the best receivers in the world but bang for buck they can't be beaten at the moment and are streets ahead of openbox/skybox/ibox models, for starters if you've set up your image properly you'll never have to manually re-tune or set up channel lists again and then just look at the EPG and compare with Openbox!

BTW I hope your Vix image was patched for the zgemma at source and don't do online updates with Vix....

Now you've been through the pain and had your rant hopefully you'll be able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour for some time to come... :peace:

Thanks for the encouragement. As for signal strength, like i said, I've had three different boxes working well on the same setup. On my current setup I have two dishes. One pointed at Hotbird 13 and and one pointed at Astra 28 The image I'm using is a patched Vix and is working OK.
One little prob at the moment is I can't read the movies I've saved as the text is all scrunched up. I know the setting is in there somewhere; just haven't found it yet! I can't remember where I got the image from as I've tried so many, but it is a properly patched one. Sometimes I was getting so confused with trying so many things, to try and get it working that it was simpler to re flash it and start fresh. Its so easy to re flash and gives a simple "clean" start. Thanks for all the assistance so far.

Rather than signal strength it was probably just an incompatible lnb. Happens with ibox/zgemma. But now shes a going for ye! Lol
Change number of rows when u go to files list/menu/settings. U using bluehd skin?

Dont worry hes the resident naysayer ;)

---------- Post Merged at 07:50 PM ----------

Hes running modded unofficial vix its OK! :)

Last edited:
Resident Naysayers welcome. It is a post to which I aspire. However I feel Mr sucmnsee may be right. It could well have been the lnb. It was OLD. Thanks are due to sucmnsee because I MAY be using a version of one of his images. I have tried SO many. Although it is working now I may be forced to fix it some more till its broke again. I'll take a backup of it as it is and then I can get it back if and when I screw it up again. When I was surfing many sites looking for assistance, I noticed many people seemed to be having probs downloading the standard autobouquet; as did I. Since the new dish and lnb I have no trouble with auto bouquets and it seems solid and predictable, so maybe others are at the fringe of what works and what doesn't. Oh! and I'm on blue HD as suspected. Thanks for all comments.

Back