Moving from SKY+HD Box

matt007

Hi guys. I have made the decision to move over to a linux based box because I can no longer put up with Sky constantly increasing their prices. Which box do you recommend me to buy? My family don't want to move because of the Sky EPG and general ease of use, so the following are my requirements and I would appreciate it if someone can recommend me a suitable box and where to get it from:

Box must:
- have a good EPG, as close to my Sky+ HD as possible
- ease of use for family
- have ability to record a channel whilst watching another
- have good HD picture quality
- built in wifi

I am not a beginner when it comes to tech and programming etc so don't mind a good box that is a bit of a challange to set up.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks :-)

twin Tuner boxes are starting around £170 mark upwards then you would need to add the price of a HDD. That will get you a FTA box. If you want subscripted channels then a Sub would have to be purchased on top. HD channels on subs are no longer available for the time being. But the picture quality on SD channels is far better on linux boxes that your original sky+HD box as the sky box blurs then so you pay for HD from then.

I have a lot of HDDs lying around so I will use one of those. Like I said I am flexible on the budget. Any specific box that fits my requirement? Also where can I get a reliable sub?

Budget is too low.

Closest you could get is a zgemma s2, external usb harddrive, wifi adapter this would hit your budget (this is exclusing a tv sub and you can't get hd channels anymore)

Why do you need wifi just run a cable it's not difficult

Personally I would just set a budget of £250 and build a htpc it will destroy any box you can buy.

Budget is too low.

Closest you could get is a zgemma s2, external usb harddrive, wifi adapter this would hit your budget (this is exclusing a tv sub and you can't get hd channels anymore)

Personally I would just set a budget of £250 and build a htpc it will destroy any box you can buy.

I have a HTPC (acer revo) how can I set it up to replace my sky box?

Assume I need some type of twin Usb tuner? So then screw in the leads from my sly feed?

Last edited:
What about the Vu+ Duo box? I've heard good things about this box but not sure if it has a good EPG not too different to one on the Sky+HD boxes

Vu+ duo, solo and Miraclebox Premier all run the same software and EPG is as good or not better than sky. The new Miracleox as 3 tuners so you can record 3 programs at the same time. easy to use once setup and running use a Vix image.

Budget is too low.

Assume I need some type of twin Usb tuner? So then screw in the leads from my sly feed?

What about the Vu+ Duo box? I've heard good things about this box but not sure if it has a good EPG not too different to one on the Sky+HD boxes

For the revo you really would need to use a pci/pcie card does your model support this?

VU+ boxes are so over priced it's cheaper to build the htpc then get a fully setup VU+ Duo2 or Solo2.

Budget is too low.

For the revo you really would need to use a pci/pcie card does your model support this?

VU+ boxes are so over priced it's cheaper to build the htpc then get a fully setup VU+ Duo2 or Solo2.

I doubt it. It doesn't even have room for a cd drive. Will double check the model number tomorrow and Google to check.

Technomate tm twin oe is available from technomate for £169.99can record up to 7 channels simultaneously depending on transponder. Running on various open enigma 2 software. Better than sky digibox

GiGaBlue HD 800 SE+ Plus Digital Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver Linux Enigma2 2xDVB-S/S2 £160
from world of sat.

Order it flashed with the VIX image.

There is a tutorial here

It will do what you want and they are a bit cheaper than the VU boxes but do the same thing.

Go for homeplugs rather than WiFi. (y)

Not many HD channels on the sat side now, you need to go to cable if you want HD.

Last edited:
How can I go down the cable route as I have never cable like Virgin before

---------- Post Merged at 10:43 PM ----------

Technomate tm twin oe is available from technomate for £169.99can record up to 7 channels simultaneously depending on transponder. Running on various open enigma 2 software. Better than sky digibox

How does this box compare with boxes such as the Vu+ Duo? Also can I install openVix and other images for example?

How does this box compare with boxes such as the Vu+ Duo? Also can I install openVix and other images for example?

You need an active line to receive cable tv so if you do not have that then you are going to need to sign up for VM to get one installed.

This box supports the same image types as the VU so you can install various different ones OpenVix is one of them.

Vu+ Duo is around the same spec but single core cpu rather then dual it's an old box the only VU+ boxes to look at really are Solo2 & Duo2 but do cost fair bit.

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 PM ----------

You need an active line to receive cable tv so if you do not have that then you are going to need to sign up for VM to get one installed.

This box supports the same image types as the VU so you can install various different ones OpenVix is one of them.

Vu+ Duo is around the same spec but single core cpu rather then dual it's an old box the only VU+ boxes to look at really are Solo2 & Duo2 but do cost fair bit.

How long do you guys reckon we have until Sky decide to change their encryption? The last thing I want to do is buy a box and a sub and it stops working after a few months.

Back