Poor Signal Strength on certain channels

douggie-b

I wonder if an experienced tech bod can help me at all please.

On certain channels (eg. Cartoonito and BT Sport 1 amongst others) I keep getting glitching.

Upon speaking to my provider, they say my ECMs (whatever they may be) are all fine, and they cannot see evidence of a line problem. They have said to make sure the signal strength is a minimum of 55%. I have noticed on these channels that the signal strength is actually very poor - well below 55%.

Can poor strength that can cause the problem? If so, is there a way of boosting the strength? Are the channels available on more than one frequency? I use ABM on Vix Apollo so they should always be up-to-date?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, a poor signal can cause pixelation, its usually dish alignment, can you reach your dish to make minimal adjustments? With someone watching the signal level on the box?

Hi gmangt4 - thanks for your reply. Can i just check this won't affect other channels where signal strength is 100%? Don't want to knock other channels off to repair these if you see where I'm coming from.

Also - the picture doesn't pixellate per se, but actually freezes for a few seconds then continues. Just to check I'm on the correct path here.

Ok, freeze for a few seconds can be server, is it possible for you to try a test line from another server to see if there is any difference?
Have you rebooted your router recently? There are a lot of complaints on other forums about the BT channels freezing......
I understand the not wanting to touch it.....channels don't need 100% Sometimes its a best balance.....and ABM is up to date?

---------- Post Merged at 11:55 AM ----------

Also how is your box connected to the internet, wireless? Homeplugs? Straight wired?
cheers

Yeah, use Vix apollo and run ABM each morning 4am. I use homeplugs for connection to router.

I can try another line, but to be fair All 5ky sports and movies seem to work fine - it's just the select few that play up. Would I expect all channels to misbehave if server problem?

No, it can be certain channels.....if it was your internet connection then generally all channels would glitch...a 100% glitch free line is generally from Sly themselves lol

If all is known good your side then yes its very possible, try another server and see if its any different.

I've had problems on certain channels and worked it out it was high ecms on**sky one it was over 0.500 where as other channels are around 0.200 or less working fine all I did was swap it with one that was low on last scanned section. *

I've nenever seen a dish give 100% signal on sly, but that been said I can understand glitching on a sports channel ona weekend but a cartoon channel? you could check that your cables are nice and tight in the back of your box also as suggested reboot your box but if you want to make sure your dish hasn't moved over the years you can get a signal metre of fleabay for under a fiver and you can check your signal and make tiny corrections.

I personaly check my dish once a year, clean my dish and LNB surface when cleaning my windows and check the cables aren't rusting either on a regular bsis. I've never had glitching on my dish and have a great signal for all channels, I guess its just my OCD's kicking in, lol

Back