re which external harddrive

Hi, after lots of advice on here we have decided to get a zgemma 2s. Please can anyone advice on which harddrive to use to record. We have seen some cheap 256gb memory sticks and was wondering if these would be enough as they are a bit cheaper then the external hard drive. If these are no good which one should we go for.
Thanks

I thought the same thing. Bought a cheap 256gb stick but couldn't get it to mount. :-(
Ended up getting a 500gb hdd from argos for £30, works faultlessly

or in the case of harri247 buy cheap twice and probably end up buying a third time and spending way more!

cptslow

The Samsung is a belting drive don't get me wrong and I have nothing against the use of bus powered drives BUT what I'm saying is that on the Zgemma box it may not be wise due to the power limitations of the port and the fact the drive doesn't go to sleep. In every other bus powered application the drive is powered down when not in use and isn't on 24/7x365....I'm not forcing you or anyone else to listen to my advice.... just trying to avoid people down the line saying why has my hard drive stopped working, closely followed by wish I'd known or why didn't anyone mention this...

If you've had a hard drive fail on you, you will know how devastating it can be - admittedly not as bad if it's just your tv recordings and movie collection but still annoying.....

Your drive will probably be pulling more power from the USB port on the box than it was designed to deliver - there's a sticker on the back of the zgemma USB check it against what's on your drive, if your drive is lower at least you won't have to worry about your USB port burning out too.

Interesting reading MT, you live and learn.
The seagate drive from Argos comes with a 2 year guarantee, if it lasts that long I'll be happy, won't solve the issue of lost recordings if it does fail, but the loss of the misuses soaps and cooking programmes isn't a big deal, not to me anyway :) tend to do most of my viewing through kodi on the HTPC
been plugged in for a couple of weeks now with the time shift function activated on the zgemma and seems fine, time will tell I suppose

the 256 USB, delivered from flea bay for under £7 was always a bit of a punt. Works fine on the laptop/PC but don't think I would trust it with anything important , got my copies of insanity and p90x on there:)

cptslow

The Samsung is a belting drive don't get me wrong and I have nothing against the use of bus powered drives BUT what I'm saying is that on the Zgemma box it may not be wise due to the power limitations of the port and the fact the drive doesn't go to sleep. In every other bus powered application the drive is powered down when not in use and isn't on 24/7x365....I'm not forcing you or anyone else to listen to my advice.... just trying to avoid people down the line saying why has my hard drive stopped working, closely followed by wish I'd known or why didn't anyone mention this...

If you've had a hard drive fail on you, you will know how devastating it can be - admittedly not as bad if it's just your tv recordings and movie collection but still annoying.....

Your drive will probably be pulling more power from the USB port on the box than it was designed to deliver - there's a sticker on the back of the zgemma USB check it against what's on your drive, if your drive is lower at least you won't have to worry about your USB port burning out too.

Ok thanks for the advice mate, so what drive would you specifically recommend? could you link me to 1 on amazon?

Thanks mtpockets. Was v close to buying the usb samsung but you have given me something to think about. Thought usb was a good idea and saving a socket but will have to reconsider!!

Mains powered is the way forward and not a lot different in price - Mines a Toshiba 2Tb but as long as from a major manufacturer should be fine. Sucmnsee seems to think USB2 performs better than USB3 for recordings but I've had no issues.

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ----------

could you link me to 1 on amazon?

:sorry: no - the admins on here might think I'm selling and that could end in a :ban:

I bought a 1TB usb powered Toshiba USB3.0 drive from that place that sounds like a long river, and its been running flawlessly for recordings and timeshift for the past 4 weeks.

For £45 I'm not going to worry about it overworking. It's running cool and silent and seems very happy plugged into the 2S.

Mains powered is the way forward and not a lot different in price - Mines a Toshiba 2Tb but as long as from a major manufacturer should be fine. Sucmnsee seems to think USB2 performs better than USB3 for recordings but I've had no issues.

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ----------

could you link me to 1 on amazon?

:sorry: no - the admins on here might think I'm selling and that could end in a :ban:
Can you please PM me a link to this HDD? Ta mate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi all been reading up on the best options for recording and have a question, if I buy a mains powered caddy for either a laptop hard drive or desk top will they go to sleep as a mains powered external hard drive wood? And is there any benefit of using desktop hard drive as opposed to laptop.

Thanks Ian

Back