My lawn has gone very patchy.....

Jafo666

Hi everyone hoping someone can help, my back garden grass has gone very patchy and needs fixing.

Is it just a case of buying some seed and spreading over the patches and also going into the good grass to blend it? Lots of water? Im no good then it comes to gardens lol

Thanks

Patchy? how? just from the lack of rain lately?? If so it will probably come back on its own, but you can help it out by buying a patch kit (depending on size of patches you need covering.) lots of water and a feed (10/10/20) is one that I use at home, it is not a brand, that is the breakdown of the nutrients, a good garden centre should be able to help you out with this product (or similar)

Do you have a dog? If they wee on the grass that will cause grass to die off, so you have to water it well to dilute the wee or you'll never get new grass to grow.

A bottle of household ammonia in a bucket of water will help to give the lawn a boost , add the ammonia to the bucket of water rather than adding water to the ammonia should you decide to try.

You could use a patch kit if you are still looking for a solution, but it would work out cheaper (especially if they are big patches) getting 'canada grass seed' off amazon with a red pack with before and after pics on it. I burnt patches in my lawn last month with lawn sand, and was umming and arghing over seed or the patch kits. Got this seed, just threw it over the patches and left it. Watered in the morning and evening, and the lawn was green again within 7-10 days. I threw seed over the rest of the lawn as well, and now it looks so much better.

Sulphur of iron is good for killing off any moss in a lawn and it also acts as a feed to make the grass grow. however if you are down to the bare soil then you may need to resow the patches.

if you put some seed down make sure to cover it with some sort of netting or you will end up with things like birds picking at it.

Back