Receiver Advice

davedoob

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new property that has no working aerial connection, is unable to receive any Virgin services and appears to have a phone line that will only provide a working internet connection speed of around 10Mbps. There are however, two satelite dishes on the wall outside (which I assume are working) with one having a dual lnb with both feeds running into the living room. I think the internet speed will rule out any IPTV options as the internet connection will also be used by two children who use YouTube and other streaming services but maybe I am wrong with that presumption? So I believe that my best option for viewing fta channels would be to purchase a satelite receiver.

I have read a few posts on here to gather an idea of what receiver should be looking for and with a fairly short list of criteria I think the Edision OS nino 1x DVB-S/S2 loaded/flashed with OpenVix is the right choice. All I'm really looking for is a receiver that doesn't freeze or hang often (or not at all in a perfect world [emoji16]) and an EPG which is easy to browse and select a channel with (think technophobe partner and young kids).
There are a few queries i have, which are:

1: Although I have a dual lnb I could make use of, if the only function I would be missing out on is to record a program while watching another on a different channel then I'm happy to stick to a single tuner. Are there any other features a dual tuner gives to you?

2: Does the receiver require a permanent internet connection to be able to provide EPG information?

3: I have heard that you should use an external memory stick to store data (EPG data if I remember correctly), is this true and should I 100% purchase one with the receiver?

4: What would be the best way to test the satelite dishes to make sure they are usable before paying out for a receiver?

5: As a newbie to this I'm not sure if there is anything else I should be looking out for or researching. Is there anything I am missing?

Thanking you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1. if you don't want to record one channel and watch another then single tuner is all you need.
2. it will need an internet connection to update the epg and check for channel frequency changes but you can set how often these run, I have mine updating once a day early in the morning, it doesn't take too long for the updates, . Alternatively you can disable the automatic updates and just run them manually every couple of days.
3. yes you need usb storage for epg etc, you don't have to buy with the box, just don't buy a usb stick from ebay.
4. apart from borrowing a box from someone then I can't help you here.
5. browse the forum, loads of info and views on different boxes

1. if you don't want to record one channel and watch another then single tuner is all you need.
2. it will need an internet connection to update the epg and check for channel frequency changes but you can set how often these run, I have mine updating once a day early in the morning, it doesn't take too long for the updates, . Alternatively you can disable the automatic updates and just run them manually every couple of days.
3. yes you need usb storage for epg etc, you don't have to buy with the box, just don't buy a usb stick from ebay.
4. apart from borrowing a box from someone then I can't help you here.
5. browse the forum, loads of info and views on different boxes
Thanks for helping to clear things up for me. In regards to the internet connection, I have seen a few comments advising against a wireless connection to the router but with no explanation as to why. Would this be more applicable to people using IPTV? Surely an infrequent epg update and channel frequency check would be fine on a wireless connection? I'd happily run an Ethernet cable but I don't think the receiver and router will be in the same room as each other.

I'll have a look through the forum now for info on receiver boxes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would recommend an Xtrend ET10000, thats what i have its very stable crashes very rarely but only takes a few seconds to boot back up and can be configured for freesat and sky free to air channels. it pulls all the channels down regardless of your region and you get the irish channels as well.

Back