Nvidea shield. Buy or not ?

Carolinea

TK Veteran
Guys, I’m in the middle of times square, in NEWYORK. and I need the forums brilliant help. Ok so I’m here with the family for less than a week left,and the problem is,Do I buy the Latest Nvidia shield box in Brooklyn and take in home now, this is because of all the Fire stick changes that are being set upon us come April/may. So Amazon uk have at least a 1 month waiting list for the box,think it’s around the £190 mark,I can get it here for £160.Or maybe they’ll get a work around for the fire sticks come then, for we all know what for…. So come on fellas,just no time for debate..it’s simply buy or not buy…or hang fast till the switch over,in which it looks like a videa Shield boxes are gonna be like PS 5s at Christmas come the time. Thanks fellas over to you….Carolinea.

Nice read, you can buy them on next day from amazon but at about £254. I'm glad I have both the 2017 and 2023. Sure I heard somewhere the American ones are different to UK ones with different install apps, not sure though.

Sure I heard somewhere the American ones are different to UK ones with different install apps, not sure though.
I assume that will be the pre-installed apps. So how on first boot, it asks if you want to download bbc iplayer, itvx etc. I have UK and American apps on mine.

Nice read, you can buy them on next day from amazon but at about £254. I'm glad I have both the 2017 and 2023.

I assume you mean 2017 and 2019 versions? The latter is about £190 on Amazon. I think the £250ish prices are the ones from Amazon Marketplace.

So come on fellas,just no time for debate..it’s simply buy or not buy…or hang fast till the switch over,in which it looks like a videa Shield boxes are gonna be like PS 5s at Christmas come the time. Thanks fellas over to you….Carolinea.

Buy, buy, buy

@Drox I have one with flat remote and newer one with the triangle remote. In the marketing bumf it's said 2023 version but I know it's been out a while. Either way they are fantastic machines and easy to put apps on.

I have the one with the triangle remote in the cupboard collecting dust as the wife couldn’t get the hang of the interface so had to get her the fire stick.

When I used it on the rare occasion it was nice and fast.

That’s what I mean about this being the best tech forum. Thanks so much guy’s,you have all been brilliant,I mean that,I really really mean that.I’ll go back to the store in the morning. Thanks again….Carolinea.

If your desperate to get it then go for it!

However, I would personally wait till the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro goes on offer on Amazon UK. It should be circa the same price and it will be with a UK plug. No stress, issues in the unlikely event the product develops a fault, etc.

In the meantime, go to Walmart - get the Onn box and use that!

Back home from the states fellas with the NVIDIA SHIELD Pro,set up and running like a dream,it’s way way more responsive than my FIRESTICK, and everything is so fast on it. I’ve sent away for a usb hub and a 120gb pen to give it a bit more storage,I read that usb pens put directly into the shield did get excessively hot,but this disappears if you put a usb hub into the shield then pen to hub,everything is cool,just a quick thought guy’s if you’ve a pen installed direct into the shield just check it now to see if it’s hot or cold,the guy who showed me this tip,really knew his way around a shield box for sure. But your a pretty clued of bunch of lads,and you’d probably knew that usb pen trick anyway 😘👍

Back home from the states fellas with the NVIDIA SHIELD Pro,set up and running like a dream,it’s way way more responsive than my FIRESTICK, and everything is so fast on it. I’ve sent away for a usb hub and a 120gb pen to give it a bit more storage,I read that usb pens put directly into the shield did get excessively hot,but this disappears if you put a usb hub into the shield then pen to hub,everything is cool,just a quick thought guy’s if you’ve a pen installed direct into the shield just check it now to see if it’s hot or cold,the guy who showed me this tip,really knew his way around a shield box for sure. But your a pretty clued of bunch of lads,and you’d probably knew that usb pen trick anyway 😘👍
Ive a 256gb stick in mine, its no hotter than ambient temp.

They're so much snappier than firesticks but then again they do cost more.

I've not really looked into recording with my shield but I've just popped a 64gb stick in to test it.

Back