Motor and dish mount

Ginoworm

hey i got the dishpointer app and am stuck on what angle to set the dish on the motor?

I have the motor elevation but not sure what the dish should be set at?

Im in southend in the UK

I'm trying to remember but sure it's like your long number and then the motor elevation is the difference from 90". Dish should be more vertical. If its pointing in the air it's wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_212824.jpg
    IMG_20230620_212824.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
The dish setting will be in the motor manual elevation and declination angle table it will have a table with settings for whatever your location latitude is.

here is a tip go to dishpointer.com, put in your exact location, then on right select motorised, then click on arrow and seelct moteck then click search , scroll down and the black area will show you motor elevation and dish elevation. ignore the other bits. set it all up nice and striaght especially the three dots in video.

LocationReference Satellite
London and South East England0.8°W  Thor or 0.8°W  Intelsat 10-02West Country and Wales5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West ALiverpool and North West5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West A or 0.8°W  Thor or 0.8°W  Intelsat 10-02Midlands and North West England0.8°W  Thor or 0.8°W  Intelsat 10-02Scotland5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West A or 0.8°W  Thor or 0.8°W  Intelsat 10-02Outer Hebrides5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West A or 8.0°W  Eutelsat 8 WestSouth West Ireland12.5°W  Eutelsat 12 West BCentral Ireland8.0°W  Eutelsat 8 West Belfast and Dublin
5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West ALe Harve North West France0.8°W  Thor 6 or 0.8°W  Intelsat 10-02Paris & Central France4.8°E  Astra 4A or 0.8°W  Thor West France5.0°W  Eutelsat 5 West ALyon, Marseilles and East France7.0°E  Eutelsat 7Belgium and Netherlands4.8°E  Astra 4A or 7.0°E  Eutelsat 7BSouth East Italy
13.0°E  Hot Bird 13

Evening all, long story short, was on here a while back regarding bent motor mount bracket as I lost all signals after bad weather and extreme winds. So in short, bough new motor & Lnb, set up mount pole plumb. Mounted motor on pole pointing @180 south and tightened bolts. Mounted dish square on motor arm which is @51. Dish elevation @23. Sent dish to 0.8w, had a little tweaking but no joy. Sent dish to 28.2, which picked up signal ok, sent to 13,19.2,23.5 but no joy. I don’t normally throw in the towel, but I feel the neighbors are thinking im stalking them as im at it every time the weather allows me. Anyone on this forum living in the Cork area that could diagnose this issue and possibly set it up for me??

Regards
Suttsy

Evening all, long story short, was on here a while back regarding bent motor mount bracket as I lost all signals after bad weather and extreme winds. So in short, bough new motor & Lnb, set up mount pole plumb. Mounted motor on pole pointing @180 south and tightened bolts. Mounted dish square on motor arm which is @51. Dish elevation @23. Sent dish to 0.8w, had a little tweaking but no joy. Sent dish to 28.2, which picked up signal ok, sent to 13,19.2,23.5 but no joy. I don’t normally throw in the towel, but I feel the neighbors are thinking im stalking them as im at it every time the weather allows me. Anyone on this forum living in the Cork area that could diagnose this issue and possibly set it up for me??

Regards
Suttsy
Usuals motor ?

If so make sure your coordinates are correct.

Send the dish to 28 east

Unclamp the motor slightly from the pole then swing the whole lot left to right to max signal. Clamp it back up evenly making sure the signal stays maxed.

Now loosen the dish elevation bolts and max the signal out by moving the dish up and down. Then clamp it.

Send the dish to other positions to see if they now come in.

I think you missed a bit. When you set up motor and dish you dont tighten up motor, leave it loose. Have motor at ZERO and dish pointing due south, ie 12 noon is due south with sun, then on box select a channel on 0.8West and for this exercise select aljazera its 12418V, 28000 fec 7/8. Then move the whole rig until you get a signal. I'm in clare and get 95% with a 1.1m dish but, its a black ultra lnb, good sat cable and a VU+DUO2 with Vix. Then for the Horizontal use a channel called GALAXY 4 12130H 28000 7/8. I get 100% on this one.

You dont say size of dish or receiver or make of lnb. The above are very powerful so even if with signal finder you will pick them up. Once you get one, Al jeezera is best its english, get the other athen tweak, dont forget to tune lnb move in and out.

You can go to 28east but that is so strong a signal even if dish or rig is out you will get a high reading and when moving rig it may slip down pole.

Regards
Suttsy
Thanks to Ferret & Bmitie for your reply's, and i appreciate your input.
I was a little vague on the intial post as I was typing on my phone.
My set up as follows:
95cm Technomate Dish, 2300 Technomate motor, Quad Ultra Black Lnb, Viark 4K or Vu Solo2.

The 1st time I set this up I must have got lucky.....
I will attempt to get this sorted in the next few days.

Regards
Suttsy

You will probably have to do a fair bit of tweaking to get it to track the arc correctly from your location as your nearest true south satellite would be 8w which you probably won’t catch from your location so peaking on 0.8w won’t be the top of the arc which will lead to adjustments to compensate as you send the dish east/west.

PS The sun will be at its highest point later than 12pm at this time of the year (if your lucky enough to see it) :ROFLMAO:
London Sunset Sunrise times UK (dusk, dawn, civil, nautical & astronomical twilight)

Lol my dish is still pointing down feeling sorry for itself, as no footy on i not got round to aligning, should really get my ass in gear :)

The smart compass app for android Excellent for finding true south 180° Will give you the latitude and longitude and weather conditions

If you don't have satellite meter you could use sat finder app or sat finder pro app
This is also calculation site

s://satlex.de/en/azel_calc.html

With a usuals motor with the correct coordinates in your receiver you dont have to worry about true south, it is already factored in when say moving the dish to 0.8w.

Just send the dish to 0.8w and the motor and receiver will deal with the difference between south and true south.

Use the solo2 to setup, I have more than one box and those 2 on the solo 2 with an Openatv image 6.4 are showing 99% signal so you should get 90% with the 95cm. Make sure the lnb is dead straight and in correct alignment but there must be a mark from old lnb to show where it should be in holder. Here is a pic of mine note quite a bit sticks out at front and almost flush with holder. Go slow and rememeber the three dots see video above.

NB those channels are DVB-S. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.PNG
    IMG_3610.PNG
    745.5 KB · Views: 12

Regards
Suttsy
Update.....
I havent been reported or arrested :laughing:
Managed to get dish aligned and somewhat close to the true Arc, picking up 28.2,23.5,19.2,16.0 & 13.0
I'm happy with this ATM as I'm getting the footy on 16.0. (y)
Thanks to all for advise and feedback, much appreciated..
Hopefully it will stay solid in the coming winter months, fingers crossed. 🤞

Regards
Suttsy

Back