Windows 10 Selling pc thats been updated to windows 10 how do i do fresh install

Hello I bought a second hand Acer Revo One PC with windows 10 on it but no install disc ( I don't know if it was updated to windows 10 from windows 7 by the previous owner ) and I registered it with Microsoft.
Anyways I want to sell it now so how do I install windows so all my information is removed and so the new owner can re-register windows 10 with Microsoft ?
I have read previous posts on this subject but haven't found any answering the question of another person re-registering windows 10.

Oops didn't realise i had some replies. Thanks for suggestions, I will give the second one a go first, it never occurred to me that it could have a reset facility, I'm just worried that putting a fresh copy of windows 10 on will mean the buyer wouldn't be able to register it with microsoft.

From what I have read about Windows 10, once it has been installed on a computer, Microsoft store a hardware signature for it. So, if you re-install from scratch their servers will recognise and activate automatically.
You could test this by doing a clean install on a different hard drive, then your data really will be safe.
(you can change the hard drive, but if you change the motherboard it will no longer be activated)

From what I have read about Windows 10, once it has been installed on a computer, Microsoft store a hardware signature for it. So, if you re-install from scratch their servers will recognise and activate automatically.
You could test this by doing a clean install on a different hard drive, then your data really will be safe.
(you can change the hard drive, but if you change the motherboard it will no longer be activated)

You are quite correct and this is by far the safest option, (different hard drive) which leaves the PC completely cleaned for new customer.

Some laptops have a restore partition containing the original image of say win7. You can use this to restore your laptop after putting win 10 (crap) on by mistake.

REinstall win 10

You can change the motherboard on a comp and re-activate Win10. The trick is to change as little as possible and leave the working Win10 on the hard drive. Microsoft will re-activate no problem the you can change something else afterwards, even change for another hard drive.

Psalm

You can change the motherboard on a comp and re-activate Win10. The trick is to change as little as possible and leave the working Win10 on the hard drive. Microsoft will re-activate no problem the you can change something else afterwards, even change for another hard drive.
Psalm

there are legal 100% ways to view your existing windows 10 legal activation product key before you even think of doing anything, once found you should make sure your or anyone reading this notes it down ALWAYS keep it noted down somewhere where you can find it, look around the internet in the correct places and you will find ways of doing it, its simple enough, whatever you do don't download any apps or programs that pretend to do this for you as I can bet 99.9% of them would load you pc etc with loads of never ending crazy Malware (but its messes up your pc in the meantime), Malware isn't a major problem but sometimes even for experts its a right pain in the sacks to get rid of sometimes, trust me.
100% safe option is download and install Aida64, it will show you very clearly your Windows operating system Product Key which is what you require (not the product ID, people get mixed up) (or anyone else for that matter that is reading this post) only download Aida64 from their main site and you will get no malware or viruses or nuffin, thats guaranteed, (https://www.aida64.) I dont want to put the full link in as I dont know what I am allowed to post or not on this website yet, but you can guess the part that come after the 64.

@Psalm, your right too mate, its more to do with changing to a different type of motherboard, not usually anything to do with the hard drivé, but either way, sometimes windows 10 can be funny, its one of those situations that you don't know until you try, I have switched out a motherboard and CPU with exact same models as they were faulty and it was fine, but I have heard it just depends, windows 10 I have got and stuck with on my main pc, I hate it although it is good enough once you use the likes of things like DoNotSpy10 (latest editions etc) apart from that windows 10 is ok but its a cpu hogger man unless you stop all those processes.

anyone needing any help just pm me or shout on here, but if you want me then pm probably best as I aint here all the time, cheers man.

Last edited:
I updated from 7 to windows 10 and not a fan. Wish i stayed in 7. Any tips to speed windows 10 up as it takes an age for it to fully load up,as in I have to wait before I can start to open folders etc as its doing background crap.
Cheers

I also updated to windows 10 for free when it first came out and ended up going back to windows 8.1

I updated from 7 to windows 10 and not a fan. Wish i stayed in 7. Any tips to speed windows 10 up as it takes an age for it to fully load up,as in I have to wait before I can start to open folders etc as its doing background crap.
Cheers

use the latest/newest version of a small program called DoNotSpy10 and that stops most of all the junk you dont need with windows 10, simple and free :)

use jellybean keyfinder to find product key for windows 10 to view or save to notepad, download iso image from media creator make sure you have the right windows 10, burn to disc, boot from disc, install, when asked for product key type in key, wait ,activated next will be drivers but windows 10 is very helpfull with that nowadays hope this helps

Back