Option for wifi at my Static caravan,

stoddy2k01

HI all.
Does anybody have any advice on the options i have in order for me to take my skybox F5 to my Static and get it to work over there. There is no wifi but i can get 4G therefore i wondered if there was an option and if i had to use 4g would it work or would it be expensive.

Thanks for any advice or ideas i'm always grateful to you all..

I used a 4g dongle before, it uses very little data, kb's, I did have to have an internet radio station streaming on mute on another device to keep the 4G connection alive as the box needs a code every 8 secs

Yes, but due to the nature of mobile broadband you will have to keep the connection "live" so I streamed an internet radio station on phone/tablet/PC and left it on mute, this helped, very little data, it never used up my 1Gb allowance on the PAYG dongle during the two weeks I used it.

P.S. I had to buy a mobile/travel router with an ethernet connection an the box was ran "wired" then as I needed wireless for the radio station to keep the signal alive. Hope that makes sense?! lol

would one of these 3/4G dongle things you can buy. Work if i plugged it into the back of the skybox or do i have to set the skybox up to operate wireless. thanks for your advice.

I looked at the item on the website. how would that work. I always thought the dongle is usb stick with a sim card in it and i would have to plug that into my laptop. i just watched a clip on youtube and it shows this being plugged into the mains then into the Ethernet cable in the other end. can ya tell me how or what i would have to do to get this working. sorry but i'm a bit of a nerd when absorbing stuff. so if you imagine i have an 02 Dongle the Asus Router and my skybox. where do we go from here gmant4 Thanks :-)

Oh yeh that looks good. I'll let you know how it goes. And thank you for all your help. Will i still need to run my phone as you did with radio. to keep the signal open or would i not with this router.

I kept an app running on silent to ensure the 3G connection would remain "on", I would recommend keeping an app running, I had the FM104 app running

Its no bother, good luck!

P.S. the second link would suit better, also set it up at home on your PC before you go.

Back