Multi room remote?

Bigrussuk

I'm splitting the hdmi and running one to the TV upstairs

I've seem the kits that piggyback on the hdmi cable, they look pretty nifty... But does anybody know of a Ir remote extender that can plug in to the back of the zgemma like the sky magic eye? Rather than having a transmitter that needs to be in front of the box?

Cheers

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you can always download a remote control app for your phone i use timote for my android phone, But you can get a remote app for apple phones as well

Have a look at the Zgemma I55 instead which will stream from your main Zgemma. The i55 is the same internals as the H.2S but without any internal tuners (no cable to sat dish needed)... so the enigma 2 firmware (Vix, OpenATV, PLi, OpenSpa, OpenDroid, HDFreaks currently available) and all the skins, plugins etc you're used to.

Try a cat6 HDMI extender, it delivers 1080p over cat6 and comes with ir support so u can change channel like a sky magic eye. About £40 for a kit plus u will need some cat6

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

@mtpockets: How would one integrate an I55 with an H.2S, say? Would it act just like the H.2S?

Problem solved! - I got the 'e2 remote' app for iphoneand iPad ....it's brilliant ...just put in the boxes IP address and you're away! Lots of cool functions too. £1.50 well spent for the full version

@mtpockets: How would one integrate an I55 with an H.2S, say?

On your i55 set it up as you have your H.2S ( ideally with OpenATV of course ;) ) Enable the fallback tuner on your i55 through MENU, Setup, Usage & GUI, Customise - now change enable fallback receiver to yes, go to the next line down and enter the Fallback remote receiver URL - this is the IP address of your H.2S. Now configure your bouquets to be identical on the I55 as they are on the H.2S (just use autobouqets maker with the same settings) and that should be you good to go.

Just keep in mind if your H.2S is being watched and recorded on then at the same time there'll be no free tuner to use for your i55....it may be worth having a iptv subscription too to cover this eventuality.

Would it act just like the H.2S?

Yes, the I55 can be setup so it looks identical and works in the same way as your H.2S...skins, menu's, screens etc can all be the same.

The i55 sounds a good idea ...but only if you can't run a line to the 2nd room....if you are going to get a 2nd box...you may as well have it run independently no ? ie run a new line straight from the LNB on the dish....I didn't need this as there is only me and my girlfriend in the house....and we haven't got to the stage of watching tv in different rooms ....yet [emoji6]

Last edited:
Absolutely! If you're happy to have additional cables run from your dish and you have unused ports on your LNB definitely worth having another two tuners....I just hate having cables running inside my house from room to room so remote eye / HDMI would be a no go for me....

Another cheap option is to use Kodi and stream to that from your Zgemma and plug your Kodi device into your TV but you have a different interface to contend with and more for the Mrs to become accustomed to....

Believe me the time will come when you're fed up with soaps! :whistling:

Last edited:
@mtpockets: that sounds really good. Two questions if you don't mind:

1. Would this work on a second H.2S instead of an I55? I.e. allow me to use the streaming from another box for now, but allow the addition of actual tuner feeds in future if I want them.
2. Is the output of the first box taken pre or post decoding? I.e. does the second box need it's own line as well as the first box, or does the first box decode for both?

Many thanks, this looks ideal for me.

1. Would this work on a second H.2S instead of an I55? I.e. allow me to use the streaming from another box for now, but allow the addition of actual tuner feeds in future if I want them.
Yes - as long as your primary receiver has two feeds from your dish - you need to disable the tuners on the second box.

2. Is the output of the first box taken pre or post decoding? I.e. does the second box need it's own line as well as the first box, or does the first box decode for both?

It's post decoding - you're using the tuner and cam from your master box. Main advantage over .m3u lists is that you get the full epg without any hassle (with .m3u's you'd have to convert to a bouquet and then painstakingly edit so that the channel id's were the same as the "real" transponder)

Where you put in your ipaddress of the fallback receiver make sure to put in the following format.....

http:\\192.168.1.xx:8001

It does work - I just tried it to make doubly sure!

What a cool feature :triumphant:

---------- Post Merged at 09:35 AM ----------

For anyone else considering this, I just noticed how much faster my zgemma 2s is when zapping using the fallback receiver mode instead of the real one...I'm guessing the speed improvements of the H.2S must therefore be partly down to the lock time of the tuners they're now using.

Last edited:
@mtpockets: Thanks for your detailed answers. It's an amazing feature and is exactly what I need...

I'm due to visit family shortly and they wanted a couple of boxes setting up but they only have the one dual feed from an old Sky install presently. I thought I was going to have to get a new LNB installed, run cables etc. (and mess up their house) but this will be absolutely perfect for them. No need to run anything new, just get a couple of powerline adapters to get the connectivity in the secondary location. My only decision now is going to be whether to get two H.2S units just in case they ever get the secondary LNB runs, or skimp on the price and just get an S2 (based on your edit) or I55 as per your original suggestion. For the sake of a few bob I will probably go for the two H.2S.

Last edited:
I'd go for the i55 over the zgemma-star 2S....but of course if finances permit go with the H.2S over the i55 if there's a possibility that extra cables will be run in future. The i55 has the same (faster) dual thread CPU as the H.2S

I've always bought direct from the manufacturer in china as I tend to get my stuff before it's on general sale in the UK....looking at the prices I'm not surprised they're not for sale over here! Unless you're willing to buy in bulk the price difference between it and the H.2S just doesn't make it worthwhile....

Yeah, I've just had a good look on AliExpress and it looks like it ships with a different remote. In the interest of making things easy for the users I'd probably end up having to get an extra H.2S style remote (which I assume would work) so both were the same in their general operation. By the time I do that the i55 only comes in about £15 cheaper. Although I actually also think that the i55 form factor is nicer for a second TV, it's not worth the small saving given how much extra functionality an H.2S leaves on the backburner for them.

Still, the fallback tuner thing is excellent and that's definitely the route I'm going to go. Thanks again.

Back