mobile phone insurance

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
My son dropped IP4. Back is completly smashed as its all glass.

Rang our insurance this morning (its free with bank, but same ins company that network use) they gotta send me a claims form, we fill out and send back. THEN they decide IF the claim is viable - claim covers accidental damage. THEN they tell us where and when we can send handset to plus we need to send them £25. THEN they repair and if they cant repair send us a recon handset or similar. All this can take 2-3 weeks.

So i asked what do we do in the meantime without a handset, their attitude is we need to go to a shop and buy a new cheap handset to use in the interim.
Dunno about you guys but do not know that there are any other handset that take the micro sim AND silly cow didnt mention that it also has to be on same network for our sim to work in a different handset.!
so from now until its sorted which could be 2-3 weeks my son has no phone. She did tell me IF its still under warrenty then to take it to place we bought it and they will repair, but if we do that we cant claim on insurance.

AARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

So anyone got a spare IP4 on 3 network i can borrow............................................................................................ NO??? didnt think so

bad news that Linny. my IP3GS was playing up didnt come up with the scans he did at the apple store. Was under applecare warranty, so i just made sure i got a new handset from him, brand new out the box, (refurbished) and its working fine now.

Your insurers sound like proper tits! attitude stinks, they should provide you with one, and to see if the claim is viable is pathetic, it was accidental damage, repair or replace it instead of taking the pi55 out your customers!

yh might have to take a trip to the local apple store see what they have to say. Its around 14 months old under a 2 yr contract with 3, so will also go to see them as they are closer. Apple store is either London or 1 of shopping centres - around same distance away as london :(. I can understand they want proof! but why cant they just send a replacement out i can send them a photo of the damage. They can do a swap - like they did last time he broke a phone many yrs ago. O2 just asked you to send phone back the same day then sent you a replacement. SIMPLES!!!!!

im paying for a phone the x used to have (blackberry curve) virgin will not let me claim as i no longer have the phone even i no it no longer works as i snapped it in half. Oh i also binned it.

im paying for a phone the x used to have (blackberry curve) virgin will not let me claim as i no longer have the phone even i no it no longer works as i snapped it in half. Oh i also binned it.

dont give Linny any ideas LOL

Make a visit to local apple store and see what they say to you Linny.

Went on the Genius bar and made an appt for friday morning. Been told by others they can look at it and it may only cost £25 to repair, also been told it may cost nowt lol! so wait n see what apple say. Even if its £25 its still quicker than going via insurance. I bet i dont even get the claims for before friday!

Dee why are you paying for a contract for a phone you no longer have. Id just cancel the contract. How long have you had the contract? what do you mean they wont let you claim as they know you dont have the phone?? ( confused lol)

I'm also on a 2 year contract with Virgin Mobile. It is only £10 a month but I somewhat regret it still. EVERYDAY at some point i'm losing reception, the reception is absolutely p*ss poor. They give me 1GB data bandwidth which is totally feckin useless when the reception to the network is shit and even when its ok, the internet is still extremely slow. Oh yeah, restarting the BB is a big pain in the backside too, takes a whole minute just to reboot. I've already thrown it around a couple of times in anger.

I hope Apple can sort it out for you Linny, hopefully you are still under warranty, if you are, then you have nothing to worry about. ;)

wil update friday once we know! with 3 we pay £30 pm for 1gb which we never go over ( either that or its unlimited) 5000 texts and calls or something. But hardly ever use phone for calls its mainly texts and internet.Got no problem with my network - thankfully! As for vm lol they keep trying to sell me a mobile contract - but dont need 1 lol!

Linny put the iPhone serial number on the apple website will tell you if it is under applecare warranty

yh when i get a chance lol my son is never at home these days long enough. Anyways it was bought from a 3 store so not sure what warranty it would come with. Its over a yr old was bought about July last yr just after they came out so if its a 1 yr guarantee its finished. Plus as its accidental damage and not a fault with the handset it may not be covered. We didnt take out applecare for it as we have phone insurance.

Last edited:
banks insrance is not worth the crap you go trough, i have m8 that have had nothing but trouble with them. at lest 02 insurance is quick and no problems.

Have to say Linny, if it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck at all LOL

only kidding (as usual), but insurance companies don't really want to pay out on your expensive policies, all they want are your expensive premiums. But that said, don't let the beggers get away with it, if the phone is insured, it is insured. keep at them, go up the chain of command, never stop with the goon on the floor. check with your insurance ombudsman/regulator, get the name of some legislation, then go back in and spout about being missold insurance, cancelling other policies, moving mortgages, etc, if you create enough stink in the high street, thye normally give you what you want, just to shut you up and get you out, but the thing is to visit them, you are too easily fobbed off by phone.

Lastly, you need a loan of a Iphone, surely the childs mother would lend him hers LOL :Peep:

Someone is looking for a good spanking next time i see them LOL!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxx Anyway its not the child that uses the damn think but his girlfriend so she can go on fb lol!!!!

@Eme its not actually the bank as such as seems lots mobile phones are insured with the same company now whether it be via my bank or a phone shop. Its the company lifestyle that are the ones it seems that make the demands. But i will certainly give that info to Apple when we visit them friday :)

Back