Noob here, questions about the old folk's streaming box

Hi All, I have european parents, and they are using a streaming box , at the front is "zge ma H2H", and has Open ATV on it. When they switch it on, it automatically goes ono to one of the many european channels (last one they were watching) that is in the main "bouquet". It does occasionally freeze.

Im sorry to ask you these - perhaps this isn't the right forum for these noob questions.

Is this set up what is known as IPTV? From other posts, I see other words bandied around ( Android / Sat/ Cable ) - I sometimes wonder if Open ATV is a flavour android, or is an application on Android which automatically starts.

So, regarding the occasional freezing: is the box of a low quality(cpu / ram) n, or is their (talktalk) broadband not up to scratch - perhaps a bit of both? Or maybe open ATV is not the best?

They are looking for another one for the sitting room. If I wanted to get exactly the same environment( open atv) . I've been reading stuff about firestick - can this be set up just like this ZGE box, and be as good, if not better? They are quite old, so it can't be anything fancy.

Thanks guys. Sorry if there's too many questions.

The zgemma H2h can handle Cable, Satellite and IPTV, so it could be any of these, when you say European, which country are they in? Cable is only really available in the UK, but satellite is pretty much worldwide as is IPTV, as a general rule, if they're getting Sky Sports channels, they're not likely to be on Satellite

Openatv is an operating system on the box, like windows or linux on a computer.
Openatv (there are others) can be loaded onto lots of boxes but not firesticks or other Android devices, it's not required

The zgemma H2h can handle Cable, Satellite and IPTV, so it could be any of these, when you say European, which country are they in? Cable is only really available in the UK, but satellite is pretty much worldwide as is IPTV, as a general rule, if they're getting Sky Sports channels, they're not likely to be on Satellite

Openatv is an operating system on the box, like windows or linux on a computer.
Openatv (there are others) can be loaded onto lots of boxes but not firesticks or other Android devices, it's not required

They are in the UK, but they like to watch all the Portugal channels.
Ah so it is an operating system after all. interesting. So it cannt be installed on firesticks or android devices, you say. Why is this?

firesticks and other android devices just use apps to display iptv, you'll get the same channels if you go with the same supplier, some supply Portugese channels, some don't

It's an Enigma 2 linux box, generally most people will use ATV or Vix

Android boxes and Firesticks usually run off a version of Android plus Kodi

If you are after IPTV then I would go with an Android box, Something with 3 - 4 Gb RAM
The processor will be much quicker than the Zgemma.

Freezing could be from your provider or it could be your internet speed.

You need about 12-15 Mbps download speed to keep it stable, so do check it with a speed test
that should give you an idea where the problem lies.

If you go the android route you can load STBEMU pro and the menus are really easy to use.

Also you can get apps for it to allow you to stream films, box sets etc.

It will also turn your TV into a smart TV with catch up channels etc if it doesn't have them already.

Ok thanks.
The box needs to show tv channels (eg last shown channel) if it turns off and on.
The folks prefer something as simplest as possible, so no apps etc.
I reckon a Mag will do.

The folks broadband is NOT the best, less than 8 I think. So without doubt will freeze once in a while.

I clicked on th Mag links ... the Mag254 looks like the best rated out of all the Mags.
I see Mag254 and MAg254W1 - no noticeable difference, any thoughts on just the mag254?

Also ,I wonder if I can stick a flashdrive in the back and increase buffer or something.

Mags are good, the 256 is quicker. The W at the end means it will run on WiFi
but you are better with a wired connection.

Android is quicker again, STBEMU is a MAG emulator so it works exactly the same.

Mags are good, the 256 is quicker. The W at the end means it will run on WiFi
but you are better with a wired connection.

Android is quicker again, STBEMU is a MAG emulator so it works exactly the same.

Cheers , but the folks wont want to muck around with starting this app or that menu etc. Im looking for a box that , as soon as you switch it on, will be showing a channel.
I'll invest in a Mag afterall - will plump for 254, for no other reason other than it has solid reviews.

Cheers pal

Edit: just bought a 254. A few comments in there complaining their boxes stopped working after 3 months, and that the seller was ignoring their emails. I suppose there's a risk to everything.

Last edited:

Give the MAC address to your server then put in the URL information that he gives you, reboot and you are good to go. 5 min job.

They run pretty hot.

I use a h2h for cable and iptv and it works great sounds to me like your going to waste money on a new box as there is nothing up with a h2h it is your supplier of iptv or your internet speed so if you get a new box I reckon you will still have the same problem try other iptv suppliers with test lines and see which ones the best took me a while to get a decent provider

I use a h2h for cable and iptv and it works great sounds to me like your going to waste money on a new box as there is nothing up with a h2h it is your supplier of iptv or your internet speed so if you get a new box I reckon you will still have the same problem try other iptv suppliers with test lines and see which ones the best took me a while to get a decent provider

Thanks - we need another one, for the kitchen telly. Means we will end up with two subs but thats the way it is. Cheers

Hi Guys, I’ve looked at a lot of forum reads now but can’t find what answer I need. If I’m in the wrong place please tell me. I have been using a fire stick for smart iptv but now want better quality but still simple to use. I’m going to buy a smart 4K ultra hd tv, so my question is... will I be better using the Smart iptv app with a sub straight to the tv or use a magbox, thanks

Hi Guys, I’ve looked at a lot of forum reads now but can’t find what answer I need. If I’m in the wrong place please tell me. I have been using a fire stick for smart iptv but now want better quality but still simple to use. I’m going to buy a smart 4K ultra hd tv, so my question is... will I be better using the Smart iptv app with a sub straight to the tv or use a magbox, thanks

Sorry Tom, im a newbie like yourself. I do reckon it might be better if you post a new thread in the same sub-forum this thread is in (IPTV Guide Support discussion)

Noticably hot, I assume they are solid state, so no fan.

I have two mates with them, they haven't had any problems but they
both run the same way, warm to touch and I mean warm !!

Last edited:
I have been using a fire stick for smart iptv but now want better quality but still simple to use. I’m going to buy a smart 4K ultra hd tv,

You won't see any difference in picture quality with a 4K TV, It is a different system.

If you can get cable, that is the best quality you can get at the moment.

The quality of the feeds through IPTV depend on your server and internet speed.

You need a 4K signal coming in to get a 4K picture coming out. They look great in the show rooms, they may say about upscaling but I honestly can't tell the difference between my dad's 4K and my 1080p.

I will defo upgrade if c/s ever gets that far but at the moment I'm sticking with what i've got.

Last edited:
Back