mesh or solid dish

steptoe

VIP Member
I'm looking to set up a new 65cm dish to get 19e and 28e
is there any performance gain to be made by using a solid dish?

are you sure it's mesh and not perforated?

perforated are easier on the eye then solid and both perform the same (perforated are rated easier on mounting arm when it comes to bad weather)

Some people say there's a better rain margin on solid ones but some people say this is a myth and the 'mesh' ones are purely for aesthetics because it is more transparant.

A solid dish would be more suitable for 19.2 East

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Why is that?
Is it a slight gain in performance, or the way the signal is transmitted or something.
I'm going to order this stuff at the beginning of the week so want to try and get the most suitable I can.
I was going to get a mesh dish as I was thinking about and loading, but if solid is better then I'll go that way.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be back needing help to set it up too, :cool:

A solid dish would be more suitable for 19.2 East

how so? there is no evidence to back that up it comes down to size that will matter and i have noticed solid larger dishes tend to cost less then other alternatives.

Just go for whatever the largest you can get for your budget I would myself go for 80 they are cheap plus will do what you require no problem

how so? there is no evidence to back that up it comes down to size that will matter and i have noticed solid larger dishes tend to cost less then other alternatives.

Just go for whatever the largest you can get for your budget I would myself go for 80 they are cheap plus will do what you require no problem
I was going to go for an 80 , the only problem I have is its fairly prominent where it is, right above my patio doors, saying that, the good lady might never notice, ;)
And there is no point putting a smaller dish up if it won't perform well enough, its only 10£ difference in price, and at £105 so far for a 65cm dish and the other bits, its not a massive budget breaker.

80cm dish would give you better options If you ever decided to change to motorised set up or another fixed satellite

I can't go motorised, that's why I'm going multi lnb, I use a multiswitch. So have no direct connection to my box.

I was going to go for an 80 , the only problem I have is its fairly prominent where it is, right above my patio doors, saying that, the good lady might never notice, ;)
And there is no point putting a smaller dish up if it won't perform well enough, its only 10£ difference in price, and at £105 so far for a 65cm dish and the other bits, its not a massive budget breaker.
If you are getting a good signal at 28E with a 40cm dish then the 65cm one will do, just position the dish between the 2 satellites, there's very little difference between a mesh & a solid dish, having a good high gain lnb is more important, see this one the website you were looking at,
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...l/LNB/Technomate-LNB/Technomate-TM-1-gold-LNB
They are selling these very cheap, (£7.49 on ebay), i bought the Twin lnb version a few months ago and it increased my signal about 5 - 10%
I found this Pic. on another forum so you should be alright. although I wouldn't recommend this setup.

sky dish.jpg

If you are getting a good signal at 28E with a 40cm dish then the 65cm one will do, just position the dish between the 2 satellites, there's very little difference between a mesh & a solid dish, having a good high gain lnb is more important, see this one the website you were looking at,
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...l/LNB/Technomate-LNB/Technomate-TM-1-gold-LNB
They are selling these very cheap, (£7.49 on ebay), i bought the Twin lnb version a few months ago and it increased my signal about 5 - 10%
I found this Pic. on another forum so you should be alright. although I wouldn't recommend this setup.

View attachment 23065
wow,
thats pretty busy,
this is what I have been looking at so far
1 of these
with upgrade to dual output 0.1db LNB
one of these
and one of these
I currently have a quattro running to a multiswitch,

Looks good enough, as i said a high gain lnb might help but you probably won't need it.
well, I've just had a look, a 0.1db quattro LNB is only £21 so I might get one anyway, I'm fairly sure the one I have is some cheapo generic one I got on ebay for a tenner a couple of years ago.
the revised shopping list is coming in at £85, so its actually less than I originally counted, seems I cant add up these days, :confused:

well, I've just had a look, a 0.1db quattro LNB is only £21 so I might get one anyway, I'm fairly sure the one I have is some cheapo generic one I got on ebay for a tenner a couple of years ago.
the revised shopping list is coming in at £85, so its actually less than I originally counted, seems I cant add up these days, :confused:
You need separate lnbs for each satellite, either 2 single lnbs or 2 twin lnbs.

Last edited:
You need a separate lnb for each satalite, either 2 single lnbs or a 2 twin lnbs.
Ye, I'll set up the quattro for my multiswitch at 28e as I have a couple of freesat boxes/TVs already, and connect my E2 box and F5 to both satellites using the diseqc switch with only the 28e going to the multiswitch.
So, if I'm right, I need one quattro LNB for 28e and one dual LNB for 19e, ?
And fit the diseqc switch after the multiswitch to feed 19e into the cable going to the E2 and F5 , that's how I'm seeing it anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for all your help mike142 , and everyone else.

Ye, I'll set up the quattro for my multiswitch at 28e as I have a couple of freesat boxes/TVs already, and connect my E2 box and F5 to both satellites using the diseqc switch with only the 28e going to the multiswitch.
So, if I'm right, I need one quattro LNB for 28e and one dual LNB for 19e, ?
And fit the diseqc switch after the multiswitch to feed 19e into the cable going to the E2 and F5 , that's how I'm seeing it anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for all your help mike142 , and everyone else.

Ah, I need 2 diseqc switches, one for each box,!!!
Yes you would need 2, the rest looks okay as long as the diseqc works through the multiswitch, could be better having 2 cables going straight to the quad lnb, you might need extra F connectors as well, Good Luck.

Yes you would need 2, the rest looks okay as long as the diseqc works through the multiswitch, could be better having 2 cables going straight to the quad lnb, you might need extra F connectors as well, Good Luck.
Its not a quad LNB, its a quattro, has VH vl hh hl out, I'm going to try the diseqc on the output side of the multiswitch,
I don't know just how it will work, and no amount of google has answered if it will.
I've got dozens of F connectors, and good quality coax and shotgun, I'm a spark and we usually run cables in at first fix for the TV guys, but even talking to a couple of them they are interested to know if a diseqc will work with a multiswitch as they don't know either, o_O

which multiswitch do you have?

I wouldn't bother with 65 just go 80 you wont regret it also check some ebay sellers some will do bundles to save you some £

Back