Modern WD Player equivalent

Borzio

Hi, I had a WD Player ( not Live Player) a few years back which allowed me to play films on the tv from an sd card, or usb. I've several films downloaded from TPB in MP4 but can't get past the 4gb restriction on FAT32, as each film is 6 gb+.
Is there a simple MP4 Splitter that would allow the films to be 2x 3gb, and therefore useable on a usb/sd card?

Or, I've looked at the cheap Chinese Android media Players on Ebay with quite high specs as an alternative, but are any of them any good?

I don't want to spend a lot of cash on a media player, as most of my film watching is on a firestick from a supplier.

Any recommendations? thanks all.

Hi, I had a WD Player ( not Live Player) a few years back which allowed me to play films on the tv from an sd card, or usb. I've several films downloaded from TPB in MP4 but can't get past the 4gb restriction on FAT32, as each film is 6 gb+.
Is there a simple MP4 Splitter that would allow the films to be 2x 3gb, and therefore useable on a usb/sd card?

Or, I've looked at the cheap Chinese Android media Players on Ebay with quite high specs as an alternative, but are any of them any good?

I don't want to spend a lot of cash on a media player, as most of my film watching is on a firestick from a supplier.

Any recommendations? thanks all.
there is plenty of free windows software available that can split mp4 video files

there is plenty of free windows software available that can split mp4 video files
Thanks Urie, any simple one you could recommend? I've tried 1/2 a dozen that were "free" but half of them were free only in the download being free, and the others just wouldn't handle a 6gb file being dropped into the program

Thanks Urie, any simple one you could recommend? I've tried 1/2 a dozen that were "free" but half of them were free only in the download being free, and the others just wouldn't handle a 6gb file being dropped into the program
Try MKVToolNix it will load you MP4 and split into whatever sizes you want but they will be MKV files if needed you can convert them back to MP4 files with
mkv to mp4 0.224 also youtube video on how to split mp4

Edit I have uploaded video you can just save as

Attachments

• Cut Or Split Videos In MKVtoolnix 2020 .mp4
    14.6 MB
Last edited:
Try MKVToolNix it will load you MP4 and split into whatever sizes you want but they will be MKV files if needed you can convert them back to MP4 files with
mkv to mp4 0.224 also youtube video on how how to split mp4

Edit I have uploaded video you can just save as
Brilliant urie, I'll give it a try....and happy New Year to you and yours, cheers.
Update; excellent video you sent as well, that's appreciated, cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, urie's solution was easy to download from his links, easily understood How To vid, and doing the job was a piece of cake. (even for me!), cheers

Thanks for the help guys, urie's solution was easy to download from his links, easily understood How To vid, and doing the job was a piece of cake. (even for me!), cheers
I meant to say in MKVtoolNix where you split the output files there is also a box you can select to link the files that means you load the first one out of the split files you have and when you play the video it is like playing full one without having to play one after another. But I did notice it can be a bit slower if you try and jump back and forth when playing movie. You could try it see how you get one I always output files to different folder safer that way.

I meant to say in MKVtoolNix where you split the output files there is also a box you can select to link the files that means you load the first one out of the split files you have and when you play the video it is like playing full one without having to play one after another. But I did notice it can be a bit slower if you try and jump back and forth when playing movie. You could try it see how you get one I always output files to different folder safer that way.
Thanks urie, I saw the 'Linked' box but left it clear as I wasn't sure what the linking would do, I'll try it with the next vid file.
The other good thing about MKVToolNix was that I had kept the original German audio with English subs (the video had been voiced over by a horrendous US set of actors). When split, the 2 videos both kept my German/english intact and played perfectly.

Thanks urie, I saw the 'Linked' box but left it clear as I wasn't sure what the linking would do, I'll try it with the next vid file.
The other good thing about MKVToolNix was that I had kept the original German audio with English subs (the video had been voiced over by a horrendous US set of actors). When split, the 2 videos both kept my German/english intact and played perfectly.
If you happen to need to extract tracks e.t.c from MKV files this is quite good mkvcleaver there are download links at top left hand of page.

Surely there must be a way to mount/share the drive/folder over the network and play the files using VLC etc without having to split the files.

Surely there must be a way to mount/share the drive/folder over the network and play the files using VLC etc without having to split the files.
the original post was because I was looking for an external player to play the video, the problem being with the usb using FAT32, by default a 6gb file wouldn't be saved on it. Casting would be possible but would require me to cast on the same network from the loft to the lounge which is a bit much for me. It's just future proofing my mobility issues to have a player alongside the tv.

could you not reformat the usb drive to exFat which would allow big files? (greater that 4gb)

and you could plug into a OTG cable on the firestick?

Playing from a shared location means you don't need to reduce file size, you don't need to transfer, you don't need to cast either. However, the host has to be online. This can be a PC, NAS, Enigma2 receiver, pi setup as a file server

This is one guide, ignore the fact it refers to apk files, it applies to any file type
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWJiKoTQ0I

Reading between the lines, the issue seems to be that they are on different networks. But you have setup two networks, so surely should be fine for you.

could you not reformat the usb drive to exFat which would allow big files? (greater that 4gb)

and you could plug into a OTG cable on the firestick?
Hi mrafc, I thought of that but didn't think exFAT could work on a Usb, only FAT32? I'm happy to be wrong as I'm no expert in this. Funnily enough, I started by buying an OTG before reading about the FAT32 issue, that then made it a 2 file necessity for 6gb.

Playing from a shared location means you don't need to reduce file size, you don't need to transfer, you don't need to cast either. However, the host has to be online. This can be a PC, NAS, Enigma2 receiver, pi setup as a file server

This is one guide, ignore the fact it refers to apk files, it applies to any file type
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWJiKoTQ0I

Reading between the lines, the issue seems to be that they are on different networks. But you have setup two networks, so surely should be fine for you.
Thanks Abu, as with the reply to mrafc re the FAT 32 issue, I'm not an expert on this, but believe that my pc and tv are on the same network when they are wireless, they're wired to the router usually. Hope that's right
I'll have a look at youtube link tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

Back