Please recommend a budget freeview cable box.

Edision OS MINI 1x DVB-C/T/T2 Cable/Terrestrial HD 1080p PVR Linux Enigma 2 Digital Receiver

Can be updated over the net by
pressing a button on the remote.

The EPG and Channel list Auto updates automatically every night.

I'm assuming these are the advantages over the zgemma?
Again over my budget as they're £80 + £6 shipping. Not that much over, but if it's worth the extra cash then I'll consider as this will be for the long term.

Cheers.

---------- Post Merged at 05:12 PM ----------

which is why I recommended a amiko or freesat.cn, possibly now out his comfort zone, just saying!

If it was me I would have just snapped up that Amiko because I don't care about EPG and favour simple use. Unfortunately it's for someone else and EPG has to be up to scratch as a request. So no choice but to compromise on a more complicated box for the sake of good EPG. Fingers crossed once it's all figured I can just leave it there with them and really hope they don't screw anything up in the settings. :p

Anyone else want to chip on why Edison over zgemma? :grin:

Last edited:
The Zgemma and Edision will be pretty much the same in terms
of function and speed.

Openvix is the most popular image (firmware)

If you want a box that can be updated by the press of a button then you need
a box officially supported by Vix.

The Zgemma isn't supported by Vix, it uses a modded Vix image, but it is supported by OpenAtv.
so if you run Vix it needs to be reflashed by USB to update it.

Also with the Edision you get a 2yr warranty and excellent support from ***.

Ask yourself, if something goes wrong with your box, is it worth the extra couple of quid ?

If you want to know the full story read herelol

Last edited:
Also with the Edision you get a 2yr warranty and excellent support from ***.

Ask yourself, if something goes wrong with your box, is it worth the extra couple of quid ?

If you want to know the full story read herelol

There doesn't seem to be any further objection, so I guess I'm sold! :grin:
Just not looking forward to the 5000 page manual for it, but I'm sure it'll be worth learning. :p

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Next step after ordering your box is

to read this here

It's pretty straight forward when the box is in front of you (y)

Ok Sorry to drop in guys ... but I was looking at sat and might jump over to cable instead (for HD)
Do I need twin tuners for recording one and watch another ? If so I will want twin, and pref 7 day epg.
£100 budget, recommendations ?
I take it I can get all sat channels that cable provides ?
Does it hook to my tv feed from wall box, or split from internet feed ?
Are their generally less issues with cable ?

Sorry for all the questions, still feeling my way about !

Budget wise I think there only 1 receiver at that price, its a bit dated now but suit you a venton unibox
There's a few Channels missing from cable that sly have, you would have to check the channel lists.
If you have an old feed that was used for your TV receiver then yes connect it up there.

You won't get a twin cable box for £100

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2 Cable / Terrestrial Linux HD PVR Ready Receiver £170
GiGaBlue HD X3 Linux Enigma 2 HD PVR Satellite Receiver Triple Tuner Combo 1x DVB-S/S2 + 2x DVB-C/T/T2 £160

Are about the cheapest options.

Using a combo "sat and cable" box may work out a bit cheaper but you will need a sat line and a cable line.

Internet feed to box from the router.

Router and box need a VM feed, so you may need a splitter on that

Next step after ordering your box is

to read this here

It's pretty straight forward when the box is in front of you (y)

NICE GUIDE!
Well the box is arriving 2mo. I would say I'm excited but, 1. It's not for me and 2. I don't have cable anyway to borrow it for a few days :p
Box is delivered with OpenVIX

Thanks for all the help given, hopefully it'll be a nice walk in the park getting this set up.

Cable only shows about 4 or 5 FTA channels, it's not like sat.
BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4 all SD, there are no FTA HD channels broadcast.

Ooops, how do you access the wizard again? :p

Edit:
It's ok I got it, I got it! Just when things say 'factory reset' I keep thinking it's going to wipe everything off! :grin:

Last edited:
Sorry guys, But I have more questions:
1. Can I record multi channels and watch others as per the branston box, as they only have one input ?
2. If no and a twin tuner is needed, do you just split the feed line into 2 ?
3. What firmware for 7 day EPG ?
4. GiGaBlue HD Ultra UE Linux Enigma 2 any good ?

Last edited:
Back