Multiple CCTV cameras over CAT5

john_smith21

TK Supporter
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of using cat5 to feed multiple CCTV cameras with power?

I've seen setups with up to 4 cameras on a single cat5, but this is video only, and the cameras are powered near their location.

You can buy individual adapters to connect the power and coax to the cat5, and each of these adapters have 2 terminals. I'm thinking could i use one cat5 and terminate as follows:

Pair 1 power camera 1
Pair 2 video camera 1
Pair 3 power camera 2
Pair 4 video camera 2

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
John

I have one of my CCTV cameras running off Cat 5 as its easier to put through the wall instead of a cable with BNC connector on the end, however I had to use 6 of the wires for the power and the other 2 for the video feed as 2 wires alone couldn't carry sufficient current to power it.

Only about 10Mtrs (30Ft) you may get away with using 4 wires but I think just 2 is ambitious. Do the cameras have the built in IR night lights as I think it was these that was drawing the extra current.

They do have the IR night lights, and they'll be about 15m away.

I read that the cameras will work within 10% of the stated voltages, and when I used a voltage drop calculator for cat5, it was within tolerances.

I'm running the cable at height, so I was trying to get away with doing as little as possible, but it sounds like I'll need 2, so I'd rather do that, than run one and find out it doesn't work.

Thanks for the input.

i have a swann nvr 7285 system with 4 1080 camera's
the recording unit has power over cat5 (poe)

the camera's i have are poe only so only 1 cat5 cable will power the camera and send signal to recorder (nvr) 1 cat 5 per camera thats it

myset upi had a play with a POE 4 port switch and home plugs and it works a treat and no drilling holes into the house and feeding cables to the NVR

NVR connected to TV this is then plugged into a switch behind TV for the network i have a home plug connected to my network downstairs for the kids zgemmas
now upto the loft

i have power in the loft i then connect an extra home plug i then connect a 4 port POE switch to the home plug as a test i plugged a camera into 1 of the poe ports and bingo as the home plug is connected to the poe switch this gives the signal and the poe switch gives the power to the camera
so i ran 4 cat5 cables from the poe switch to 4 camera 2 front 2 back tho the bottoms of the roof it was hard but with help from a mate we managed to do it
only 1 home plug was needed in the loft for 4 camera's

so all the plus to doing it this was
no holes in brick work
no cables running from camera tho house to nvr
no extra power outlets need to power the camera
very little cables running on brick work of house
cables tamper proof unless a ladder is used
only 1 cat 5 cables nto the back of the NVR as this put it on the network

only cons to this is
extra £50 cost for a 4 port poe switch
wring a double socket in loft (but its handy as hell so sort of a plus)
buying £20 woths of weatherproof cat5 (wasnt sure if the 1's provided would have been ok)

hope this helps (also there is a seller on ebay selling referb units with 2 cameras for £220 so well worth the money

only downsde to theses cameras they use IR light so spider love to crawl over them at night

Last edited:
Back