Mould/Mildew/Damp help needed

bruce_wayne

Hi guys.

I am currently experiencing a damp issue (no underwear changes required ;) )

i have been renting my current property for nearly 6 months and due to some rather @$$holish neighbours we will be moving at our next opportunity...but as this time approaches we have noticed our bathroom and windowsills becoming swamped with damp and the windows heavily condensating.

i have bought cheap and expensive sprays to try cleana nd eliminate this crappy black mould 1) even with water, the mould leaves a removed paint stain behind and 2) it comes back despite the sprays promising prevention of further damp recurring.

anybody got any tips on this? i dread when our housing agency inspects this joint to determine how much deposit we get back and i dont want them taking loads of money to eliminate the mould issue...when in extremis i could just repaint much cheaper, over mould to mask it briefly.

Any help and feedback is much appreciated :)

I assume it's single glazed, hot bathroom, steam from bath or shower, cold outside, so condensation.

Just paint it up before you leave, unless you want to go to the expense
of putting a doulble glazed unit and extractor in.

if you have a window to open may help in reducing condensation,is it a shower enclosure as for some you can buy a showertop to keep all steam and water inside which helps condensation.

when you find a good scrubber to clean first then you could try this.

HTML:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomebaseStaticPageSecondLevel?storeId=10151&includeName=HBCreateTheLook/dulux_bathroom_paint.html

I assume it's single glazed, hot bathroom, steam from bath or shower, cold outside, so condensation.

Just paint it up before you leave, unless you want to go to the expense
of putting a doulble glazed unit and extractor in.

spot on!!

thanks guys. will give the dulux a go too, seems expensive to mask and prevent it in short run but a worthy investment for the new gaff, although hoping shouldnt be half the issue as i believe new place will be double glazed *fingers crossed*

COLUMBUS - i found bleach to be good to begin with but seems to soften paint too much :/

Painting is really just a stop gap for your problem. The best way to stop mould is as was stated open a window whilst using the shower and leave it open for about 15 minutes after you finish. Also run the shower after you finish with cold water for about 2 minutes to help clear the steaming up of the bathroom. Hope this helps. Good luck.

paint it, and to avoid in future vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle. just a few sprays after you shower will keep it at bay

we used the costly mold paint on ceiling where shower was ( we have a fan next to it ) and after 5 months was still showing damp

it was the felt on the flat room letting water in under a gap.

we now ( sounds crazy ) made some small glass bricks in wall with a slide part to let air in and works great

rice is also good to suck up water and paint and get out of there, i would of reported it to who you rent from as well as seems could be water in the gap of the bricks, leaking roof ect

Condensation will arrive at the coolest point hence the windows having mould. If you constructed a cold water filled radiator or similar in the room, the moisture would collect on this where it could be wiped and exited down the plug hole. As a example put a bottle of cold water in the shower room it will be dripping wet immediately.

Have you got good extraction in your bathroom? It be mostly condensation from showers etc that will then turn to mildew, is your bathroom located in your g/f or f/f extension as if nots properly insulated this will cause the condensation from the cold.

I have a small camper van with roof tent and we had major problems with mould/mildew, tried loads of so called treatments, but the one that has worked best for our rooftent has been 'Meguiars Convertible & Cabriolet Cleaner Soft Top Hood Mildew Stain Remover' it has kept it away so far and thats been about 15 months.

Lived in a 3 bed mobile home many years ago and condensation in the winter was a problem. Nowadays we have de-humidifiers that will help.

I guess as you're looking to leave the property soon you could just leave the window open 24/7 (not practical at all but works wonders). Once the temperatures go back up you can remove the mould and repaint, ready for the move.

Only real solution to condensation damp is ventilation! Everything else is just a cover up and it will always come back.

Back