Optimum setup for Swap file, EPG and Recordings on H.S2?

slyoldfox

Hi Guys,

Had my box for a couple of weeks know and loving what it can do so far. The box is hidden away in a TV cabinet and I have installed the telly'mote app on my phone to be able to change channels etc without having line of site for IR remote. Not everything can be done via the app but it does the basics easily.

With regards to the actual setup of the box, what are the best options you have found? Swap file, epg and recordings all on one USB / HDD? Swap file and epg on MicroSD and recordings on a separate USB / HDD? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SD, sorry Micro SD card is fastest I believe so EPG, Swap and Picons on here with recordings on the HDD ?

When I am not titting about with my box and unplugging and plugging in USB and SD cards I have it set as above without any issue on the H2S. I find that all on a USB stick in the back can be a little slower.

Others input would be nice :-)

Yes it's a matter of personal preference, I have a 2S and default all those settings to the HDD. I use a 500gb and all seems to work fine. I changed the swap file from 256 up to the largest size all good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's a matter of personal preference, I have a 2S and default all those settings to the HDD. I use a 500gb and all seems to work fine. I changed the swap file from 256 up to the largest size all good for now.

Hi
What size is the largest swap file and is it this that determines the access speed of the EPG etc?

Depending on which image you use and how up to date it is you can select 2048 on the swap. If you have the space for it why not. Others will argue EPG should be on a separate usb stick, comes down to preference.

Depending on which image you use and how up to date it is you can select 2048 on the swap. If you have the space for it why not. Others will argue EPG should be on a separate usb stick, comes down to preference.

This is it, some use old USB sticks, some use slow Micro SD cards, some use USB 3.0 sticks and so on. If it works for you and you are happy with it that is what matters.

I like to try and have a fast loading EPG with picons, but again with all the titting about I do it normally ends up on the HDD and as the missus doesn't moan I am happy with that.

Yeah i don't have a spare usb or micro sd to put epg and picons on (which is what i would do if i had a spare) everything is stored on a single 32gb usb in the back. Wouldn't mind testing it just to see if i can notice a difference in performance

I am using the latest sucmnsee image for my 2S and the maximum I can select is 256MB. I am using a 1TB HDD

I love the box, it's fantastic, but I am still trying to convince the family. The EPG is a bit slow to load, but it doesn't look like I can do anything to improve it from what you are saying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far guys. I think I'm going to try the Micro SD option and keep the USB / HDD solely for recordings, see how that goes.

How are you connected direct lan cable or wifi? that can make a difference. You could always try out atv image from Wooshman's build.. I also noticed that changing to sshd drive over the now older mechanical disk was quicker loading the epg !!

I'm using a wired connection, the router is bang at the side of the box.

I have had the box up and running for a couple of weeks now using Wooshman's build, and I'm getting to grips with most of it. Just wanted people's opinions on the best way to configure / setup the box for optimum performance

Sounds good slyoldfox a good setup you have, I was posting previous comment for contracts34 as well

Sounds good slyoldfox a good setup you have, I was posting previous comment for contracts34 as well

Hi southsimon

I also have a LAN connection, with a steady 37Mpbs line. What is a reasonable expectation for time to open the EPG? I just want to make sure My expectations aren't too high. As a relative newbie, I have been careful not to change too much now I have things working. I have only ever flashed sucmnsee software. How does Wooshman's build differ?

Cheers

Well you know what they say if it ain't broken..... It's all about preference. I like the wooshman build it just works for me. You would have to do your own testing to find out what's best for you. Having come from a sky box to a TiVo my expectations where set way to high, it's the slowest box in the world. So pleased with my zgemma and Vu+ boxes, and what you can do with them. [emoji106]

If you have the wooshman build and everything on usb stick, how do you alter it to move epg, picons etc to a microsd card? Only had box a few days so getting to grips with it :-)

If you have the wooshman build and everything on usb stick, how do you alter it to move epg, picons etc to a microsd card? Only had box a few days so getting to grips with it :-)

To move the EPG: Menu -> Setup -> CrossEPG -> Configure
To have Picons on Micros SD: Follow the instructions for adding picons and select the Micro SD when you are asked where you want them to go.

If you already have Picons installed, remove them first from the plugins menu red button. The install again to micro SD.

Back