Openbox is there a plug & play version for absolute beginners?

Iron Duke

I keep seeing ads on Ebay UK for the Openbox STB and am tempted to buy one as they aren't expensive.

However, as I am new to this and have no experience I wondered if there is a genuine plug and play version that doesn't require too much knowledge from the start?

Not many premium channels available any more with sattalite You can buy them where they are just plug and play but Tbh I would rather get one and help from within the forum do it yourself but there is better boxes than openbox

I keep seeing ads on Ebay UK for the Openbox STB and am tempted to buy one as they aren't expensive.

However, as I am new to this and have no experience I wondered if there is a genuine plug and play version that doesn't require too much knowledge from the start?

It all depends what you are trying to achieve.
If you use it for satellite/sky, you won't get any sky movies or sky sports but you will get BTsport and a hundred other channels.
If you want it for iptv, there are better boxes around for that than an openbox at the same price

Hi, everyone thanks for responding.

Must admit was interested in Prem. football but accept that's probably not realistic.

What other boxes are out there and do they do the same thing as the Openbox?

What does iptv mean?

Really am a novice so bear with me!!

Hi, folks thanks again for your interest.

I am in a cable area (used to be NTL long ago). Not sure where this is going other than of course I could sign up for Virgin or Sky but have always resisted out of principle as I'm not a fan of either especially Branson! Am I missing something here?

I was merely interested in whether an Openbox or similar would extend my viewing but it seems maybe not the case?

Asked if you was in a cabled area because the premium channels you require are still available and with any luck your line could still be active and for not much more cost for a different box you would get all premium channels :(y):

http://www.techkings.org/posts/806468/

Have a read in here about cable boxes etc :(y):

Last edited by a moderator:
Asked if you was in a cabled area because the premium channels you require are still available and with any luck your line could still be active and for not much more cost for a different box you would get all premium channels :(y):

http://www.techkings.org/posts/806468/

Have a read in here about cable boxes etc :(y):

Hi, I see what you mean but unfortunately although the cable runs past the house it has never been connected to the property.

There is only selected few left on sly there is iptv where you get all premu9channels but finding the right supplier the best way forward is rs500nutter recently posted is cable if in a cabled area which if I had virmin in my area I would choose virmin over the iptv that I have

Ok only way then to view cable channels would be to take out basic internet package with virgin and that would give you an active line othetwise you will have to read up on iptv to get the premium channels you require ok :(y):

Hi, I see what you mean but unfortunately although the cable runs past the house it has never been connected to the property.
Not even from previous tenants if not it's either remaining sattalite channels which you can have iptv or just one or other or as @rs500nutter has mentioned take the basic package on virmin or don't know if it would be same if you just took broadband out with them

A basic cable box is round about £50 - £60 and a 12 month line will cost you about £40- £60 for the year to clear your channels etc ok there are more expensive boxes around but depends on your budget etc ok :(y):

I think cheapest broadband deal only from virgin is about £27 a month which in turn would guarantee you an active line for cable channels etc :(y):

Back