New Dish and LB Recommendation

skirmish

Currently using a Skybox F5S through an old dish and LNB that we inherited when we moved house. I've been struggling with receiving some channels, notably Discovery Turbo, and have been trying to set up the dish in case the alignment was wrong. I'm pretty sure it's positioned correctly but still the problem remains so I'm wondering about replacing the old dish and LNB with replacements.

We live in West Yorkshire so can someone please advise what size dish we could do with and if there are any that are better than others? I'd prefer to just buy off ebay if possible.

Any help appreciated.
Dave

Is it that u get audio but not picture?
If so just update fw.
Otherwise this is a known working lnb

Attachments

• 20140416_151843.jpg
    20140416_151843.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 20
No picture or audio. No matter what i do it just says picture strength 45% quality 10%. This is on various channels although the main Freesat channels are fine.

Sounds like a polarisation problem, if dish is aligned correctly..Seen it before on these boxs when connected to a communal sat system and some quad lnbs...It seems that they sometimes dont output enough volts to switch between hozirontal/vertical..And sometimes to much voltage..Go on fleabay and search skybox signal fix...From my memory its a small v/h switch...About £4 so worth trying..

Thanks for that reply. I've just looked on ebay and found one of the switches you refer to. There's also a very good explanation about the problem there too. Need to do a test on my Skybox which will tell me whether the problem is one of polarisation.
Interestingly I used to be able to receive all the channels but for some reason I now can't.

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 PM ----------

The easiest way to confirm that you have the Polarization selection issue is to go in to your box menu, then Installation, then LNB power setting and change this to 'Off'. If you can now view the channels previously displaying the 'No Signal' message (SSHD3) but not the other channels that were previously working fine (SSHD1) then this device will work for you!

Just done the above test and unfortunately it had no effect. Any more thoughts?

It may be that on the dish, if its communal, someone has started using a conflicting box its a vertical channel problem ok. But if its not communal and you havnt added any new boxs the dish may have moved. Either way you shouldnt need new dish. At most new lnb should do. But if it IS polarisation then the eBay fix is handier

Could u list channels not working
And does it say invalid or scrambled
And when was last channel update
And last fw update.

I'm afraid it would take me a long time to list the channels that aren't working. A selection though.

Gold
Gold +1
Turbo
Fox News
CNN
CBS
France News
Sky News SD
Challenge
Euronews
Discovery +1
Discovery History
Discovery Science
Nat Gegraphic
MTV SD
MTV Hits
Bloomberg

There are many more too.

It say's 'No Signal' and the last channel update was the previous one which I think was about 25th May.
Haven't done a firmware update since I bought the box in December.

If you go to menu.
Single satellite search and set to
(1/1) sky uk 28a
No
Tvchannel
No
Blind scan
And click search

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ----------

Or try ajsatdotcom regularly for updated aj channel list

An update.

I bought a new dish and quad LNB from ebay and have now finished installing it on the wall where the old one was.

So today I successfully positioned the dish using a small meter and confirmed the job was good by getting a good signal and picture on the BBC1 HD Channel.

The reason for getting a new dish/LNB was to try and recover the lost channels including the wife's favourite, Turbo. Unfortunately when it came to tuning into Turbo the same old problem was there with a very poor signal and a very broken up image which kept vanishing. The Strength was 45% and quality 10% but occasionally, and by itself, kept shooting up when a picture also appeared.

I just loaded the latest AJ list so that's fine. The lack of channels wasn't just confined to Turbo though as many more are also unavailable. Interestingly all the Sky Movies were present.

I really would appreciate it if someone can offer some advice as I am now very stuck as what to do next.

Dave

Back