Please recommend a budget freeview cable box.

Moyt

Hi,
After an inexpensive box for UK cable, very basic and easy to use. Something along the lines of Openbox, easy to set up and update. No need for twin tuners.
However a good EPG is a must.

Budget £70.

Thanks for your help! ​

Hi,
After an inexpensive box for UK cable, very basic and easy to use. Something along the lines of Openbox, easy to set up and update. No need for twin tuners.
However a good EPG is a must.

Budget £70.

Thanks for your help! ​

The reapers your man on the openbox front, or should I say freesat.cn boxes lol.
Amiko mini hd combo, easy to set up and set up channel list

Last edited:
ExccccceeeeeelleEeEeent. Amiko HD Combo....I'll look into that thanks!!!!!! :)

I'm hoping this EPG will be good on this???

Last edited:
ExccccceeeeeelleEeEeent. Amiko HD Combo....I'll look into that thanks!!!!!! :)

I'm hoping this EPG will be good on this???

bad choice.

Within your £70 budget you can buy zgemma enigma 2 receiver. 100x better also has 7 day epg.

I picked up an Eddison for £79 epg is only 24 hours, still finding my way around ;-0

bad choice.

Within your £70 budget you can buy zgemma enigma 2 receiver. 100x better also has 7 day epg.

Pheeeeeww!! Thanks for the warning. I was close to buying an Amiko on ebay! Guess I'll pass on Mr Amiko now :p

zgemma hunting it is then! Hope it's as straight forward to set up as my tacky openbox v8. :grin:
Either way 7 day EPG, can't go wrong with that!
I can see a few knocking about on auction around £60.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
sat gives you 7 day epg does a cable box give you 24HR only?,i would be adding a few more quid into the price and get a box you can sit down and look at tv with.

Oh so only 24 hours EPG with cable? That will still do I guess. It's definitely better than 1 or 2 EPG listings on my Openbox v8. :p

Still safe to say a 24 hour EPG is good enough. If anyone has managed 7 days EPG that would be interesting to know.

I also get 7 days EPG on cable. You have to select the right channel (the PVR-EPG channel) to use EPG refresh with, if you just choose one of the normal channels I think that's when you only get 24 hour. I leave mine going at around 3am for a good 20 minutes too, just to be sure!

I've just upgraded to an Xtrend et10k from the Edision os mini, I wanted transcoding otherwise I would have stuck with it. If you still want an Edision I could be tempted to sell it.

Still haven't bought the zgemma box yet. Could be a good thing yet again, because some of you guys are saying Edision OS MINI over zgemma.
Is there much of a difference between the 2?
But from what I'm seeing zgemma doesn't seem to be a bad choice anyways, right?
Just to mention again, it will be for basic use so nothing really fancy needed so long as the 7day EPG is there, and whichever is more reliable, easier to use and setup.

Good to know that 7 day EPG can be done on cable! :)

BTW I'm only looking on ebay UK and I can see Edision OS MINI for £80 at cheapest. I don't really like to buy from elsewhere for these things, unless they're a reliable source.
Going to have to excuse any silly questions from me, it's a bit of a jump for me from an openbox f5. Which all I do is update the channel list at most and leave it there. :p

Thanks again people for being helpful! :grin:

PS. I'll be buying THIS zgemma if it's not worth going for anything else.

Last edited:
Edision OS MINI 1x DVB-C/T/T2 Cable/Terrestrial HD 1080p PVR Linux Enigma 2 Digital Receiver

Flashed with Openvix.

Buy from world of sat, 2yr warranty, official Vix support. Can be updated over the net by
pressing a button on the remote.

The EPG and Channel list Auto updates automatically every night.

Cable lines are approx twice the price of sat lines, but you get all the HD channels.

Last edited:
just to clarify from post 1 "Something along the lines of Openbox, easy to set up and update. No need for twin tuners."
which is why I recommended a amiko or freesat.cn, possibly now out his comfort zone, just saying!

EPG is crap on Amiko, only now and next.

Simple to work though and my thinking is that when he gets his hands on one of these modern boxes your inbox will be full or you may have a friends request sent lol

Back