"Quality Box" or ZGemma-Star S2?

amigo4

Hi all

thank you for providing such a helpful resource on this fascinating hobby.

This is my first venture into the area and had up until a few hours ago decided to go with a ZGemma-Star S2 unit, however some reading further a field suggests (possibly by someone with a vested interest) that some units tend to be unreliable and a bit flakey.

I fully appreciate alot of this may be down to personal preferences / experiences and may not reflect the vast majority of users experiences.

If you have any thoughts or experiences of using any of the following devices it would be gratefully received
a) ZGemma-Star S2
b) VU+ Zero
c) Technomate TM Nano SE

Requirements -
- reliable device
- good forum support
- responsive interface (speed)
- record capability on external storage
- single tuner (twin would be bonus)
- Sp0rts channels (HD also a bonus)

I would also appreciate which firmware/OS to install for a novice user to get up and running quickly.

Many thanks in anticipation
Amigo4

I have a VuSolo2, GemmaS2 and ibox3, the solo2 is in a different league but the others do the job too, I use Openvix on them all, for me solo2 with internal HDD is top value and its twin tuner.

For HD sports you will need Cable, thats why I have ibox3 or IPTV or a motorized dish.

I have set up 50+ gemma S2 with yet to have an issue that was not my fault .

Hi gmangt4

thank you for taking time to reply.

I had originally set a budget of ~£100 to try out services and use alongside a Humax Youview Freeview box for regular family viewing , but your comments about the VuSolo2 has made me realise that I could replace the Humax entirely with a more refined unit. Further reading and consideration required...

Many thanks
Amigo4

ps. just noticed the comment about HD sp0rts and "Cable". Is cable required for HD only - presumably SD sp0rts is available by satellite (and broadband)?

Pretty much all of the decent HD channels have gone from sat, the SD versions still
work.

Using a cable box will get you the HD and SD version though.

If you have a live VM feed or use them to supply your broadband the cable route
is available too.

best to get some sort of combo box however, worth pointing out iptv HD is still an option. buy your box from wos as you can use official images and they have a range of boxes to suit all budgets.

Thank you all for the replies, I am really glad I asked here before purchasing.

I had assumed that the Zgemma Star S2, VU+ Zero or Technomate TM Nano SE boxes would be capable of receiving sp0rts HD channels (which my old sat sub box received) with the correct cccam subscription.

Is the problem that there are limited/no cccam subs for sat HD channels but SD sp0rts is feasible?

I live in an area where there are no cable services so that isn't an option. Any suggestions as to a good solution to receive HD sp0rts (primarily live golf - sorry)?

Cheers
Amigo4

Solo2 is very quick, one thing these openvix boxes can do you might not be aware of is they can stream to your other devices, like Android or iOS, a PC with VLC player will also be able to stream from the box, being twin tuner it generally does not interfere with whats already being watched, where the solo wins ahead of the others here is the 1.3Ghz dual core and 1Gb of RAM makes it much faster. I have a microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and the opera browser on mine for quick web look ups.

HD Channels

Hi gmangt4

thank you for taking time to reply.

I had originally set a budget of ~£100 to try out services and use alongside a Humax Youview Freeview box for regular family viewing , but your comments about the VuSolo2 has made me realise that I could replace the Humax entirely with a more refined unit. Further reading and consideration required...

Many thanks
Amigo4

ps. just noticed the comment about HD sp0rts and "Cable". Is cable required for HD only - presumably SD sp0rts is available by satellite (and broadband)?[/Q
Hi gmangt4,
I have a skybox m3 and hd channels have stopped working on them, if I was to buy a cable box would Sky sports HD and MOVIES HD work on a cable box. I know sky have encrypted all HD channels on satellite boxes
regards Moe

Back