Recording to a Windows share

Bullhurly

Evening,

Ive been searching the forums and online for a guide or solution to my issue with no luck, if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
I have the ZGemma H.2S, running the woosh build, i have a 8GB usb drive set up and working, i also have a W8 HP Gen 8 micro server with NTFS file system on my network i use as a file/media/backup server.
I would like to setup the ZGema to send recordings to the Windows box, and keep the EPG and Timeshift on the USB. This setup will be handy when i set up another 2 box's so i can share the location, and also provide some redundancy as the Win box runs raid 1.
Also my wife records way too much Emerdale and Corra for my poor USB.

My issue is that i believe i will need to do this by mounting a share on the ZGemma, and then directing the recordings to the mount, in the settings for the mount i dont even see a "\" i am used to networking drives with a unc path \\PC-A\share\Zgemma etc
What is the file system required and the share protocol, will the Zgemma need exclusive access to the drive.

I am actually supprised a guide didn't pop up in the first Google tbh, i have seen posts from people using nas and shares, i have seen mention of the "mount" but can't seem to find an actual mount walkthrough or vid.

Also that .bat file from wooshman is appreciated and a class touch!

Anyway thanks in advance,

Bull

not tried windows but sorted it on the NAS easily enough.

For me it was settings/network/mount then search the network for the location. Select the location (not necessarily the folder but the general location).

Once that is taken care of, you then chose the recording settings and point to the general location and can then get further through the folders to the final location you want.

So for me I started by mounting my NAS, then when in the recording settings, selected the appropriate folder/sub folder.

Hi richsimpson,

Thank you for the reply, i have enabled samba, mounted the share and activated it.
When i goto recording setup and hilight the network share i get the message "Invalid location" i'm wondering if the share has to be a certain format.
May i ask what the build of your nas is please, a linux box, freenas etc?

I know that HDDs that are plugged in to your box must be initialised by the box before you can record to them, so it might be the same with NAS.

Setup > System > Storage Devices > Initialise.

But doing that will wipe anything you've got on the drive.

Hi sytemlord,

Thanks for the reply, thats what i'm affraid of tbh, i might be completely wrong but i can watch media from a network location on any windows file system with cifs or samba, linux or otherwise, but to actually use a location as a recording location, it first has to be initialised (formatted with correct file system) and will indeed wipe my ntfs file share/drive, unless i can partition it.

I guess unless someone has a solution i may have to bite the bullet and buy another drive and add it to my router as a share, initialize it and use it only for the ZGemma box's.

i did find this in the forum tho,

The settings are similar if not same as others recording to pc connected internal drives.

- mount using: AutoFS
- local share: anyshare_name
- mount type: cifs
- server ip: IP_add_of_nas
- server share: sharefolder _on_nas
-use hdd replacement: yes
-mount options: rw,nolock,sec=ntlm
-username/password for nas share.

from sh500 on this forum,
i used those settings, but the mention of "people using a pc internal drive" got my hopes up, maybee a dedicated drive.

thanks again tho for the help.

It's a wd my cloud nas. Linux I think?

---------- Post Merged at 08:00 PM ----------

Lots of options in the menu/setup/system/network.
I used mounts then network browser

I've just had the same issue, the mount worked fine but I kept getting an 'invalid location' error. The problem for me was that the share must have folders, I've no idea why.

\\server\share - did not work
\\server\share\folder - works

So for me I ended up with

\\server\share\timer
\\server\share\instant

For some reason it's still recording to \\server\share and ignoring the folders completely. Not a massive issue but would be nice to solve, anyone else had this problem?

For some reason it's still recording to \\server\share and ignoring the folders completely. Not a massive issue but would be nice to solve, anyone else had this problem?

Solved this problem, don't go into the folder, just highlight it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite new to this but having issues recording to my FreeNAS server from my Zgemma. I keep getting "Disk full" message. The box is a H2S and it's running OpenVIX.

If anyone can help with this it would be very much appreciated.

I have a Synology DiskStation DS215j and my settings are:
1_0_1_D368_830_2_11A0000_0_0_0.jpgUsername and password for the NAS are on the next page.

---------- Post Merged at 12:38 PM ----------

Just to clarify, I don't need to put the path to the folder in, just the NAS IP address and the name of the shared folder.

Thanks Willo3092!

It's bizzare but those were my original settings. I changed the "Mount options" based on another post, still didn't work - changed them back and BANG all is well :)

I had also rebuilt the box with Wooshbuild - I like a lot!!

Back