Please help me answer some questions.

Luffy

Hi, I'm trying to make the switch to cable. I've got a couple of questions, and was hoping if the community here could kindly answer them.

With the satellite option, one thing I really liked was the ability to pickup Irish Channels.
Does cable offer the same ability?
You cannot get Irish channels if you live outside Ireland.

Do I need multiple lines coming into my home to gain the ability to watch one channel and record another? or is that done by splitting the single cable line coming in a third time? Depends on the box

Would splitting the cable have any affect on my broadband speed? No

I've read the handy FAQ by ste multiple times, would these products be suitable for my setup?
  1. Labgear 3 way UHF 5-1000MHZ (ste recommends this one)
  2. Webro WF100 25 m
  3. F Compression connectors
Ste recommends picking this one up:
  1. 2 way splitter + cable

Is there anything else I need to purchase? to be able to watch one channel and record another? No

Does cable gift system work the same way as satellite? n-line, mgcamd etc. Yes

Any help is appreciated.
Luffy

EDIT: Thanks to the following people for helping me out: ste, cactkid, janso
I've updated the questions with their answers.

Last edited:
Hiya - glad you've found some useful info in my FAQ.

I'm in the UK so not that clued up on the Irish side so not sure what channels are available over there but i'm sure there's people on here who can answer that for you.

Depending on what box you have depends on how many times you need to split the cable feed coming into your home - if you are wanting the zgemma h5.2tc for example, the signal is split internally so it only needs 1 input so if you're only using this and your router then a 2 way splitter would be better.

Splitting the feed wont have any effect on your internet speed.

Yes, the gift system works the same although cable lines tend to be more expensive and Irish cable lines are a little harder to find but not impossible.

The items you've listed are fine but if you still need a 3 way splitter, I'd suggest this one over the Labgear one > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix...990683?hash=item4b17366f9b:g:1goAAOSwcgNZEzG2

Last edited:
one line should cover a twin tuner cable box
splitter one side to box other side to router
how good is your vm broadband
same idea sat or cable but cable lines are different uk or irl

uk wont give irish channels

No

No

Split the cable as many times as necessary - usually just once or twice depending on how your tuners are set - some boxes split internally.

Don't think so as long as you get decent equipment - there are splitter kits online that have the same stuff virgin use.

That's all you really need.

Yes it works the same.

Bollocks, beaten to it. [emoji23]

Last edited:
Thank you guys, much appreciated with the really fast responses.

Thinking about picking up Vu+ Solo SE V2, that has two DVB-C inputs. So I'll need to split it three times (based on the answers).
In terms of boxes, which is better the VU+ or Zgemma?

I guess, i'll never be able to watch RTE 2 again :/. Had some really good kids programming on Saturdays.

Does that not have an internal splitter? I think it does. So you only need to split once if so.

Vu is far better than a Zgemma though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vu+ Solo SE V2 does have a hybrid tuner like the H5.2TC so for both it would only need spitting twice - 1 to go into router and 1 into the receiver.

Looking at the specs on both, the Vu+ Solo SE V2 is quicker but over £70 more expensive and does the same job albeit it slightly slower.

And it does give you the option of picking up either freesat or foreign sats if you choose to.

Does that not have an internal splitter? I think it does. So you only need to split once if so.

Vu is far better than a Zgemma though.

Ahh you're correct, there is an internal splitter.

Any idea if these are suitable for 2 way split?
Or can this solve my problem for cable and splitter?

nothing wrong with Zgemma's as they punch way above their price tag but generally the VU brand is regarded as superior by a country mile

No I know. But the Zgemma does, following on from ste's comment.

You can with the H5.2TC though which i'm guessing is what he meant.

EDIT: It was :grin:

Back