Ping Ping

adrianfo

Hi
I'm wondering how to ping the line server from my box if it's at all possible.
I tested my internet connection with an online test.
This test confirms I'm pinging a round trip at 22ms with 0% packet loss via the ping test at sharedband dot com.
This test is done from the command window and does not use java and it averages out the result of 200 pings in 4 minutes. I guess it's pretty reliable.

I'm a bit concerned about the high ECM which on a couple of my channels is really high causing a lot of glitching, consequently I'd like to ping the line sever so I'm ready with answers to the probable questions when I get in touch with my provider.
Cheers
Adrian

Not sure from the box, but from a PC you can do it via CMD Prompt, just run ping mycamsvr.ddns.uk etc or continuous ping is ping -t mycamsvr.ddns.uk

The above post is correct about pinging.

That will just ping the server to see if you get a reply or not - it won't help you prove that certain channels are scrambling or not.

You will need to look at the ECM requests of the affected channel - some channels will have a higher ping of getting ECM requests which will result in glitching rather than others with lower ping ECM requests with less/no glitches.

Just pinged the cam server 22ms with no lost packets - so I guess that's okay
So If I'm pinging okay would high ECM requests point to an oversubscribed line/service.
If you were my provider and you received an email where concerns were voiced regarding bad glitching probably due in part to high ECM requests of as many as 1500, would you be impressed. Or would you cut me loose? :p

High ECM requests would point to an oversubscribed line most likely but there could be other factors such as:

- Server not being maintained correctly
- Server not having enough local cards to depend on the load (or using cache shares)
- Server not having the particular channel on a local card and getting it from a share
- Could be an issue with your internet connection rather than the server
- Factors such as using wireless connections rather than ethernet cables from your box to the router

There are a few more but this is what I can think of now from the back of my head.

At the end, it depends if the user is getting glitches or not. Different servers have different thresholds of ECM level too.

Back