Samsung Galaxy A3

BarrySh

Hi, pensioner here so please be gentle. I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 which like me is old but meets my needs. It's Android version 6.0.1 I have just received a message from my bank (Nationwide) saying that Android 5 & 6 users can't use their App from the end of Aug as it will no longer work. To continue to use the App I need to upgrade my operating system to Android 7 or above. Can my phone be upgraded or do I need a new one. Thanks

Have you gone into settings on your phone then to software updates which should update your operating system (android)

Hi, pensioner here so please be gentle. I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 which like me is old but meets my needs. It's Android version 6.0.1 I have just received a message from my bank (Nationwide) saying that Android 5 & 6 users can't use their App from the end of Aug as it will no longer work. To continue to use the App I need to upgrade my operating system to Android 7 or above. Can my phone be upgraded or do I need a new one. Thanks
Hi, thanks for advice so far. Just tried that and after search it said most up to date updates were already installed. It was set to Auto Update. Sounds like I know what i'm talking about but believe me I don't. I tried contacting Samsung but got Autobot and then someone who just wanted to sell me a new phone. When I pressed her between talking a load of shite I think she said Android version 6 was the highest that phone would go to. Think she knew less than me.

Hi, thanks for advice so far. Just tried that and after search it said most up to date updates were already installed. It was set to Auto Update. Sounds like I know what i'm talking about but believe me I don't. I tried contacting Samsung but got Autobot and then someone who just wanted to sell me a new phone. When I pressed her between talking a load of shite I think she said Android version 6 was the highest that phone would go to. Think she knew less than me.
I had an old Samsung and went through the same thing due to my banking app.
I tried everything to upgrade the android version but couldn't do it.
I ended up buying a new cheap Android phone, about £80.
I had no idea how or what to do when I got the new one but it turned out to be simplicity itself.
The new phone, a Redmi asked if I wanted to grab everything off the Samsung and after five minutes of clicking yes and no it brought everything over from the old phone itself.
There was a few pics and other files I had to do manually, but these I just emailed to myself and then downloaded them when I opened my email on the new phone

It looks like you have the Samsung Galaxy A3. Confusingly, there is also a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) which is a different, newer model.

Android 6.0.1 is the last version available for that phone.

Being honest, android 6 is very, very old now. It was released in 2015. It's time for a new phone.

For your requirements any phone made in 2019 or 2020 would be a big upgrade.

If you like Samsung, you could pick probably pick up a used Galaxy A10 or A20 from 2019 for cheap but you would be taking a chance on the condition.

It looks like you have the Samsung Galaxy A3. Confusingly, there is also a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) which is a different, newer model.

Android 6.0.1 is the last version available for that phone.

Being honest, android 6 is very, very old now. It was released in 2015. It's time for a new phone.

For your requirements any phone made in 2019 or 2020 would be a big upgrade.

If you like Samsung, you could pick probably pick up a used Galaxy A10 or A20 from 2019 for cheap but you would be taking a chance on the condition.
Thanks for that I wondered about the 2017. Got mine free with a 2016 new car so owes me nowt. I really like it because it's so light and thin. Even like the small 10cm screen as I dont play games on it. Don't think I could cope with one of these moderm 6.5 inch screens. Cheers

It'll be hard to fine a modern phone that small now but bezels are smaller now which makes it a bit more palatable.

If you need recommendations on a update, post your budget and I'm sure people here will be able to provide good suggestions.

Back