SCAM - In-laws paid £299 upfront to Tivium boiler under the Government greener scheme

finlouhol

Another scam to be aware of!! In-laws paid £299 upfront to Tivium with regards to getting a new boiler under the Government get greener scheme. Looks like many have fell foul of this company and all elderly, just a disgrace, my father-in-law has cancer amongst many other health problems. Only just found out today that he originally rang a benefits helpline enquiring about a new boiler, he was told he didn't qualify so put the phone down, only seconds later this company rang him offering a boiler, £299 upfront 7 days to cancel. Visit by one of their representatives was scheduled for after the 7 day cooling off period, at the visit in-laws realised the boiler wasn't free, they would be paying for it over a number of years so did not go ahead. £299 out of pocket as are many others, terrible, please spread the word, also very suspicious they received a phone call immediately after enquiring via the benefit line, was it intercepted or is someone passing on details?!!! :(

Hi, I moved this to its own thread, others will see it much easier this way.

Thanks.

If I was to guess (and I am) your in laws saw something in the press about this scheme, then googled it, this brought them to these peoples site, they rang the number (thinking it was an official .gov site) to be told they didn't qualify. they then hung up, only to be rang back by this company (only not now purporting to be anything to do with Government scheme) and conned into paying £299.

No they have no clue how to use the internet, they rang the Government Benefits Helpline which they found in the telephone book (he showed me and it is a Government number) which is the worrying thing about this, they didn't make the connection until I was questioning them on exactly what had happened. They were told about the scheme by a plumber and only used this company as they contacted them following their enquiry. For this company to ring within seconds of my father-in-law speaking to an advisor on the Benefits helpline I feel there must be some connection, he's 82 suffering from cancer and a number of other serious health problems, disgusting !! After looking into this there appear to be many other unsatisfied customers, one man has cancelled within the 7 day period yet still waiting for a refund, others have been waiting some time and still haven't had their boilers fitted, such lowlife to prey on the elderly and vulnerable. Would be interesting to find out exactly how this company got my in-law's number, sounds rather dodgy to me!!

Tivium Rip Off

Another scam to be aware of!! In-laws paid £299 upfront to Tivium with regards to getting a new boiler under the Government get greener scheme. Looks like many have fell foul of this company and all elderly, just a disgrace, my father-in-law has cancer amongst many other health problems. Only just found out today that he originally rang a benefits helpline enquiring about a new boiler, he was told he didn't qualify so put the phone down, only seconds later this company rang him offering a boiler, £299 upfront 7 days to cancel. Visit by one of their representatives was scheduled for after the 7 day cooling off period, at the visit in-laws realised the boiler wasn't free, they would be paying for it over a number of years so did not go ahead. £299 out of pocket as are many others, terrible, please spread the word, also very suspicious they received a phone call immediately after enquiring via the benefit line, was it intercepted or is someone passing on details?!!! :(

I too paid Tivium £299 for a Green Deal Survey which Npower said it should be free. Npower did a survey today for free and totally contradicts the Tivium survey which I have waited for since April. I have tonight issued them with an ulitamatum, refund or meet me in court.
SiidSnot

I received a letter from my local MP regarding this matter, she wrote to the Department of Energy & Climate Change who explained that Tivium are not authorised under the Green Deal scheme and are a rouge company that the Department are aware of and have reported to the Trading Standards. The advice from Gregory Baker MP at the Department of Energy & Climate Change was to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0854040506 to report this, unfortunately my in laws did not pursue this but I hope is helpful to you. Best of luck with your action as they deserve to be put out of business!!!

I received a letter from my local MP regarding this matter, she wrote to the Department of Energy & Climate Change who explained that Tivium are not authorised under the Green Deal scheme and are a rouge company that the Department are aware of and have reported to the Trading Standards. The advice from Gregory Baker MP at the Department of Energy & Climate Change was to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0854040506 to report this, unfortunately my in laws did not pursue this but I hope is helpful to you. Best of luck with your action as they deserve to be put out of business!!!

Thanks for that info, I have made it quite clear to them that I will chase them via the small claims court unless I get a full refund, I will also contact my MP. again thanks for your feedback. In truth I blame the Gov for their 2 adds re Green Energy which give conflicting advice which I assume confused your in laws as it confused me.
Regards Siid

You're welcome and yes can be confusing which gives these rouge companies the chance to 'con' people.

Good luck (y)

Tivium contacted me today to apologise for the delay in responding to my e=mail due to an overflowing mail box, I wonder why?
Since my last post I have done some digging on Tivium, they have completed less than 1% of the work contracted to them, any charge for a Green Deal Survey should be free and to charge is illegal. They are also under deep investigation by Trading Standards and my MP informs me the DTI are looking at them. I have spoken with the head of the Green Deal regulators about sueing but they say not to bother because Tivium will be ordered to refund all if they have the funds but it is more than likely they will declare bankruptsy.
For those of you who have recieved a positive report from them I suggest you take it up with another Green Deal supplier and get the work done. I have conflicting reports on funding, the first is that Gov money has run out for this year, the other is if you have a report the money is available.

Thanks for the update Sid, not that it is very helpful to your situation. Hopefully they will be shut down sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the update Sid, not that it is very helpful to your situation. Hopefully they will be shut down sooner rather than later.

I suspect they will be gone very soon. I refered my case to my MP who wrote to Trading Standards who were very tight lipped and refered me to my council who rang me and told me to who to contact and their phone numbers. This tell me that Trading Standards do not want to go public and show their investigation.

Just a quick update, my MP has been in touch and I have passed details of my in-law's case on to Trading Standards so things are progressing. Also there was an article in the newspaper on 5th Feb about this company, hopefully action will be brought very soon!!

Back