Recommend a box

Noste500

I'm looking to replace / upgrade my openbox V5S.
i would like something that caters for the following:
record one channel and watch another channel at the same time. ( I have a seperate hd for this )
it would help if the "epg" ( excuse me if my terminology is wrong as I'm a newbie ) was a similar format to sky.
i don't mind setting it up as long as there is some decent guides I can locate to do so ;-)

if someone could post a link or pm me a good place to buy from that would be helpfull also . Support will be important to keep me going in the correct direction.
budget for box is £100 .
What are the advantages of spending more on a box ?

thanks in advance .

Read this thread: http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/67905-box-beginner-budget-40-100-a.html

This member asked the same questions as you, his budget was £100 max so was pointed towards the zgemma Star 2 box but if you can afford alittle more then World of Satelliteis doing the Xpeed LX2 for £109. You will also need a decent sized external HDD or USB drive to store your recording's on as nither come with internal storage (get them from fleabay).

Both boes will run Vix image but the zgemma is not supported by the Vix team but the Xpeed LX2 is. Both will use the Sky Skin or Blue HD which will give you that sky TV look, both are good boxes and both are twin tuner so you can record 1 channel while watching another.

There are other boxes too but are more expensive so for cost either of these boxes will do you well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply , has the xpeed got a better spec than the zgemma or is it maybe better for me due to the support side of things ?
cheers

---------- Post Merged at 06:49 PM ----------

Also if required , can these boxes be used with a 3G mifi dongle ?

xspeed will leave the zgemma standing and can run true vix image and online update,might have to use their wifi dongle.

Ordered a xpeed box . Will I need a c line or n line for this box ?
where could I find a guide to load it into the box
the box will arrive with vid team image loaded already.
cheers in advance ;-)

xspeed will leave the zgemma standing and can run true vix image and online update,might have to use their wifi dongle.

Why will the xpeed leave gemma standing? Very similar box and processor etc so should be very similar speed.

---------- Post Merged at 03:32 PM ----------

Ordered a xpeed box . Will I need a c line or n line for this box ?
where could I find a guide to load it into the box
the box will arrive with vid team image loaded already.
cheers in advance ;-)

Both cline or nline will work. Nline supposed to be better. Best bet is try here to start.

http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...-satellite-cccam-pay-server-request-only.html

Why will the xpeed leave gemma standing? Very similar box and processor etc so should be very similar speed.

Online updates ? Very convenient !!

You can use this guide here

This is for a combo (sat/cable box) so just miss out the cable tuner parts and set the two sat tuners the same.

Last edited:
You can use my backup image to get your box up and running, just download the file located here:

http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/67979-xpeed-lx2-image-backup.html

Follow the setup instructions and your done, its set for an nline which are regarded as better than clines so you need a newcamd.list file from your supplier to get the channels running. Just use a FTP program like filzilla or Dreambox Control Centre to transfer your nile to the box.

As for why this box is better than the zgemma, yes its supported by Vix so updates don't require a complete reflash, just update via the box and its keeps all your settings in place, also yes they are close in Spec but the Xpeed is better but its upto personal taste and cost, the zgemma is cheaper so is very appealing. But that said I;m sure other with more expensive boxes would say that the xpeed is rubbish compared to their box.

Last edited:
Besides official support what makes the XSPEED better than the Zgemma?

I'm in need of a new box. The zgemma is £74 (free delivery). The XSPEED is £109 (plus £7 delivery).

So am interested to hear why the XSPEED is worth the £40 extra over the Zgemma?

Last edited:
I get not updating unofficial vix online may be a problem for some people.
but in my opinion that doesn't mean xpeed will leave zgemma standing.
but I suppose it answers the question. If vix dont support it, people slate it without trying it. Gets frustrating when u know the people havnt used but bounce on the wagon.
How many bad reviews have been posted about a zgemma box?
from someone whos had skybox/ gigablue/ vu/ cloud/ zgemma theres nothing wrong with zgemma boxs. Other than no (official) vix support. But other images like atv etc can online update.
rant over and apologies if sounds argumentative. Not meant to.

