SD or USB and what Size is everyone using

king132

Hi all,

Set up my HS2 last night with a 5.2 atv build on here. Box works great - impressed with the speed generally and managed to get the live pause working which was great.

I've got a 1tb hdd from my old S2 which i'll use for recordings. But would be interested in finding out if people are using the Micro SD slot or the USB slot for the general storage for picons/ epg etc. Are there any benefits or disadvantages of either?

Also the live pausing - im assuming this uses up some of the memory. Would what be decent size sd/usb to have in it permanently. On my S2 i had a 8gb sandisk cruzer fit nicely in the front which was plenty. I get the feeling it wouldnt be enough for the HS2?

Cheers

Personally I would use a 64GB micro sd card for epg and timeshift & the 1TB for recordings, picons & movies etc.
If you pause, rewind for a long time then I would just have a 8gb micro sd card with epg on there and timeshift on the hdd.
I'm yet to get the SD card to work on my H.2H on openvix, so I cant tell you when the performance is like or if there is any problems etc. but I imagine there wouldn't be

Make sure you get a decent branded SD card from a good source, Not feabay as there's loads of fakes going around.
Class 10

1tb out the back for recordings
64gb in the sd for, picons, epg and timeshift

its a 64gb because they where cheap in Argos and the 1tb was cheap from WD on their site
i go for what's good value at the time no real planning

Personally I would use a 64GB micro sd card for epg and timeshift & the 1TB for recordings, picons & movies etc.
If you pause, rewind for a long time then I would just have a 8gb micro sd card with epg on there and timeshift on the hdd.
I'm yet to get the SD card to work on my H.2H on openvix, so I cant tell you when the performance is like or if there is any problems etc. but I imagine there wouldn't be

Thanks for the reply Burlesy.

I was under the impression you would keep the picons off the HDD and on the USB isntead?! - that way the HDD doesnt get used as much when not recording (not spinning all the time).
I was thinking a 8/16 or 32gb SD or USB for the picons/ epg/ timeshift and then maybe the 1tb HDD purely just for recordings.

---------- Post Merged at 01:13 PM ----------

Ok. Cheers lads looks like a 64gb SD it is then. would somethig like this be OK:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Class10-MicroSDXC-Adapter-Included/dp/B0162YQHJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1458133881&sr=1-1&keywords=64gb+micro+sd

Yeah good thinking, I'm not entirely sure if the HDD still spins when flicking through channels(because of picons) or if it caches the picons which I highly doubt.

Totally agree with dangerous, get a class10 Micro SD Card, so it deals with data transfer quicker (when it updates the EPG, Timeshift Etc.). Also get a good brand like SanDisk or Samsung - from my experience they are the top two I've came across, but there really isn't much difference.

Back