Looking for advice for first time setup

Good evening one and all.

New member here having only today started to investigate the possibility of an HD sat receiver providing full HD sky content (without the premium), have an existing satellite (28.2 degrees) set up so pretty much good to go.

Was looking to spontaneously purchase a skybox F5 S only to do further reading and think otherwise. So my question is; what is the best option?

As a total novice I am open to suggestions and best ideas for starting from scratch; this will be my main TV. No real budget but not looking to spend much more than £100 to £150 on a box. Then what are the best services to get the content and at what prices and how often should I buy 'gifts' (is that the right term) for?

PMs welcome as it looks as though some links are kept off the forum.

Thanks,

John Rambo

Many thanks for the response.

Work have kindly blocked this site so limited to phone for daily use.

Do you have a link to the guide?

Thanks all. Tutorial looks fantastic, not sure where I'd start without that!

I think the octagon is at a price I want to pay. Anyone know the best place to buy it, I assume it comes with VIX installed?

Also the inevitable question of best place to then get a cccam service, advice welcome on that front.

Thanks.

Thanks all. Tutorial looks fantastic, not sure where I'd start without that!

I think the octagon is at a price I want to pay. Anyone know the best place to buy it, I assume it comes with VIX installed?

Also the inevitable question of best place to then get a cccam service, advice welcome on that front.

Thanks.

It is a great box for a single tuner box, World of satellite is where you will buy it(sign up for a £5 discount), lastly, on the line front, first set up the box and we'll point you in the direction of that service.

Rambo, i know you were very keen on getting full hd. So if you're not already aware, there's been some apparent developments the past few days where some hd channels have been removed. Someone more technical than myself should he able to explain but bear thay in mind.

Rambo, i know you were very keen on getting full hd. So if you're not already aware, there's been some apparent developments the past few days where some hd channels have been removed. Someone more technical than myself should he able to explain but bear thay in mind.

Thanks for pointing this out Rudd. I saw that last night after I bought the box! Maybe it's me jinxing it. Well it's coming now so will just have to see what happens. SD still isn't the end of the world I suppose just typical it potentially ends as soon as I get it.

Thanks for pointing this out Rudd. I saw that last night after I bought the box! Maybe it's me jinxing it. Well it's coming now so will just have to see what happens. SD still isn't the end of the world I suppose just typical it potentially ends as soon as I get it.

I know the feeling mate having just got mines as well. Sure its the risk you take lol. Cant complain anyway with the SD content.

There may be further developments yet anyway.

evening and night work dressed in white uniform,ahh well someone has to do it [ hiteck will keep you busy been a night owl also ]

Hey all, hope you all had a good easter. Been reading this thread with great interest as I'm much in the same boat as John_rambo. I had my eye on the OpenBox X5, and then someone pointed me in the direction of the F5S and now indeed thinking about the Vu or octagon SF8. What sort of factors should I consider? I was just looking to view channels in full HD and maybe record them onto my spare external HD (presumably this saves on price as opposed to getting abox with a built in HD?) I only have the major UK digital satellite supplier and am not looking to get a motorised dish or anything. Any advice on the state of play with these HD channels chaging their frequency (?) would be much appreciated! Should this affect my decision of which box to buy?

Thanks again!

Narmak

yes some channels are changing frequency but others have changed encryption on the hd channels=non viewable when it happens.
the octagon could still do more without hd channels lol

Back