Power Adappters, Home Plugs, Wifi Booster?

casper17

Hi,

In the process of doing a lot of research on skyboxes, gifts and overall set up of the devices. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on multi-room set up and what they currently have in place to achieve a glitch free service in the other rooms in their homes.

My first thought is to buy a 500mbps power adapter (or whatever name you have for them) and place it in my bedroom as it is a brave distance from the router. I am wondering do people generally connect the bedroom skybox directly to the power adapter through the use of an Ethernet cable or are most people happy enough leaving it as wifi booster in the room and experience very little problems with this set up?

Second question I have is if I were to set up a third box do I buy a separate pair of power adapters to service this or can the third box work of the same power adapter connected directly to the router downstairs?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks for any help?

spent a lot of money in the past,god knows how much in the future lol,started off with a vu solo,pity i wanted to record also added vu duo,wanted another,bought the previous model of octagon sf8 as better specs than the solo,finally added solo2 fastest e2 box from boot,internal hdd on duo of 2tb and solo2 1tb +a network nas hdd of 2tb,the great things that these boxes do is work,i can access solo2 or duo or nas drive from all boxes,most on 28.2 where as solo2 has hotbird latest sky films in italian si,and the crappy over 18s cough cough lol,i went with hard wiring most boxes ,only 1 is through homeplug for the moment have a number of hubs around with cables plugged in.
homeplugs can have issues if used in paired power socket.

I am really just looking an entry level box atm- i do realise there is some great boxes available but maybe for later down the line. More focused on powerline adapters atm and what way people have their multi room set up.

Cheers

start off looking at the octagon sf8 at £130 much much better than skyboxes,you can use powerline adapters,500 is too high as you can use the lesser one

How low you talking on the adapters 200mbps or 300mbps? What is the issue with the F5s Catikid? Are they not all very similar at the entry level as far as performance and capabilities are concerned?

Cheers

loss of channel,no signal,bricked boxes,glitching ,all in the loads of threads to read.performance and capabities not there as its a cheap build=inferior parts.
lan 200-300 quite suitable,people spend more time trying to get box to work rather than watching tv

Have you heard much about the M3? I have a firend who has an f5s and he says its great very little problems with it- hes only had it about 2 months though.

1. you buy a sat box for yoour needs
2. a wired connection from the router to the sat box is always best. however, this is not achiveable so homeplugs are the next best option. remember your network must be set correctly to achive the best from your server.
3 try a few test lines and pick the one best for you
if you have met all the above the service you get should be as good as sly offer you.

the boxes i would recomend
single tuner would be the octagon sf8. i rembered this time. if you want a dual tuner go for the vu+ duo. there are newer boxes from the vu range however, they have a hefty price tag and i am not convinced they a are worth the extra money. i would not bother with the skybox as a main sat box as you will soon grow out of it so it is better to spend the money now and get a decent setup. for places like the bedroom a skybox would be good enough

Last edited:
Back