Looking for a cable receiver

Ali_Pea

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a cable box, possibly Kryptview, but was wondering what other options there are out there. Preferably I'd like HD with recording capacity. I know the 850 does that but they're as rare as rocking horse sh!t... Anything pointers before I take the plunge would be appreciated.
Thanks - AP

Thanks cactikid, for the reply.. I wanted to take the thread away from the sticky.... ok so scanning through the thread... people are mentioning "subs" are those to a 3rd party or just the standard sub's to VM & the like ? The amiko has taken my fancy !

Hi All,

I've been reading some more on this and I think I'm beginning to see the light ! However still (as always) have some more questions....

Cline / nline.
What are they ... I've read a long post here....
http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59066-questions-relating-cable-boxes.html
which did help a lot....

I've been advised that the cost of these lines is about 80 GBP per year. Just out of interest, has this changed much over the years... can you expect an increase ? Also I've heard of free clines... do these exist... are they worth the bother - do they come with other strings attached. I don't understand why someone would pay for a line if you can get the same thing for free so I don't believe that they are the same !

I'm still in flux with regard to the box to get... do I go for KV (I have one on loan but not working yet as it needs to be flashed, it's also the 780, but 850 that I'd prefer 'cause the HD & recording facilities, also the 850 difficult to get hold of) or Zgemma... which has subs ???

Comments please.
AP

Hi All,

I still need some help .... well lots actually but that's a different matter....

So I have a loan of KV 780, this is obviously only Standard Deff, and no recording facilities, but (if I buy) a one off cost ... what I'd like however is Hi Deff with recording... something like the 850 or as has been suggested the Zgamma H2, but that has subs...

Having read a this thread..... http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59066-questions-relating-cable-boxes-2.html

I've gained some more knowledge... which is always a good thing.. but it's lead to more questions.....

Cline / Nlines..
Reading it seems as if these go for somewhere between FREE or 50 - 100 GBP... is that correct ?
So free ones.... what's the difference between that and a paid for version... why would someone go for a paid version when you can get the same thing for free... I'm guessing that they are not the same, but what's the catch ?
Also, ok so they are 50-100 pounds a year now... what were they a few years ago... have they gone up... are they likely to go up again... (I know the second part is impossible to answer, but it's got to be a consideration).

I'm really torn what to do ... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
AP

1. true, anywhere between 0 and 100 per year
2. free ones, rarer than the A850, and rarer still is a good quality stable free one. What happens is that someone publishes the line online, and any number of people who see it can put it on their machine (the more on it, the less stable it is). Usually the free ones(in my experience) are one day servers, so you ave to change your line everyday.
3. 50-100 now, inflation has been good on these things, they haven't really gone up by that much, the thing for you to do is get as many trials as possible, and find the best value line for you - measured on the reliability per price, not just the cheapest.
4. are they likely to go up - if they do, history would lead us to believe that they will go up a small bit, if it is too expensive for you, at that stage you can shop around again.

5. Hope that helps you somewhat.

if you want to watch and record then a twin tuner is needed,if you have a sat dish then a combo box sat and cable as you can use sat for freesat and cable for hd channels with a sub.

Even more confused now. I need to do some more research. But I don't have a sly feed so that's probably not an option. Can you link the original vm box as well? This way wouldn't you be able to watch one and record on the other?

yes you can have vm box on hdmi1 and other box on hdmi2 both having their own feeds,only swap over is by tv hdmi port

Hi all, I've been given a Kryptview box :-) so no need to purchase (at the moment) thanks for all the help tho I've learnt a lot and will still be an active member of this great forum.

Yeah, you certainly will be back when you get fed up of the glitching on your KV box !!! lol

I'm not going just winding down my enquiries. Is the KV a bit buggy then? I only watched some of the cricket, and sometimes you can't even tell if that's frozen or not☺

Moved from KV a few years back because it got so glitchey.

They where the best out in their day, without a doubt, but the boxes where sold
with the subs included in the price.

If they don't sell the boxes how can they carry the server costs year after year ?

Things have moved on a bit since then, everyone now expects to buy a box and
pay separately for a server.

If the server is no good you can always move and just put a new line in your box.

Even Ted Luxston has jumped ship !!! ROFL

Last edited:
Back