Setup home VPN

UkSounds

Hi, just after some advice, I run a ZGemma box with openvix (latest image) and I'm wanting to make it all a bit more secure (for certain reasons lol)

I've read that you can configure a raspberry pi as a cheap private vpn server, has anyone done this before and could it work?

As I see it the sat box connects to the router through an Ethernet cable as does the raspberry pi, so I'm unsure how this would work!!

Thanks

I use purevpn but there are many around, saw this morning someone uses private internet access, I had a look and it seems like a good one as well. Look to pay around £30 a year for a decent/fast server. I have done a thread on making sure ALL your outgoing traffic is anonymous, check this out here

Thanks for that mate. I don't access anything that's geographically restricted so I want my vpn to be UK based as I use Netflix so that's why I suggested the use of a pi to make my own vpn. This means my sat box and Netflix is anonymous right?

You shouldnt need it for your sat box and netflix to be anonymous really. The vpn suppliers have servers all over the world including the uk so you can just choose the uk if you want. I have just checked and it looks really complicated, look at this tutorial and compare with my other tutorial and see which you think is more viable, safe and easier

Last edited:
Thanks, I've read your great guide and will do that.
Quick question I have fibre and have 2 boxes one is the modem I think and the other is some router (this isn't dd-wrt compatible) so do I plug a new dd-wrt router into the old router which is plugged into the modem and then plug everything else into this new router?

Yes, plug the new router into the router that you normally connect to the internet with, and then connect everything you have to the new router, via ethernet of wifi

Hi, I've just bought a linksys wrt54g and flashed it with dd-wrt, but I can't get it to work, I've currently got my modem connected to the fibre in port on my old router, then from LAN 4 to the 'internet' port on my new router, is this correct and are there any additional settings because it just has 'no internet access' coming up all the time, it's driving me mad lol

you should connect the lan port to your wan/internet port on your new router and change the settings on your new router, give it an ip address range outside the range on your old router

Last edited:
Yeah that's exactly what I've done plus dhcp is also enabled. I've tried all sorts of other things but it just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for your help tonight, I've finally got it all working. The one thing I've noticed though is how much slower my connection is through a vpn. I'm using purevpn and its gone from around 15 meg to a little under 1 meg now!!!

change your server to either a french server or luxembourg, they always work perfect and fast for me

---------- Post Merged at 10:13 PM ----------

acutally, just swap between TCP and UDP, whatever it is on now, just change to the opposite and see if there is a difference

So lets say you have a vpn with one of the sites you use ? And your " speed " is suffering can you just log into their site and swap to a vpn address of your choice ?
just for a novice like me can you explain the advantages of running the new vpn through the second router as opposed to just using a vpn with your existing router.
to be fair i have never used TSmedia on my plus2 yet , i have a T8 android box sat next to it and use that for , movies and sports streams, am i missing out ?

Back