Sat box choice vu+ SoloSEV2/Zero - openbox v8s - old openbox f5s ---feedback welcome

JustNow

Hi All,

:whistling:

Been using f5s box for some time and noticed that there is never boxes available:

vu+ SoloSEV2/Zero - openbox v8s

Not interested in recording or pausing (tho might be good time to start using these) - Questions would be:

Picture quality sd channels?
Picture quality hd channels?
Sound quality?
Speed of change channels?
Turn on time?
Freezing issues?
Out of sync sound issues?
Any boxes that support sd up scaling?

Some specs I have gathered across web - it looks some upgrade -- but is it worth the effort and ££ for change? Please suggest your choices with some background why?
(I prob missed some other important details...)

vu+ SoloSEV2
vu+ Zero
Openbox v8s
f5s
CPU (MHZ)
2x1300742
2x600
2x396
Memory (RAM - MB)
FLASH (MB)
8 ??
4 ??

Thank you in advance!!! I think some constructive comparison would be helpful for all...

Maybe start here?

I cant rate the solo2 high enough, especially if speed is important.

Thank you gmangt4 - seems cleared my mind.

---------- Post Merged at 11:05 PM ----------

You got to have a twin tuner nowadays especially with sat side being a bit risky at the moment !

Are you referring to sly boxes being replaced to HD ones - which is immune to sharing?

Cable is tricky one - if you are not in area.....

WEBTV - does anyone does any good ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cable / and sat are not immune to sharing , no such thing as future proof , you just have to be ahead of the game ! (y)

I think running out was referring to a multi tuner, like the zgemma H2 or H1, cable and Sat? I have 2 solo2's an an xtrend et10000, the et100000 has twin sat and twin cable, my solos'2s have USB tuners for the cable side.....but as you say if no Vermin in your area then no good getting a cable tuner.....the technomate TM-nano 2 super is also a cracking box that also can take an internal HDD. So many to choose from...like cars lol.

I wish we could get hd chanels over sat again.... As it been over a year now with out them...
Not to mention 4k tv's in a wild and prices is about right for 48" high/decent spec for ~1300...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Motorized dish and multi-sat sub and you can get them....but can be expensive and unreliable. I personally can't see it ever returning in the Sly guise, cable has them but not everyone can get cable, maybe IPTV could be next to be the next big thing but GOOD HD streams use lots of bandwidth......

Ref reliable :

Line provider
Broadband
Box
Line type ccam or nline

Wonder how much is depending here on box?
Ccam seems is worse then newcamd(nline) - and some people claim nline is much better? To such level that only pross provide nline in mgcamd**
Any thougts on above? Been using ccam so far - was okay at first but started to get freezes. Trying some test line and seems still get brieff freezes on specific ch - much better then before. Box f5s - thats why started this discussion to see if never/quality boxes or provider would resolve the issue...

OOOHHH a moving target lol

Its way off topic but N lines will run in cccam, I can put my sat line in cccam/mgcamd/oscam and it runs the same, but some servers insist you use mgcamd......

I had an F5s for a year as a starter box and never had any issues with it once I learned to keep the channel lists up to date, same with firmware and a periodic reboot of my router, i went to an ibox/zgemma to get the more features(EPG) but had to endless tinker, so now have solo2's.....love them lol
As for broadband I have sly fibre and VM 153Mb, not difference on either as to performance.

Back to topic :)

Does any boxes support any sort upscaling? Seems some technomate boxes does upscaling or claims so

Anyone got any expierence with upscaling?

They all do upscaling....some better than others, all my boxes have 1.3ghz dual cores and upscale very well, with the zgemmas I have to turn on sound delay on my set up to prevent lip sync issues, but with Vu, Xtrend, Technomate, no issues
The technomate TM-nano 2 super is a stonking box too

---------- Post Merged at 12:58 PM ----------

I also like an internal HDD

Hi gmangt4 if you had to put a number from 1 to 5 (higher better) by comparing picture quality solo2/tn nano2 versus f5s what it would be for sd ch?

As i have f5s now and not looking for more functions - so getting never/quality box may not be that quantified if no real benefits(the ones that matter to me) added.... in terms of picture/sound quality....

Speed of ch change is nice to have but once you watching specific ch it does not matter..
Thanx

Last edited:
Just my suggustion - XpeedLX2 is a great box, low cost and does everything I want it to do with a problem, never failed me either, good quality build. Its a twin tuner box so you can record 1 channel while watching another. The VU boxes are solid but more expensive, as for the F5, not a chance unless it was for a second box to watch the footy on when my wife kicks me off the TV, lol

As for a line, I've always found nline via Mgcam more stable but on my son's V8s the nline running in CCcam works just fine

Last edited:
I find if you calibrate your TV then thats normally the biggest improvement, I was looking at a V8S on a Panasonic plasma, not LCD, earlier and the pic was superb, but his TV is calibrated.

Best boxes that I have seen for SD picture is the amiko's and the solo2's, but that is subjective to my old eyes......I found that sometimes newer firmware can help pic quality as they can contain drivers for the upscaler.

Back