Sucmnsee is right about the zgemma box, if someone has a limited buget then I would recommend the zgemma too. Its all down to personal choice, not a p!ssing contest between the two boxes, I have an Xpeed LX2 and love it, the zgemma is made by the same poeple who make the ibox 2+ SE (which I own) and I think thats a great box too at a good price so to me the zgemma is a great box too. Yes the Xpeed has a little better spec but not a major differene to make the boxes two completey different boxes. As the Xpeed has come down in price alot and is now afordable to the meer mortal its starting to make inroads.

I personally think it does come down to offical support, having to reinstall your zgemma Vix everytime you want to update it can be a pain but the Xpeed is supported so can get the lastest updates directly from VIX without a reinstall.

No matter what poeple say/reccomend its up to the person who is looking for a box and what they are looking for, if you want a cheap simple, easy to use box and you don't mind not updating everytime VIX release an update then I would say get the zgemma, no point spending the extra, if you want a offically supported box then get the Xpeed LX2 both boxes are good.

Rant over, lol

Last edited:
I'd go for the officially supported box myself for another £40 or so. Problem with the zgemma is that you're relying on the company to change the vix image every time which is fine while they still support it but would leave you with an obsolete box if they stop. vix support the lx2 so it will continue to be useable whilst they produce an image. Reading these forums, it seems the officially supported open atv image doesn't even work properly (although that may be rectified). Functionality and speed wise I'd expect them to be very similar so you pays your money and makes your choice

My take on it is quite simple, if you want to run Vix then I would pay the extra for a box which has their official support for two reasons,

First these people spend time developing the image and should have the right to support what ever boxes they choose, for what ever reason they want.
Likewise if the Zgemma is supported by other developers then they should promote the box with an official image of some description from elsewhere and not mod the vix image.
But I guess that would make the box a less attractive purchase.

Secondly, in the long run I suspect support will drop for this box as mentioned, a new box will probably be released look at the openbox / skybox / libertview / then back to openbox saga,
The new box will have support so people will be pushed down the road of buying the newer model, we are then getting into Starview territory.

I may be wrong but that's my two penneths worth.

Last edited:
You can use my backup image to get your box up and running, just download the file located here:

http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/67979-xpeed-lx2-image-backup.html

Follow the setup instructions and your done, its set for an nline which are regarded as better than clines so you need a newcamd.list file from your supplier to get the channels running. Just use a FTP program like filzilla or Dreambox Control Centre to transfer your nile to the box.

As for why this box is better than the zgemma, yes its supported by Vix so updates don't require a complete reflash, just update via the box and its keeps all your settings in place, also yes they are close in Spec but the Xpeed is better but its upto personal taste and cost, the zgemma is cheaper so is very appealing. But that said I;m sure other with more expensive boxes would say that the xpeed is rubbish compared to their box.
thanks people ,
forcefire, my box is coming with vix team image preloaded , if I use your backup image will that overwrite the preloaded one ?
sorry if this is a daft question , but I am learning ;-)

I've read a few threads and I'm still not sure which box to go for. I like that WOS offer a two year warranty on the XPEED so should it go wrong (like my last box) I'm covered for two years.

It's handy to be able to just update OTA and not have to reflash. But I'm sure I'd just set it up and only update when I had to for whatever reason. I'm more of the if it ain't broke don't fix it type so wouldn't want to keep messing about with it. I'm just not sure I can justify paying £40+ more. Not a lot to some, but it is to me.

I really need to start being more decisive. I need to decide ASAP, my sly gets cut off next week and I don't mind much the loss of channels I do mind not being able to record.

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread OP!

Last edited:
Lyceum, only you can decide. You need to way up the diferences and decide whats best for you. Yes OTA updates are usefull and you know VIX will continue support for the box and like you said its got a 2yr warrantly with so your covered but at £40 more is it worth the cost?

