Restore discs

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
I have just bought a new acer and have made backup copes of the system. But now i have transferred everything i want to restore my old acer back to origional where do i find the programme so i can make a backup for recovery. the acer i had was an acer aspire T180

first you have to back up your drivers, noely reccommended this free program to me Driver Max 5.5, you then keep the backup aside, maybe on a flash drive.
then you find the operating system disc that came with your acer, and you reformat the O/S, then you reinstal the drivers using the drivermax program.

ah Wheelo thats the problem it didnt come with any disk it was pre installed ( like they all are) even my new one But the new one give you 3 disks and tells you 1st thing to do is back up all files on those disks.
plus forgot to mention its not just XP its windows XP Media Centre (thingymabob)

mine is a dell and came with xp pro disc, never heard of the XP media(thingummylol) i will have a look around and get back when i have a better idea(y)
by the way linny, did the acer come with recovery discs??

Last edited:
no! just blank discs for me to do recovery on - i remembers that from another post on here - but unfortunatly i think its one that got lost!! :( on win7 acers you go to all progrs, acer, acerrecovery plus it also has acer backup manager

this from the microsoft site
Prerequisites
Windows Installation CD
Before you start, have your Windows installation CD and the product key available. Without these, you cannot reinstall Windows. If Windows was preinstalled on your computer, contact the computer manufacturer for help in obtaining the Windows installation files and product key.
Device drivers
Many of the device drivers for your hardware components are integrated into Windows. However, devices such as printers, monitors, graphic cards, sound cards, modems, external drives, and scanners usually have separate installation CDs. If you do not have all the drivers for your hardware components, you can download the drivers from the Internet and then write them to a CD.

this might be a bit simple too, but here goes, have you tried a system restore to a time that is as far back as possible?

also why do you want to reset it?, is it giving you problems? or are you going to give it to someone and dont want them to have access to your old files?

Code:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-xpmce2005-mainmenuSM.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kindel.com/blogs/charlie/archive/2004/10.aspx&usg=__BnBH7En7PYne4ixOj0m0bNo2SNA=&h=450&w=600&sz=59&hl=en&start=8&sig2=B72A88lGAHReT3T7-EJBmg&itbs=1&tbnid=RgeNl1y_ItO0_M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwindows%2Bxp%2Bmedia%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=0A3rS9asC8S0sgbR17SJDw
abouve is a link to a piccie its windows medica centre edition

Not sure Linny,but this might help
Code:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppasr.html

also why do you want to reset it?, is it giving you problems? or are you going to give it to someone and dont want them to have access to your old files?
yes its only about 3-4 yrs old but plan on selling it. I have a copy of xp home but coz the pc in question has the media centre on it the xp home does not include that.
Didnt think of going back as far as pos with the restore. good idea!

I have never bought a pc or lappy that came with a copy of the OS they have always been pre installed before getting to electrical stores like comet/currys eyc and now new windows 7 dont come with any disks as far as i know!

Not sure Linny,but this might help
Code:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppasr.html

thanks Sin:no that looks and sounds simple enough ill give that a go 2mora - ah just read it and its says " The ASR process is only available for Windows XP Professional." but ill see what it has on the pc 2mora - to late now to be playing with machines lol been setting up new one all day and transfering stuff etc

its true that some other xp's did'nt come with this but i know you can download it and add the ability to backup xp to the accesories tab,i got it around 2 months ago for another machine,let me know if you need it and i will find it for you

the system kept resetting before i could get onto the support pages, but glad you finally found the right page

Acer /PB/ Emachines are all same company, recovery disks are quite eay to aquire, did youtry alt f10 on boot for hdd recovery?

edited-- by the way, the disks are not provided with purchase of these computers, you are promted to make your own ;) and can only make them once ,, untill you have restored,, although recovery is also inbuilt into hidden partition, so try the alt f10 on boot, keep hitting it

Last edited:
my solution is one along the lines of a piracy nature :) just download one :) would recommend downloading all drivers from acer website first and save the executable files to a usb stick or external hdd, once its reinstalled you can apply all the drivers...

its true that some other xp's did'nt come with this but i know you can download it and add the ability to backup xp to the accesories tab,i got it around 2 months ago for another machine,let me know if you need it and i will find it for you

Thanks i think i might need that! cheers

I have tried the Alt F10 but its not working read somewhere that they tell you to do that but it doesnt work. now trying the e button
Retore only goes back a couple of months due to having a virus on it

its not a windows restore,, its a genuine restore to factory image, and is only on f10 or altf10 on this machine. It wont work if boot partition is screwed.
If it dont work you need use a oem disk and install all the drivers manually as instructed above

thanks Eva i have an xp disk but this pc had the media centre on it which is what i was trying to get back but ive tried everything so far and look like my only way it to install that disk and just have normal XP on it

Back