Millions tricked by 'scareware'

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Online criminals are making millions of pounds by convincing computer users to download fake anti-virus software, internet security experts claim.

46570621006336905130589.jpg

The scam is difficult for police and other agencies to target

Symantec says more than 40 million people have fallen victim to the "scareware" scam in the past 12 months.

The download is usually harmful and criminals can sometimes use it to get the victim's credit card details.

The firm has identified 250 versions of scareware, and criminals are thought to earn more than £750,000 each a year.

Franchised out

Scareware sellers use pop-up adverts deliberately designed to look legitimate, for example, using the same typefaces as Microsoft and other well-known software providers.

They appear, often when the user is switching between websites, and falsely warn that a computer's security has been compromised.

If the user then clicks on the message they are directed towards another site where they can download the fake anti-virus software they supposedly need to clean up their computer - for a fee of up to £60.

Con Mallon, from Symantec, told the BBC the apparent fix could have a double impact on victims.

"Obviously, you're losing your own hard-earned cash up front, but at the back end of that, if you're transacting with these guys online you're offering them credit card details, debit card details and other personal information," he said.

"That's obviously very valuable because these cyber criminals can try to raid those accounts themselves or they can then pass them on or sell them to others who ultimately will try to use that information to their benefit not yours."

The findings were revealed in a report written following Symantec analysis of data collected from July 2008 to June 2009. Symantec said 43 million people fell for such scams during that period.

It has become so popular that the rogue software has been franchised out.

45506819fakepcmagreview.jpg

Fake reviews help build the credibility of bogus anti-virus software.

Mr Mallon said some scareware took the scam a step further.

"[They] could hold your computer to ransom where they will stop your computer working or lock up some of your personal information, your photographs or some of your Word documents.

"They will extort money from you at that point. They will ask you to pay some additional money and they will then release your machine back to you."

The scam is hard for police or other agencies to investigate because the individual sums of money involved are very small.

Therefore, experts say users must protect themselves with common sense and legitimate security software.

'Steal your identity'

Tony Neate, from Get Safe Online, told the BBC the threats presented by the internet had changed in recent years.

"Where we used to say protect your PC... we've now got to look at ourselves, making sure we're protected against the con men who are out there," he said.

"They want you to help them infect your machine. When they've infected your machine it's possibly no longer your machine - you've got no control over it.

"Then what they're looking to do is take away your identity, steal bits of your identity, or even get some financial information from you."

He added: "They used to be 16-year-olds in their bedrooms causing damage with viruses. Now those 16-year-olds have grown up [and] they're looking for money, they're looking for information."

-

a lot of peeps do just click in because the X is a false button and they cant close it so they click into it and we all know what happens then

I just recently dealt with scareware here at work. One of my guys got it on his pc. It's amazing how many people are duped by this garbage.

I just recently dealt with scareware here at work. One of my guys got it on his pc. It's amazing how many people are duped by this garbage.
Have to agree mate, have fixed quite a few comps with this problem in the last few months..
Ah,well it keeps the Euros rolling in ...

i dont know how people fall for this, i think common sense fails at the mention of a virus with some people

This particular one has been found in rapidshare files....movies....music..etc

Best way to get rid of it completly is to

Switch OFF System Restore.

Restart your computer in Safe Mode

Then do a scan....I used Superantispyware Free Addition.
Code:
ttp://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

When the Spyware is removed......restart computer normally....turn ON system restore.

Which particular one 7th?

What method did you use to remove it?

-

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

This particular one has been found in rapidshare files....movies....music..etc

Best way to get rid of it completly is to

Switch OFF System Restore.

Restart your computer in Safe Mode

Then do a scan....I used Superantispyware Free Addition.
Code:
ttp://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

When the Spyware is removed......restart computer normally....turn ON system restore.

Thanks for posting your solution Rocky (y)

-

It was Anitivirus System Pro.

Malwarebytes was successful in removing it.

Still wonder what he was doing to get it? :eyebrow:

Gman496 said:
Thanks for posting your solution Rocky (y)-

Cheers G....see our old Replay Lite thread getting a few hits on AD...

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't it great to see a problem solved so quickly, 3 different cures..excellent.

@rocky its just a pity our replay thread is dead since we cant use it in ireland. god i miss it.

It was Anitivirus System Pro.

Malwarebytes was successful in removing it.

Still wonder what he was doing to get it? :eyebrow:

I got the 2010 virus watching Family Guy online....it came in through the Internet Cache files.

Even if you try to remove in the ADD/REMOVE Programmes it will keep on coming back :bang head:

I got rid of it using the method I posted earlier :happy:

I've had to clean up a few friends computers using SuperAntiSpyware. One didn't have any antivirus on his comp, or even an up to date firewall. Another, McAfee didn't detect it (she had their antispyware package) and another didn't update his antivirus files. Took me a few hours of work on theirs....especially since they hadn't deleted anything off of their computers. Had to also install ccleaner to clean up alot of junk and also installed smart defrag to defrag their systems.

Back