My advice is if you want something in the short term then get the zgemma and you can look to upgrade to another box later, save up for a "fancy box" and then sell the zgemma (still worth money if you sell it setup) but if you want longer term then spend the extra and get the Xpeed. Both zgemma and the Xpeed have pre-loaded images on here so you can just load and use without the setup headache.
I purchased the Xpeed as I wont be changing the box for atleast a year or more so wanted that 2yr & Offical VIX support peice of mind BUT its your choice :)

I will say one thing and thats good for you in getting rid of sly, so far the savings I've made have already paid for my 1yr line cost and by the end of May the savings will have paid for my Xpeed box too so after that its all FREE viewing till next yr, lol

Lyceum, only you can decide. You need to way up the diferences and decide whats best for you. Yes OTA updates are usefull and you know VIX will continue support for the box and like you said its got a 2yr warrantly with so your covered but at £40 more is it worth the cost?

My advice is if you want something in the short term then get the zgemma and you can look to upgrade to another box later, save up for a "fancy box" and then sell the zgemma (still worth money if you sell it setup) but if you want longer term then spend the extra and get the Xpeed. Both zgemma and the Xpeed have pre-loaded images on here so you can just load and use without the setup headache.
I purchased the Xpeed as I wont be changing the box for atleast a year or more so wanted that 2yr & Offical VIX support peice of mind BUT its your choice :)

I will say one thing and thats good for you in getting rid of sly, so far the savings I've made have already paid for my 1yr line cost and by the end of May the savings will have paid for my Xpeed box too so after that its all FREE viewing till next yr, lol

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the 2 year warranty is swaying me.

I'm not really bothered about a more expensive or fancier box. As long as I can record two things at the same time/record one watch another, use auto timer and have a 7 day EPG I'm happy.

What's the remote like on the XPEED?

If I use forcefire 's backup image will it overwrite the preloaded vix team image ?
sorry if it's a daft question , I'm learning :-)

Lyceum: The remote is nice, well laid out. Light to hold and easy to use and not very thick or wide so fits in 1 hand with ease, the keys are responsive and in general a good remote, better that some of the other remotes I've had lol I've set my box up so that Tuner A is my viewing tuner and Tuner B is my recording tuner then I don't have to worry about messing telling the box which tuner to use. My personal opinon is get the xpeed if you can afford the little extra, the 2yr warranty puts my mind at ease (ebay only offers 180days help) and the offical support helps me know the box will be updated. BUT its your choice and I wont put you off the zgemma if you want to spend less, that has a good remote too and I'm sure it will be supported for sometime to come.

Noste500: Yes the image will overwrite the preinstall VIX image but only with the lastest version 160, it also has the latest mg_camd 1.38 installed with the cfg file too so you just need to add your nline to get the channels showing. You can set the box up yourself, my image just gives your box a pre-installed image to use, you can always make changes once its installed. For a newbie I would recommend you use my image (I started that way with scumnsee images for the ibox 2).

Hope this helps you both :)

Last edited:
Lyceum: The remote is nice, well laid out. Light to hold and easy to use and not very thick or wide so fits in 1 hand with ease, the keys are responsive and in general a good remote, better that some of the other remotes I've had lol I've set my box up so that Tuner A is my viewing tuner and Tuner B is my recording tuner then I don't have to worry about messing telling the box which tuner to use. My personal opinon is get the xpeed if you can afford the little extra, the 2yr warranty puts my mind at ease (ebay only offers 180days help) and the offical support helps me know the box will be updated. BUT its your choice and I wont put you off the zgemma if you want to spend less, that has a good remote too and I'm sure it will be supported for sometime to come.

Thanks.

The remote on my last box was shocking. It actually hurt your fingers if you had to do more than change channel. The buttons were like little rocks that often didn't register so needed to be pressed several times.

Does that mean you can't record two things at the same time (whilst watching one of the programs being recorded I mean) I do that quite often. Since not everyone who wants to watch whatever it is will be there as its broadcast. So I often record the show I'm watching and another show at the same time.

I assumed the box would just automatically know what tuner to record with etc and all that would be automatic.

Back